06-13-2014, 08:36 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

Not sure if you guys are aware of Beer Soap Brewing Company (BSBC); Kevin is a member of this forum and makes shaving soap out of different beers.

I've ordered samples of just about every soap he makes, but just got around to using them. I used a scent called London Skies, which is made from Newcastle Brown Ale. I love Newcastle Ales and the scent is absolutely amazing! There is a clean soapy element to it, but it's so complex that I couldn't put it down. I wish I could describe the scent, but i'm terrible at this so suffice it to say this was the first time I've used any one soap from start to finish, a 1/2 ounce sample gave me about 9 shaves and a few test lathers.

The soap itself is amazing, it's thick, creamy and dense. It's consistency is between Mike's/Barrister and Mann and The Strop Shoppe so it's in good company. It provides great cushion and is very slick. I recently acquired a few razors and new blades; whichever combination I used, I couldn't get a bad shave using this soap and not a weeper was to be had, which is a miracle for me. I had my first non London Skies shave today using Pen's EF and I got a few weepers so kudos to Kevin at BSBC for making an incredible soap.

I personally think that these soaps are THE sleeper soaps in the shaving world. I love them so much that i'm going through my den and trying to figure out which soaps i'm going to sell off to make room for full pucks of Kevin's soaps.

I hope you guys give it a try to see for yourselves! The website is http://beersoapbrewingcompany.com/shaving-soap/

Have a great weekend!

23 656
 06-13-2014, 08:43 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
If this is the Newcastle scent he asked for testers on, then this scent is amazing. My fiancee said it is the best shaving soap scent she has ever smelled. It is a very earthy and dark scent with a tiny hint of sweetness. I couldn't think of a better way to describe it. The performance was fantastic, easy to lather and slick.

I will buy some of this when the tester sample runs out.

10 757
 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM
User Info
(06-13-2014, 08:43 PM)grantmm Wrote: If this is the Newcastle scent he asked for testers on, then this scent is amazing. My fiancee said it is the best shaving soap scent she has ever smelled. It is a very earthy and dark scent with a tiny hint of sweetness. I couldn't think of a better way to describe it. The performance was fantastic, easy to lather and slick.

I will buy some of this when the tester sample runs out.

It was indeed, but I also ordered a few samples of some of his other soaps at the same time. I got two samples of London Skies; one was a tallow and the other was the non-tallow one. I couldn't tell the difference between the two and I didn't realize that he was testing a non-tallow soap, I forgot that he wanted testers until I asked lol.

I couldn't tell which one was which, which is awesome that the non-tallow works as well as the tallow version!

23 656
 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM
User Info
(06-13-2014, 08:36 PM)Starkicker Wrote: It's consistency is between Mike's/Barrister and Mann and The Strop Shoppe so it's in good company.

This is a bold statement and has me curious. The videos on the site look good too. Quick question, I did not see a way to order samples. Am I missing it, or should I contact him direct? How did you get yours?

Thanks!

6 36
 06-19-2014, 07:58 PM
User Info
(06-19-2014, 02:22 PM)Gaidin23 Wrote:
(06-13-2014, 08:36 PM)Starkicker Wrote: It's consistency is between Mike's/Barrister and Mann and The Strop Shoppe so it's in good company.

This is a bold statement and has me curious. The videos on the site look good too. Quick question, I did not see a way to order samples. Am I missing it, or should I contact him direct? How did you get yours?

Thanks!

I'd agree and go a step further. It is my #1 overall soap when factoring cushion, glide, scent, ease of lather, and price. I can't believe this isn't talked about more. I bought samples a little while ago from the site but you could also contact Kevin the owner. I also tried a sample of his new vegan formula and it blew me away. I will be buying pretty much every scent when his new soaps come out.

4 355
 06-20-2014, 04:53 AM
User Info
I tried his reformulated version of the Bay Rum soap and I agree that it is very nice, both in terms of scent and performance.

10 2,062
 06-20-2014, 05:28 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Does his soaps use essential oils? B/c anything with fragrance oils just burns my skin.

10 963
 06-20-2014, 06:20 AM
User Info
I think some use EO and some FO. It depends on the scent. You could email them directly to confirm.

10 2,062
 06-20-2014, 07:12 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I wrote a review of the Lime & Black Pepper a while back. I have to agree with starkicker. This soap has amazing properties. Excellent lather, glide and cushion. Barrister & Mann is still my favorite though.

18 1,186
 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM
User Info
I just use the tallow version of Forest Mint and, no kidding, I had what I'd call my best shave I've had in over a year. Does the soap get 100% of the credit? Probably not, but nevertheless it was the soap used for this shave and it was great. I loved the lather, protection and slickness and the scent is absolutely incredible. I see the Forest Mint is not available anymore in tallow on their site, but I hope it comes back!

16 249
 08-14-2014, 09:30 AM
User Info
I'm a big fan, too.

I was a beta-tester for the non-tallow soaps, and when they became available, I bought two tubs. I like the tallow soaps a great deal, too. The tallow soaps are thirstier, but the end result is about the same between the two types of soap.

I've never tried the London Skies scent. I'm a HUGE fan of the BVV scent (only available in the non-tallow, I think). It stands for Bergamot, Violet, and Vetiver, and it is one of my favorite scents in shaving. I also bought Earl Grey and Honey, which in the tub is so-so, but when lathered on the face blooms into a really nice, slightly sweet scent that I very much enjoy.

I agree that Kevin's soaps are vastly underrated in the wet-shaving community. More of you need to get some and give it a go!

2 1,448
 08-14-2014, 05:53 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I was VERY impressed with London Skies, both for scent and performance. It was surprisingly slick and protective with an excellent post shave feel. I received it a few weeks ago and I will admit I was apprehensive to even order as the concept of using beer just sounded like a fad to my critical personality. However I try to support as many of our artisans as I can and give them at least one shot, so I figured why not. Well, I'll eat my words (err...thoughts)Blush as my very first shave with London Skies was phenomenal. As many artisan soaps as I've tried, this is certainly one of the few that stand out for me. Given my expectations, I was totally surprised with how well it performed and just how slick it was, and I completely agree in that it is very underrated. Well done Kevin, and I must apologize for my initial doubts. I'm so glad that I did end up ordering it, and there is no doubt that I'll always have some BSBC on hand in my den Biggrin

34 1,628
 08-14-2014, 06:23 PM
  • JrReyes
  • Cartridge Converter
  • Ft. Worth, TX
User Info
Wasn't there a discount code recently? I feel bad that I missed out on this soap. I think I will try and place an order. Thanks for all of the positive feedback gentlemen.

19 278
 08-15-2014, 01:11 AM
User Info
Shipping is limited to US only. Bah!

0 84
 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM
User Info
Thanks for the positive comments gentlemen!

@Giorgio-No need to apologize :> I am glad you are enjoying the London Skies and getting great shaves with it-Thanks so much for your support!

@beardybrewer-We do international shipping, but we do not have international shipping set up on the site. I received your email from the site, so you should have a reply in your inbox. Thanks for your interest!

Kevin

1 184
 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
The scent on the BVV is heavenly. I don't like floral but I really like the scent on this one. Just a very nice fresh scent. Kevin is great too!

58 1,312
 08-17-2014, 08:35 AM
User Info
(08-15-2014, 07:56 PM)Lutebro Wrote: The scent on the BVV is heavenly. ...

+1.

Like I said earlier in this thread. I'm gonna fire it up for tomorrow morning's shave. Biggrin

2 1,448