05-15-2012, 08:40 AM
User Info
Hi All,

A few updates:

1. As many have noticed, my stocks have been very low for a couple of weeks. In addition to making soap, I'm also a full-time PhD student and a part-time adjunct lecturer. With the end of the semester upon me, I am very pressed for time. Things will settle down after May 21 and my soap stock will become more consistent.

2. In spite of my erratic stock Smile, I now have a new scent of shaving soap available for purchase on my site: Lemongrass & Eucalyptus.

3. As many of you know, I'm working on an all-veggie shaving soap formula. I've received some very helpful input from my testers and hope to be offering the new soap for sale shortly.

4. I plan on introducing shave sticks at some point in June.

Thanks!

6 315
 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
I love Mike's soapsBiggrin

9 1,199
 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM
User Info
Wow, Mike. You certainly are busy. But now I completely understand why your soap formulations are so fantastic... you're a PhD student. Awesome, keep up the hard work that I know it requires. Thanks for the update and I'll be looking forward to hearing what people think of the new scent.

31 7,912
 05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
User Info
I'm looking forward to trying Mikes soaps. I am going to order next month. I've over spent my fund this month unfortunatly Sad

The new scent sounds lovely Mike!

7 1,179
 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM
User Info
Mike,

Regarding the shave sticks you're working on, do you know how wide the stick container will be?

9 1,199
 05-16-2012, 12:07 AM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 08:40 AM)OckhamsRazor Wrote: Hi All,

A few updates:

1. As many have noticed, my stocks have been very low for a couple of weeks. In addition to making soap, I'm also a full-time PhD student and a part-time adjunct lecturer. With the end of the semester upon me, I am very pressed for time. Things will settle down after May 21 and my soap stock will become more consistent.

2. In spite of my erratic stock Smile, I now have a new scent of shaving soap available for purchase on my site: Lemongrass & Eucalyptus.

3. As many of you know, I'm working on an all-veggie shaving soap formula. I've received some very helpful input from my testers and hope to be offering the new soap for sale shortly.

4. I plan on introducing shave sticks at some point in June.

Thanks!

thanks for the update, Mike. I'm looking forward to your shaving sticks and ought to put an order in for some of your samples in the mean time.

40 5,830
 05-16-2012, 02:21 AM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 10:15 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Mike,

Regarding the shave sticks you're working on, do you know how wide the stick container will be?

Randy,

The containers I'm working with are 1.5 inches wide.

6 315
 05-16-2012, 06:42 AM
User Info
Thank you for the update. Unfortunately I was too late on the sample offer, but I'm really excited to try your veggie soap from all the praise it's received.
-Mark

6 135
 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
I'm looking forward to the full line of your veggie soaps. Thanks for the updates!

0 115
 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM
User Info
Mike,
I wish I'd known before you were a starving graduate student. When I was in grad school, had three jobs in order to pay the bills. Never occurred to me to actually start a business. Then again, this was pre-public internet.

Just made my first purchase. Should be enough to pay for one and half six packs of good beer.

5 298
 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM
User Info
Mike, I'm a huge fan of your soaps. I've ordered Barbershop about a month ago and later ordered Rose & Cedarwood and Lavendin & Eucalyptus.

I love the depth and complexity of the scents, but more importantly they do everything that a shave soap should do: cushion and protect, provide lubrication and my face feels moisturized afterwards.

I tried Mike's Natural because I really like MWF and wondered how much of what makes it special was the lanolin. When I saw that MN soap had both tallow and lanolin, I was in.

To be frank, my other primary soaps, MWF, Tabac and Palmolive are gathering dust as they get a lot less use. I look forward to your shave stick as I love sticks when travelling.

Best of luck in your academic quest. If you don't mind, what are you studying for in your Doctoral quest?

3 452
 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
User Info
(05-16-2012, 08:31 AM)redrako Wrote: Mike, I'm a huge fan of your soaps. I've ordered Barbershop about a month ago and later ordered Rose & Cedarwood and Lavendin & Eucalyptus.

I love the depth and complexity of the scents, but more importantly they do everything that a shave soap should do: cushion and protect, provide lubrication and my face feels moisturized afterwards.

I tried Mike's Natural because I really like MWF and wondered how much of what makes it special was the lanolin. When I saw that MN soap had both tallow and lanolin, I was in.

To be frank, my other primary soaps, MWF, Tabac and Palmolive are gathering dust as they get a lot less use. I look forward to your shave stick as I love sticks when travelling.

Best of luck in your academic quest. If you don't mind, what are you studying for in your Doctoral quest?

I was wondering this as well. My initial thought was a PharmD but that's not a PhD.

31 7,912
 05-16-2012, 08:38 AM
User Info
(05-16-2012, 07:59 AM)oakeshott Wrote: Mike,
I wish I'd known before you were a starving graduate student. When I was in grad school, had three jobs in order to pay the bills. Never occurred to me to actually start a business. Then again, this was pre-public internet.

Just made my first purchase. Should be enough to pay for one and half six packs of good beer.

Thank you! Biggrin

(05-16-2012, 08:31 AM)redrako Wrote: Mike, I'm a huge fan of your soaps. I've ordered Barbershop about a month ago and later ordered Rose & Cedarwood and Lavendin & Eucalyptus.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Robert. I'm glad the soap is working so well for you.

I'm studying classical philology, arguably the most esoteric and useless of all disciplines Blush

6 315
 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
What does the Barbershop scent smell like?

45 3,955
 05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-16-2012, 08:38 AM)OckhamsRazor Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 07:59 AM)oakeshott Wrote: Mike,

Thank you! Biggrin

Thanks so much for the kind words, Robert. I'm glad the soap is working so well for you.

I'm studying classical philology, arguably the most esoteric and useless of all disciplines Blush

That is not useless. If everyone felt that way then that important discipline would die and that would be beyond sad.

And, Mike, for what it's worth, I actually prefer your Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper tallow/lanolin shave soap to MWF. Besides every other praise that has been mentioned, I find it easier to lather than the Fat. Keep up the great work, both at school and at soap making. All the best to you. Smile

2 11,211
 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
(05-16-2012, 09:27 AM)tgutc Wrote: What does the Barbershop scent smell like?

Barber shop is a tough scent to describe. It consists of patchouli, oakmoss, basil, and bergamot. When lathered up, I find that the patchouli stands most. A streak of bergamot cuts through the middle which is both citrusy and sweet. Oakmoss and basil are in the background tying things together.

The overall scent is masculine and invigorating with a bit of sweetness.

Sorry if this is vague. No matter how many times I try, I still find it difficult to describe this one.

6 315
 05-16-2012, 10:38 PM
User Info
I sometimes pick up the sample I gotten of the Barbershop sample and just smells it... as Mike says, it's hard to describe. The best I can do is this; it smells like a picture of an old style barbershop looks.

It is a pleasant smell - just impossible to describe Tongue

3 3,561
 05-20-2012, 03:50 PM
User Info
I love Barbershop but would not be able to begin to describe it except to say that it's paradoxical. On the one hand it's a complex, masculine scent - a blend if you will that combines very well into one distinct aroma. I've never smelled anything like it.

I will reorder it when the time comes around.

Regarding classical philology, as an English major who graduated at age 40 with a BA with a strong concentration on history - I'm with you in spirit.

Best of luck in your quest!

If Philology is as you put it, "...arguably the most esoteric and useless of all disciplines". One of course must be able to argue to make such an assertion. Cool

As I was googling Philology, I discovered that it may be a more fun subject than I had first imagined.

3 452
 05-20-2012, 04:06 PM
User Info
(05-20-2012, 03:50 PM)redrako Wrote: I love Barbershop but would not be able to begin to describe it except to say that it's paradoxical. On the one hand it's a complex, masculine scent - a blend if you will that combines very well into one distinct aroma. I've never smelled anything like it.

I will reorder it when the time comes around.

Regarding classical philology, as an English major who graduated at age 40 with a BA with a strong concentration on history - I'm with you in spirit.

Best of luck in your quest!

If Philology is as you put it, "...arguably the most esoteric and useless of all disciplines". One of course must be able to argue to make such an assertion. Cool

As I was googling Philology, I discovered that it may be a more fun subject than I had first imagined.

Hilarious! Thanks, Robert!

6 315
 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
Hi All,

A few updates:

1. I've whipped up some bay rum shaving soap in both bar and tin form, which is now available for purchase on my site at 50% off normal price for a limited time.

2. Lily of the valley shaving soap will be available very soon.

3. I still plan on offering shave sticks, but their introduction might have to be put off until July.

4. I'm still working on my veggie shave soap formula (I'm up to the 4th prototype) and hope to have a final version within a month or so.

Thanks for reading!

6 315