06-16-2014, 11:05 PM
User Info
I am always on the look out for a good Rose scented shaving soap or cream.
I bought a tube of TOBS Rose for my wife actually. About a year ago I made this rig for my wife which was a great success. No more cartridges thank you very much.
To be honest, I was never thrilled with GFT. I found the scent is a bit acidic and I hated how it colored the brush for no good reason. I thought the performance acceptable - nothing more. So that tub is done and I bought a tube of TOBS to replace it, but I had to use it first to make sure its good Wink

Scent - superb. Not too strong and natural. Classy.
Performance - excellent. I don't bowl lather. I had an almond-sized amount in the palm of my hand, I worked up some lather there and continued face lathering and added a bit of water. Excellent on all accounts and post shave feel was great as well.
I bought the tube because I was hesitant to go full blown on a tub. I already have a tub of TOBS Lime and for some reason I never liked it much on any account.

Other Rose scented products worth of note:
Mike's Rose and Cedarwood: great soap with very strong Cedarwood scent.
Klar Kabinett - if you can get it at a reasonable price it is nice it is pretty good. The scent in mine is faint and a bit "bubble-gum". It is in my rotation.
Rose of Bulgaria - Some folks insist that it performs as well as TOBS, but the scent was plain awful to my nose.. It is $6 plus shipping. TOBS is $11 on Amazon. What can I say: I think you can splurge on that one.

6 827
 06-17-2014, 04:21 PM
User Info
TOBS Rose cream is very nice!

3 543
 06-17-2014, 04:41 PM
User Info
I never used TOBS Rose, but did enjoy the Avocado. I am not sure why I never bought more than that first tub of it though. I used Klar Kabinett as my daily driver for a couple of years and still have some. Other than that, I like Prairie Creations Walter's Rose Soap, Institut Karite soap and Cyril Salter Rose SC.

I was thinking the next one I would try when I got through some product was Queen Charlotte Rose Otto. It will be a while before I will buy any more soap.

18 586
 06-18-2014, 05:47 AM
User Info
Good to hear it works for you. It is hard to go wrong with TOBS...nice scents and wonderful lather.

22 752
 06-18-2014, 07:00 AM
User Info
One of my favorite creams, no doubt. And one of the first I finished. A very good cream, absolutely.

0 124
 07-10-2015, 05:44 PM
User Info
I was at Merz today with the intention of buying St James of London. They did not stock it at that location so I bought Green Mountain Soap. While I was there I considered buying the TOBS cream, rose. The scent was awful! It was so synthetic it made me think of a rose scented cleaning product. Even the terrible GFT rose soap smells better than this. Wickham's Rose and Catie's Bubbles rose smell better too. The CB is a tad too sweet smelling but still nice. Wickham's rose is fairly good and you can smell the greenery but the soap is lousy. The one that really stands out though is Dusy Kabinett; lots of greenery so it isn't so feminine, and the performance of the soap is about par with Pre de Provence in all areas. To people wanting to get the TOBS rose-- I really suggest you get literally anything else.

18 713
 07-10-2015, 06:20 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I liked TOBS Rose scent, but it burned my face.  Now my father has it with no problems.

18 414
 07-11-2015, 06:52 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(07-10-2015, 05:44 PM)fram773 Wrote: While I was there I considered buying the TOBS cream, rose. The scent was awful! It was so synthetic it made me think of a rose scented cleaning product.

Agree. This is my sentiment for all TOBS scents. Cheap. Synthetic. Anything but sophisticated, complex or classy.
I love roses... So I gave away my TOBS immediately.

59 2,822
 07-11-2015, 07:17 AM
User Info
(07-11-2015, 06:52 AM)Nero Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 05:44 PM)fram773 Wrote: While I was there I considered buying the TOBS cream, rose. The scent was awful! It was so synthetic it made me think of a rose scented cleaning product.

Agree. This is my sentiment for all TOBS scents. Cheap. Synthetic. Anything but sophisticated, complex or classy.
I love roses... So I gave away my TOBS immediately.

I haven't tried it yet but I hear great things about Soap Commander Rose.

13 947
 07-13-2015, 03:43 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I have this cream and I have to say that I am satisfied. The scent to me is more close to geranium than rose, but I like it. The performance is very good, typical ToOBS, a small amount is needed for a 2-3 passes shave.

49 1,999