06-15-2014, 12:28 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
So I thought it would be a good Idea to use my grandfathers straight for todays shave. It was a nice shave up until I posted my SOTD and was putting stuff away. I dropped the razor and watched it fall almost in slow motion. Sad I kinda wish I would have stuck my foot out to try to stop it from hitting the floor.
Anyway I was replacing the scales but thought that it wouldn't be a big deal to use it with out.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a razor restorer that could put this back together? Is it even possible? Am I S.O.L.??
The chip.
[Image: 9rnpF05.jpg]
up close
[Image: mjVpg8A.jpg]
before the drop
[Image: W91nSt7.jpg]
Any thoughts, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

28 1,622
 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM
User Info
Ouch. Angry

Hopefully Mark or Morgan have a suggestion here.

129 6,685
 06-15-2014, 02:54 PM
User Info
W/O reforging the steel I can't think of a way to get that chipped off piece back on, but turning the blade into a miniature may be an answer. I am certain Mark could do something with it, otherwise I sent you a PM with contact info for someone else who I know does the work.

129 6,685
 06-15-2014, 08:15 PM
User Info
Wow, James! That is very unfortunate! I think Doug has given you some good advice, here. Best of luck.

82 21,062
 06-16-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
No, sorry to say there is no way to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
The only option at this point is to turn it into a shorty.

0 777
 06-16-2014, 06:53 AM
User Info
You have three options, turn it into a shorty not a bad option now you have a choice of three points stay with the original round point look or give it a square point or go for a French point quite straight forward if you have a bench grinder, but I've used a clamped angle grinder in the past to make a square point be careful though as angle grinders are notoriously dangerous.
Here's a razor I was restoring and I dropped it while buffing it snapped a small piece from the heel so I rounded it off and turned it into a Kamisori worked and shaved really well.

[Image: untitled10_zps030c132b.png~original]

11 1,929
 06-16-2014, 07:07 AM
User Info
The options still remain either fixed handle or traditional folding scales. Regardless how many tip styles you can come up with it will always be a shorty. That's a given .

0 777
 06-16-2014, 05:30 PM
User Info
Send it to mycarver he'll do a good job. Great guy!

Sent from my iPhone

2 55
 06-16-2014, 05:31 PM
  • jamesrobson5
User Info
Very Cool Jamie.

Thanks for the advice guys. I kinda knew that a shorty was the only way, but hey can't blame a guy for some wishful thinking. I think I am gonna sit on this a few days and consider how I want to proceed. I will provide pics once it has been done.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

28 1,622
 06-18-2014, 05:43 PM
User Info
oddly enough it looks like you weren't the first person to drop and chip it. it looks to be shortened already by a little bit if im not mistaken, that etch looks awfully off center doesn't it?
ive bought many chipped razors just for the sake of saving them and I tend to gravitate towards a French point when I do so. did you have thoughts as to what you want for new scales?

0 13
 06-18-2014, 10:32 PM
User Info
It would be interesting to know the length of the blade as is. Etching is off center bit who knows if it is a shorty or just an off center etch. Looking at it now it does look more like a 2.5 inch blade as opposed to a 3.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

129 6,685
 06-19-2014, 03:55 PM
  • jamesrobson5
User Info
I think that you guys may be right. It is (or was) a shorter blade than the others. I will measure it when I get home. I never noticed the etching being off center but it would make sense that it was already a shorty. My Grandfather was a barber so I could see him dropping it at least once.
Good observations guys.

28 1,622