06-13-2014, 02:38 PM
User Info
Lynnes (from http://www.primogrillforum.com) Hamburger Buns

Yield: 12 buns

Lynne gives credit to :

“Two Hour Buns Fermipan Quick Rise Yeast Rolls”

(ShadowsDad) These buns are fantastic and fast! Trust me, they are worth making if you want a really good bun. They are the only buns we use anymore. Nothing else is even close.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups water (lukewarm) (350 g)
4 TBL sugar (48g)
3 TBL oil (37g)
½ tsp salt (3 g)
1 TBL Quick Rise instant yeast (9.2g)
1 egg
3 1/2-4 cups bread flour (divided) or enough to make the dough workable (4 cups= 520g) (or 3 cups hard white wheat ground 3x)

Misc. Flour for the working surface and hands

Optional: added to the dough: 1/2 tsp lecithin and 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid, both are dough conditioners.

Directions:

Do in the order listed. Kitchen Aid mixers: Don’t use the kneading attachment, use the mixing attachment. (For Ankarsrum use the standard roller and scraper)

Mix yeast, sugar, salt, 2 c flour, and ½ the water with the mixer in the mixing bowl. Turn off.

In a separate bowl mix the egg and oil. Add to mixer bowl.

Rinse egg/oil bowl with the remaining water and add to mixing bowl. Mix until incorporated. As it’s mixing you adjust the flour to form a loose dough. It will be sloppy, but you’ll need to hand form the buns, so make a suitable dough. Knead long enough to fully develop the gluten.( Ankarsrum: knead for 8 minutes @ ~3/4 speed) The dough will be seen to be rubbery or ball like. KA mixer folks, I can't help you there.

Turn the mixer off. Allow to rise for 15 minutes.

Turn the mixer on, to punch the dough down. Turn off and allow to rise another 15 minutes.

Flour your countertop and turn the dough out onto it. (If you have a silicone work mat don't flour the mat.)

Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces, divide each piece into 2, then each of those into 2 again. You’ll have 12 equal pieces (82g).

Flour your hands and form the buns by gathering the dough at the bottom and forming a round smooth top. Pinch the dough at the bottom together. Adjust size by flattening and spreading them after forming them into a round. Sort of like a tiny pizza, but not to that degree. Just use the hands. ( I find buttering my hands works better than flouring them when using the silicone work mat.)

** Optional: Use an egg wash (1 egg, 1 TBL water) to brush the tops and sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, diced onion, etc.

Place into a greased pan (don't use a silicone baking mat), pinched bottoms down. Allow to rise 1 hour. Bake in a 350°F oven for 15-18 minutes. Cool and use.

[Image: DSC04001_zpsd6941b7a.jpg]

In the picture the bun in the upper left is normal hamburger bun size, it used a smaller than normal amount of the dough. All of these buns were flattened to spread them out after forming the dough ball. Be sure to let the buns rise to almost fill the pan. The buns pictured were the first I ever made and obviously were made with a floured work surface and hands.

32 6,472
 06-13-2014, 05:01 PM
User Info
Boy, Brian! You sure have been posting some lovely bread recipes! Biggrin

83 21,115
 06-13-2014, 10:06 PM
User Info
I do quite a bit of baking (all cooking really) and really enjoy fresh bread. We buy very little store bought bread anymore.

32 6,472
 01-23-2015, 09:46 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-13-2014, 02:38 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Lynnes (from http://www.primogrillforum.com) Hamburger Buns

Yield: 12 buns

Lynne gives credit to :

“Two Hour Buns Fermipan Quick Rise Yeast Rolls”

(ShadowsDad) These buns are fantastic and fast! Trust me, they are worth making if you want a really good bun. They are the only buns we use anymore. Nothing else is even close...

Hi Brian

Bookmarked! for future palate enjoyment...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872