06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
User Info
On Father's day, my older daughter wanted me to drop her off at a friend's place. It was many miles away, and I didn't really want to drive all that way. Eventually, she convinced me to take her there.

So, we drove there - she drove on the way there (she's learning, and needs a licensed adult with her). She's pretty good, so it's not too scary. One of the nice things about not being the driver is that you can look around and take in the views. In this part of the country, that's a nice thing: lovely mountains, streams, and small waterfalls are everywhere.

So I was navigating, and looking around when we entered a little township with houses spread out nicely (most plots there are 15-25 acres). Outside one I noticed a little pile of stuff for free. It looked like an espresso machine was set out, so I decided to look into it on the way back.

Once my daughter was dropped off, I drove back and stopped off at that house. I was right, it was an espresso machine set out for free. Needless to say, I took it. It was in perfect shape and came with all the accessories.

I got it home and cleaned it out (it was already clean, but I wasn't going to take that on faith). I also looked it up on the internet. It worked perfectly, and I've spent some time playing with it - making espressos, lattes, and cappuccinos.

It is a Capresso 113:

[Image: tn2_cap-113103108080455.jpg]

The espresso it makes is pretty good (not quite as good as the best coffee shops, but better than most). My wife was really happy that I was able to make her a nice latte, and I was happy with the cappuccino.

As my wife pointed out, it is great for the price we paid! Biggrin

Maybe it was a reward for being a good dad and taking my daughter out even when I really didn't want to. Smile

37 1,743
 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Wow! That is a nice little surprise and a great find. Maybe it is time for me to go driving...Biggrin

46 18,339
 06-17-2014, 12:47 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Wow, Yohann, that's terrific! Enjoy your good fortune. Smile

2 11,211
 06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
User Info
Sounds like karma to me....

207 12,261
 06-17-2014, 05:53 PM
User Info
Yeah, it was good fortune.

Some people wouldn't consider picking stuff up off the side of the road, but I'm a great proponent of 'reduce, reuse, recycle'. Also, I would probably never have spent the money on an espresso machine myself, so this was a nice way to try one at home.

So far, I'm liking it. We'll see if it continues to see use once the novelty has worn off.

37 1,743
 06-17-2014, 09:06 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Yohann! Great find, my friend!
What a good dad you are! Biggrin

83 21,077
 07-07-2014, 10:38 AM
User Info
wow, nice machine you snagged! You don't find one on the side of the road everyday

0 62