06-18-2014, 02:32 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
So customs released my parcel from Phil today and I was none too excited as there were 2 Vie Long natural whites in the box. (Along with several other things.)

[Image: NytL96I.jpg?1]

First brush is the 13071B Olivewood natural white horsehair that Bullgoose spec'd with a 25/52 knot. Compared to the olivewood handle on the 2013 Semogue SE, this one wears some gloss but doesn't look tacky. There's a good bit of grain and it is a handsome looking thing.

[Image: ZGWeV1H.jpg?1]

The Zurito Blanco on the other hand has a lovely 2-color resin handle. Knot is stated to be 23/55. In pictures, the portion of the handle closest to the knot is bright red. In the flesh, it is a dark ruby tone until light hits it and the color comes alive. Neat trick and also a great looking brush.

[Image: GIBozEQ.jpg?1]

I soaked the brushes in warm water and cleaned them with horse shampoo before doing test lathers on my palm. Maybe I'm lucky but I did not pick up much of an animal scent, certainly not wet dog. My SOC Boar and 620 exuded stronger odors when I first soaked them, not that I minded the boar scent much.

I used Acca Kappa almond croap. Both brushes didn't look or feel like they loaded much over a 15 second interval. However, they built a lot of lather easily and released the lather very well. The olivewood retained heat a bit better than the Zurito but the differences in knot density might explain that.

In terms of feel, the tips of horse felt very fine and soft. Much more than the select silvertip on my Semogue (only badger brush I currently have.) I would estimate the hairs to be almost as fine and as soft as Mühle silvertip fibre. With a light touch, I don't foresee these giving me brush burn.

I could detect a bit of scritch if I bore down slightly on the brush, but the scritch seemed to come from one or two hair shafts and not the entire knot. These are probably the tail hairs that people mention.

The olivewood has more backbone than the Zurito but the Zurito is no slouch at producing lather even when using painting strokes. Almost as easy as a synthetic but with better water/heat retention.

I'll continue to do test lathers every other day and probably shave with them next week. My priority is to test the Progress that came with the brushes and I don't want to muddle results by using a new brush together with a new razor. Smile

Big thanks to Phil and to the other Nookers who nudged me towards horse.

(Edited to add pictures. All brushes were still wet when the pics were taken. The Semogue is something I got late March.)

2 286
 06-18-2014, 04:28 AM
User Info
(06-18-2014, 02:32 AM)Karlo Wrote: So customs released my parcel from Phil today and I was none too excited as there were 2 Vie Long natural whites in the box. (Along with several other things.)

First brush is the Olivewood natural white horsehair that Bullgoose spec'd with a 25/52 knot. Compared to the olivewood handle on the 2013 Semogue SE, this one wears some gloss but doesn't look tacky. There's a good bit of grain and it is a handsome looking thing.

The Zurito Blanco on the other hand has a lovely 2-color resin handle. Knot is stated to be 23/55. In pictures, the portion of the handle closest to the knot is bright red. In the flesh, it is a dark ruby tone until light hits it and the color comes alive. Neat trick and also a great looking brush.

I soaked the brushes in warm water and cleaned them with horse shampoo before doing test lathers on my palm. Maybe I'm lucky but I did not pick up much of an animal scent, certainly not wet dog. My SOC Boar and 620 exuded stronger odors when I first soaked them, not that I minded the boar scent much.

I used Acca Kappa almond croap. Both brushes didn't look or feel like they loaded much over a 15 second interval. However, they built a lot of lather easily and released the lather very well. The olivewood retained heat a bit better than the Zurito but the differences in knot density might explain that.

In terms of feel, the tips of horse felt very fine and soft. Much more than the select silvertip on my Semogue (only badger brush I currently have.) I would estimate the hairs to be almost as fine and as soft as Mühle silvertip fibre. With a light touch, I don't foresee these giving me brush burn.

I could detect a bit of scritch if I bore down slightly on the brush, but the scritch seemed to come from one or two hair shafts and not the entire knot. These are probably the tail hairs that people mention.

The olivewood has more backbone than the Zurito but the Zurito is no slouch at producing lather even when using painting strokes. Almost as easy as a synthetic but with better water/heat retention.

I'll continue to do test lathers every other day and probably shave with them next week. My priority is to test the Progress that came with the brushes and I don't want to muddle results by using a new brush together with a new razor. Smile

Pics to follow in a few days. I'll need my desktop to upload them to this post.

Big thanks to Phil and to the other Nookers who nudged me towards horse.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Congrats Karlo, I hope you enjoy themSmile

19 881
 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM
User Info
Congratulations on the brushes and enjoy! Smile

83 21,081
 06-18-2014, 09:25 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Excellent write up Karlo, and congrats on finally receiving them Biggrin!

Please keep us updated on how you find them once you shave with them. As you mentioned, as long as you don't mash them in your face you should be fine.

34 1,628
 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Pics, please.

60 1,601
 06-18-2014, 12:36 PM
User Info
Karlo, what an excellent review! Thank you for sharing!

Can I ask - you mentioned the gloss of the wooden handle, does that mean you would rather have it look more flat? And if you (inclusive) are reading this, do you prefer non-gloss?

If you want to "bring down" or lessen the gloss by getting some "0000" steel wool from either a good hardware store or woodworking store and lightly polish it. Be very careful NOT to press down too hard or unevenly. Keep in mind that the edges need almost no pressure. The edges are more likely to come in contact with the wool so you don't need the pressure as they will be polished in several directions. If you are uncomfortable with that method you could try using fine pumice or rotten stone and paraffin oil as a lubricant but it will be more expensive and depending, you may not use them again.

If you would like more detailed instructions, please feel free to pm me Smile Kristin

0 135
 06-19-2014, 12:07 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Hi Kristin. Thanks for the tip! The finish looks fine actually. I was just a little surprised (pleasantly so) since the webstore picture didn't capture the slick topcoat. Smile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-21-2014, 08:34 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Nice looking brushes. I'm surprised that horse hair brushes don't generate more buzz - I like them.

13 648
 06-26-2014, 01:16 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
After a week of using both, the brushes have softened up a bit and have shown improvements in performance.

Knots do not seem to bloom like badger or splay like Semogue boar. Tips remain soft but some of the thicker hairs have mellowed down a bit. A light touch is still required but not as light as before.

Lathering has become even easier. Using almost just the tips to load, these brushes eat soap quickly. Flow through and release remain impressive. For both bowl and face lathering, either one would be a good choice.

Drying time is very fast. What I use in the morning is dry by dinner time. Might just make for good travel brushes.

Phil says horsehair needs about ten lathers before they hit their stride. So far, my observations mirror his. I'm told these knots can approach finest badger softness after 100 lathers. This seems very possible. I'll be sure to post my findings after a few months.

2 286
 07-02-2014, 12:30 AM
User Info
Very nice looking brushes
Enjoy them,happy lathering !

Wink

0 353
 07-02-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
love the handle of the zurito.

1 495
 07-02-2014, 06:51 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Nice brushes, congrats!

4 447
 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Excellent news Karlo, I hope you continue to enjoy them

Like most brushes in my den, more uses = better brush. I find this to be particularly true for horse hair brushes, and unfortunately many people get turned off from that initial scritch that the brushes never end up reaching their true potential.

Please keep us updated with your progress

34 1,628
 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Giorgio,

The brushes did start to develop the legendary Vie Long donut hole. I washed them with shampoo and conditioner and then gently combed out the hairs that had gotten entangled within the core of the knot.

The Zurito has shed a few hairs since then but performance remains unaffected. The hairs seem to get softer by the week. Not dramatically so, but you can definitely feel the progress.

It's good that I discovered these after boar. Had I found these first, I may have missed out on the boar education that all of us can only benefit from.

2 286