05-14-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
A PM recently got my wondering about brush bloom. I have a few different kinds of badger brushes but one of these out-blooms TW others by far... my Simpson Commodore X2 in best. I would have thought that my Vulfix 2234 in super would have bloomed more. So can anyone explain what factors contribute to the degree of bloom a brush might have? I realize given the hand-made nature of Simpson brushes that not all X2s will bloom like this, or will they?

Thanks to all the Brush Scholars.

31 7,912
 05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
My guess would be density and/or loft. I have a well packed silver tip that hasn't budged, but my finest opened up so far that I no longer use it.

9 451
 05-14-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
(05-14-2012, 08:05 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: My guess would be density and/or loft. I have a well packed silver tip that hasn't budged, but my finest opened up so far that I no longer use it.

That was my thought too Johnny. I'll have to post some pics later but let me describe what confused me.

My Vulfix 2234 & Simpson X2 have similar measurements at 22/47. The Simspon feels denser than the Vulfix & Vulfix is known to be less dense than Simpson typically. However, the Vulfix bloomed minay while the X2 bloomed drastically.

31 7,912
 05-14-2012, 08:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
For me are :

1.Loft.The longer,more bloom

2.Type of hair used.Some kind of hairs doesn't bloom as much as others.For example,I noticed that pure and two band badger hair doesn't bloom as much as super badger/silvertip.

3.Density of hair.But sometimes dense hair brushes,like for example,the Semogue LE 2010 with super silvertip hair (52mm loft) or the Simpon best badger I owned (50 mm loft) even when are super well packed of badger hair,have a good bloom.

86 7,123
 05-14-2012, 08:25 PM
User Info
(05-14-2012, 08:19 PM)Teiste Wrote: For me are :

1.Loft.The longer,more bloom

2.Type of hair used.Some kind of hairs doesn't bloom as much as others.For example,I noticed that pure and two band badger hair doesn't bloom as much as super badger/silvertip.

3.Density of hair.But sometimes dense hair brushes,like for example,the Semogue LE 2010 with super silvertip hair (52mm loft) or the Simpon best badger I owned (50 mm loft) even when are super well packed of badger hair,have a good bloom.

Thank you for the reply Teiste.

1. Loft - completely agree & it makes perfect sense.

2. Hair type - yes my 2-bands certainly bloom less. But I'm surprised that my Simpson Best has bloomed so much more than my Vulfix Super.

3. Density - yes, I thought that less dense would have a higher propensity for bloom. Yet when comparing the X2 & 2234 I see the opposite of what I'd expect.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

31 7,912
 05-14-2012, 09:29 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I think you guys have it covered.

Longer lofts, less densely stuffed knots (longer lofted ones that is, the shorter lofted dense knots still retain a lot of shape), and grade of hair (for example, 3 band bloom more than 2 band).

Use might be another variable. More use equates to more bloom and perhaps the level of vigour associated with use is also directly proportional to bloom?

My Kent brushes seem to be big bloomers!

91 17,790
 05-14-2012, 09:29 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I would expect a dense knot to bloom more. Hair packed in tightly is pushing against each other in the knot, then comes out of the handle and has nothing to keep it corralled. Seems sensible the hair would move in the only direction it has to go: out.

10 1,858
 05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The density aids shape retention in that the densely packed hairs support each other.

Think of reeds blowing in the wind. The more solitary ones bend more easily with the breeze. Whereas dense growth offers more resistance and is the basis of mutual support or combined strength...

91 17,790