06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Both colors are available. They usually sell out pretty quickly and it takes a while before he does another production run.

http://www.standardrazors.com

These are a nice design and I get a very good shave from mine. Pretty aggressive, light (made from aluminum), and the grip is decent, even though the handle looks smooth.

60 849
 06-16-2014, 04:34 PM
User Info
I received an email from them today indicating free shipping for a limited time. Good to see razors being made in the US.

122 13,222
 06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-16-2014, 04:02 PM)greyhawk Wrote: Both colors are available. They usually sell out pretty quickly and it takes a while before he does another production run.

http://www.standardrazors.com

These are a nice design and I get a very good shave from mine. Pretty aggressive, light (made from aluminum), and the grip is decent, even though the handle looks smooth.

+1
The Standard Razors razor (seems redundant) is the first DE razor that I have used in 55+ years of shaving. (I am in the midst of an extensive and intensive trial to compare it with the Schick Hydro cartridge razors that I have been using for the past couple of years.)

I love the utter simplicity of the design and clean lines. Obviously, I cannot have any basis to compare its aggressiveness or smoothness or mildness with any other DE razor, but I can say that, with a few weeks of learning curve, nicks and weepers are pretty much (but not entirely) a thing of the past, and my attention has shifted now to attempting to get as close a shave as I regularly get (in less time) with a Schick Hydro. I am keeping an open mind. FWIW, I am conducting this experiment with Gillette Silver Blue blades,

1 1,110
 06-17-2014, 07:30 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Has anyone had recent experience with shipping from Standard. There was a thread in April expressing some long shipping delays.

61 4,645
 06-17-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
The owner since apologized and blamed the shipping problem on a 3rd party service. I would buy with confidence and speaking from experience with Standard Razors.

122 13,222
 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(06-17-2014, 08:13 AM)slantman Wrote: The owner since apologized and blamed the shipping problem on a 3rd party service. I would buy with confidence and speaking from experience with Standard Razors.

Thanks, I think I'll try one just for fun.

61 4,645
 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM
  • smf
User Info
Of course I just bought one a couple weeks ago!

No worries on the shipping, arrived promptly. Buy with confidence as said above.

0 21
 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
If any one here on TSN, has tried the Standard Razor kindly post up your review and compare it to other DE razors. I have been intrigued with this razor for the past several weeks but have not pulled the trigger because of this razor's very light weight and no reviews of it, yet.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your thoughts of the "Standard Razor".

WARHAWK

12 333
 06-17-2014, 08:55 PM
User Info
(06-17-2014, 07:04 PM)warhawk Wrote: If any one here on TSN, has tried the Standard Razor kindly post up your review and compare it to other DE razors. I have been intrigued with this razor for the past several weeks but have not pulled the trigger because of this razor's very light weight and no reviews of it, yet.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your thoughts of the "Standard Razor".

WARHAWK

* Mel, you might want to peruse this thread:
http://shavenook.com/thread-standard-raz...ist-design

83 21,115
 06-18-2014, 04:25 AM
User Info
For what it's worth. I have two of them. The first was purchased via a fellow forum member. Silence, if I recall correctly. The second was purchased when this latest batch went to market. I have both the raw and black. The black was actually purchased for my wife as her go to razor. I like the razor quite a bit. Just use it again good tonight's shave. I don't find it to be aggressive, maybe on the aggressive side of medium. It has a larger blade gap, but not very much blade exposure. Grip is not a problem when wet and the razor really sings during the shave. I have found that sometimes I prefer a heavier razor when going against the grain. I like GSB, feather, and med preps with this one. I think that they are very good shavers that simply don't get spoken of because they aren't as well known as those razors that garner most of the forum guys attention. I.e. the toggles, r41, stealth slant, aristocrat, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 71
 06-18-2014, 02:42 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-17-2014, 08:55 PM)celestino Wrote: * Mel, you might want to peruse this thread:
http://shavenook.com/thread-standard-raz...ist-design

Yes, I read that thread before I purchased a Standard Razors razor (the folk there seem to think that the -s at the end of Razors is significant, but it sure screws up the rhythm of a sentence, because then you have to add "razor" to indicate it is singular, so I'll call it SRr from now on) a few months ago. I think it was Silence!'s post in that thread that pushed my "buy" button.

I had been using only cartridge razors since the Wilkinson Bonded Blades of ~1970, and the Gillette Techmatic Adjustable -- which arguably is a cartridge razor -- for a couple of years before that, and chose the SRr as my first ever DE. For the past couple of months, I have been alternating using the SRr and my current Schick Hydro, which is the best cartridge razor that I have used to date (and I have tried them all). I get a full use of a GSB blade (usually four or five shaves) in the SRr, then switch back to the Schick for two or three days, or more if something on my schedule demands that I must make an appearance in public with zero nicks on my face Wink -- then start another SRr round with a fresh GSB.

Except for the fact that I fear that I shall never again have a fully unwounded left nostril (because of the angle of attack when making a N-S pass on the left side of my upper lip while holding the SRr in my right hand, I take off a slice of the nostril two out of three shaves), I think I have the nick/bleeder issue solved. But truth be told, I still get a closer shave with the Schick Hydro time after time.

The SRr will get its chance to catch up: I have 46 razor blades (39 of then unused), and that translates to somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 shaves between now and Thanksgiving or so. If I can't master this thing by then, I never will. I promise not to hide my light under a barrel when the extended trial is complete.

1 1,110