06-18-2014, 10:13 AM
User Info
I've picked up a number of restored straights over the last 18 months, some I have even managed to have much input on prior to them getting rescaled. This time is different, a little over a week ago I shipped off a pair of razors to Mark for work. I was very fortunate as I thought both blades were in fantastic shape, but the scales left a lot to be desired. One was a Wosty I picked up from Obie when I visited him last summer. Blade was in beautiful shape for something which had not been restored, but the scales were blah at best. The other was a near junk Ton So Rius that I never used as it had several issues (blade heel dropped below the scales which made for a "watch out" situation, badly warped scales which made for scraping of the blade any time you opened it up for use .....

Both are sitting with Mark and he is constantly sending me updates with iPhone pics on his work and it is getting harder and harder to remain patient to get these back. I am looking forward to him posting his work on the pair here. It's getting hard to just sit here patiently when I know they are so close to finished.

129 6,685
 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM
User Info
Mark just keeps teasing me with little pics like this (the new Wosty scales)

[Image: pyzV30U.jpg]

129 6,685
 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM
User Info
Or this:

The original cream plastic Ton So Rius scales were cream plastic, and I asked them to be done in black horn. The original scales had red paint behind the front bolster so I get pics with and without the red paint on the black ....

[Image: bsxZhhF.jpg]

129 6,685
 06-18-2014, 12:47 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
decisions, decisions ! Biggrin
uh, oh.....look out ! here comes matching horn Plisson brush for the Wosty ! Smile
TSR scales looking mighty fine, also me can't wait to see 'em in entirety.
(you, too I bet ! ) awaiting the unveiling.

0 1,291
 06-18-2014, 12:52 PM
User Info
If Plisson could actually make a brush with a normal loft I'd already have one to match a few other streaked horn razors I have. Sadly all Plissons to me are extra floppy and useless.

I too am waiting for Mark to make his posts on the finished products. All the pics he is sending are little teasers. I did get a nice full view of the wosty but sadly the scales were black and not the streaked horn as discussed. I've yet to see the redone wosty. The blade looks remarkable now, never know it's not new.

129 6,685
 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
User Info
Very nice horn is such beautiful material to work with it always looks a cut above over any acrylic I've ever used.

11 1,944
 06-18-2014, 01:20 PM
User Info
Well, we know Mark will provide a wonderful result. I surely WISH I had his skills I would love to do what he does. I know it was not a skill acquired overnight. He is at the top of the game of straight razor artists in the World. That is an amazing place to be I am sure.

19 775
 06-18-2014, 01:23 PM
User Info
I just got an almost finished shot of the TSR ..... Amazing how it turned out. I had it pictured in my head, and wanted black scales though mark was suggesting something more in keeping with the original, but his work has turned out magnificent. Some touch up when the paint dries and I think there is a chance both are done and some hi rez pics may even be coming. And yes, I wish I had that kind of skill.

129 6,685
 06-18-2014, 01:40 PM
User Info
Gentlemen you are too kind.-
I could have straightened the orig.scales but I had no problem doing the black
Horn with the bolster swap.

They will be photographed this evening ( waiting to be sure paint is dry)
And then posted.
Sorry for the delay . Now I'll go back to watching paint dry.

0 777
 06-18-2014, 04:12 PM
User Info
(06-18-2014, 01:40 PM)mycarver Wrote: I could have straightened the orig.scales but I had no problem doing the black
Horn with the bolster swap.

I hope I didn't imply you did have a problem doing it. I just wanted something where the bolsters would stand out better than that cream. They just got lost being gold boosters on cream.

(06-18-2014, 01:40 PM)mycarver Wrote: Sorry for the delay . Now I'll go back to watching paint dry.

Better than getting pictures of paint drying Tongue

129 6,685
 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Doug! Enjoy the blades! Smile

83 21,109