06-12-2014, 11:35 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Hello fellow nookers. I have a couple of questions or topics I'd like to bring up to y'all and see if you have any feedback, experience, or opinions on the matter.

A few months back I began to experience severe razor burn and irritation after my shaves and had to eventually stop shaving all together to try and isolate the problem. First thing I did was to eliminate my use of shaving oils, but the burn continued to return after each shave.

The second thing I did was to eliminate all use of aftershaves, but again the burn and irritation continued to return.

Thirdly I eliminated the use of all new soaps and resorted to only using soaps I knew I had no sensitivity to; meaning I resorted to only shaving with S. Maria (my favorite and a product I have gotten probably 100 successful shaves out of previously with no ill effects), but again the irritation continued.

Lastly I cut shaving out completely and resorted to only using a trimmer to keep it tight and short, and you guessed it, the irritation continued.

After all this and no successful results I changed my face soap. I had been experimenting with Dr. Bronner's and was really hung up on the Lavender Soap. I had eliminated this soap and returned to the tried and true Clean and Clear that I had been using for years and low and behold the irritation began to subside almost immediatly and clear up with in a couple of weeks. So I added the Lavender Soap back into the routine and almost instantly I began to feel an itch. So the next face wash I tried the peppermint that I had so much success with previously because I had already used an entire bottle and within a few days the irritation from the Lavender began to clear up.

It has taken at least a couple of months of washing with nothing but Peppermint Soap and Baby Mild Soap and I'm finally returning back to my normal skin. I started back shaving with my Fatboy just a week ago and I did get some irritation out of the Crystal that I had in there, so I replaced that with a brand new Personna and today I had one of the best shaves I've had in a long time.

So now I'm asking the community, have any of you ever experienced a sensitivity to an oil like this? And why did it take me half of the bottle to get to that point? Or am I over thinking the whole thing? I was so excited to start getting better shaves that when B&M came out with their new Fougere soaps I almost pulled the trigger until I read the ingredients list and discovered Lavender oil in there. So I ask the community again, how worried should I be about this oil in my products as I go forward? Is there a difference between Lavender and Lavendin (I have mikes Lavendin and Eucalyptus and I have noticed a mild itch when using it in the past)?

Perhaps some of you have some experience with this. Perhaps some of our soap artisans have some input on the oils and what I might be dealing with. For now I am choosing to stay away from everything with Lavender in it, but I don't know if that's really the problem.

Oh and by the way the best shave that I had today:

Barrister & Mann's Ferox
Fatboy set to 4 with a Red person 4 deep
Simpsons Case
Witch Hazel
and Bulldog After Shave Balm

Still haven't added oils or aftershaves back yet....

Thanks for reading, SSL, any feedback is much appreciated.

18 1,186
 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM
User Info
It highly depends on the quality of the essential oil. I would believe that a fine artisan such as Will uses much higher quality EOs than Dr. Bronner's. I can tell you from first hand experience that poor quality EOs and FOs will burn me while the higher quality ones don't. What this means really is that you can't base it solely off of the ingredient list and it really does take an actual skin test to know for sure one way or another.

31 8,057
 06-12-2014, 01:18 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(06-12-2014, 11:53 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: It highly depends on the quality of the essential oil. I would believe that a fine artisan such as Will uses much higher quality EOs than Dr. Bronner's. I can tell you from first hand experience that poor quality EOs and FOs will burn me while the higher quality ones don't. What this means really is that you can't base it solely off of the ingredient list and it really does take an actual skin test to know for sure one way or another.

Thanks for the response Brian.

I hadn't considered the quality of the oils themselves, and all I know of Dr. Bronner's oils is that they are certified fair trade; which says nothing of the quality of the materials. This is certainly something to consider as I go forward.

18 1,186
 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Clinton, I have generally regarded Dr Bronner's as a brand of quality, but I certainly know nothing about the EOs that they use. Brian could be right.

The one bottle of Dr Bronner's lavender liquid soap that I got was so strongly scented that I couldn't use it. It smelled like turpentine to my admittedly abnormal/hypersensitive olfactory and I gave it to a friend, who liked it. I have had no such problems with Dr Bronner's peppermint and citrus orange soaps.

I think that idiosyncratic sensitivities to chemicals and essences are such an individual matter and are so varied that most anything is possible.

- Murray

4 1,150
 06-12-2014, 06:12 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(06-12-2014, 04:10 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Clinton, I have generally regarded Dr Bronner's as a brand of quality, but I certainly know nothing about the EOs that they use. Brian could be right.

The one bottle of Dr Bronner's lavender liquid soap that I got was so strongly scented that I couldn't use it. It smelled like turpentine to my admittedly abnormal/hypersensitive olfactory and I gave it to a friend, who liked it. I have had no such problems with Dr Bronner's peppermint and citrus orange soaps.

I think that idiosyncratic sensitivities to chemicals and essences are such an individual matter and are so varied that most anything is possible.

- Murray

Thanks for your response Murray.

I too thought that the Lavender was very strong, so perhaps you bring up yet another point to consider. The amount of Lavender Oil in the product, as well as the quality that Brian mentioned. This again is not something that I had considered and I can certainly see that if you had sensitivity to the oil a product with a large amount of it would be more irritating. I wound up giving this to one of the girls in my office who liked all natural soaps to try and she has really enjoyed it.

I too consider Dr. Bronner's to be a very high quality product. I have never had an adverse reaction to any of the other scents of his I've tried and I've tried Citrus bars, Eucalyptus Liquid Soap, Baby Mild Liquid, and Peppermint Liquid. I love the Peppermint and Baby Mild so much I buy it in the 16oz bottles. It truly is great stuff.

So to sum up I'm looking not just at the ingredient list, but I'm also considering the quality of the oil used in the product as well as the amount of oil the product might contain. In thinking this over I might try a product that has a little bit of high quality lavender oil in it, but I am a little nervous to try maybe a lavender soap. Even one that might be high quality.

18 1,186