06-18-2014, 10:15 AM
User Info
Made 16# of homemade Kielbasa today. It's better done as an autumn/winter job, but we got it done and we were out of Kielbasa, so it had to be done. (I simply won't eat commercial sausage)

I have no idea how many links it was. A lot; that's all I know. It's in the refrigerator chilling and curing as I write.

I want to stuff a bunch of this kielbasa mix into slightly smaller casings someday. I think it would great on a bun. But the casing we use right now is just too large for a bun IMO.

No doubt we'll cook some tomorrow for supper, but I have what remained in the sausage horn for my eggs in the morning. If I remember I'll take some pix.

If anyone wants the recipe let me know and I'll post it. It's not a bland Kielbasa but nice and spicy.

32 6,458
 06-18-2014, 01:45 PM
User Info
Now that is a labor of love ! Do you smoke it too ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6 1,224
 06-18-2014, 05:31 PM
User Info
I have helped make sausage once, it's a lot of work! It's sure good though. Pics!

31 1,800
 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Bet it's delicious, Brian. Enjoy. Smile

2 11,211
 06-18-2014, 07:03 PM
User Info
Brian, can this just be formed into patties and cooked, rather than in casings?

207 12,257
 06-18-2014, 11:11 PM
User Info
It is indeed a lot of work Mike, but after having great sausage from the Sausage Kitchen I simply can't eat commercial sausage, especially kielbasa **. For me it's like eating foul tasting suet going back to the commercial stuff. I wish we'd done this this winter however. I prefer my meats to be cold or even partially frozen. But that just couldn't be. We'll have plenty to take us into the winter now however. If I remember when we vacuum seal it I'll take a pic. It won't be much to see though since it'll all be in bags within vacuum bags. The pile should be impressive though. You can see the gear we used to make it now. It's on the Primo forum in the Ankarsrum thread that Lynne and I put together. Nice meat grinder (nice machine, period!) ! Our problem is that we don't have a commercial kitchen and have only sheet pans to work out of for cleanliness. The length of filled casing is our biggest PITA. Unlike Italian sausage which can be made into short links, the Kielbasa is a larger "link" and it's just too bulky to handle easily with our 1/2 sheet pans, so I use butchers string to close each link rather than spin them to form the links. As I said, a PITA, and it slows everything down. Italian sausage or Taylor Pork Roll is much easier and faster. Those are the 3 sausages that are staples for us.

John, Any sausage can be made into patties unless it's smoked, so the answer is yes. Even a patty can be smoked, but it's a bit more difficult than smoking a link. But it might be a bit dry without a casing especially if it's over cooked; and that's easy to do. In fact, I have some that stays in the sausage tube and such which gets extracted when I'm doing the cleanup and I won't waste it. I'll fry up tiny patties of it for my egg breakfast in the morning. I love fried kielbasa and scrambled eggs cooked right in with the sausage! It's comfort food from my childhood. I have thought of leaving some in bulk and making "burgers" out of them rather than stuffing into casings. But done up in casing they are much juicier and I try to limit the fat to around 20-30% which is right on the border of being dry even with a casing *. Same goes for the very hot Italian sausage we make. But I do have a few pounds of the hot Italian in bulk, I just haven't made any into patties yet, but done that way and topped with fried green peppers and onions I bet it would be to kill for. I'll need to get back to you on that.

Smoked? No I don't smoke it. I could; I do have the capability, but I have a more European palate when it comes to sausage. I have no idea at all what these would be like smoked. It's not that I don't like smoke; I do. I love southern BBQ and smoke grilled steaks, smoked hams, pastrami, and such, just not so much smoked sausage.

The sausage saga continues... I did fry up a 1" round patty tonight since it's had a few hours to cure. Just a hair too much thyme, but I'll sacrifice for the team, and if I can convince the wife that she doesn't like it I'll happily dispose of all of it. I'm just that kinda guy. :-) I don't think I'll be successful in convincing her though.

** I can buy sausage from the Sausage Kitchen (google it) as good as I can make. But for $7-$8/lb I'll spend the time, make a bunch when the weather is foul, and save the cash. I can buy boneless butt on sale for under $3/lb. Maurice is a character and makes great sausage. At one time a friend and myself gave mild thought to buying his business. But I really wanted to retire, and that wouldn't have been retirement.

* how does one keep the fat to 20-30%? I use boneless pork butt, and after feeling for bone fragments where it was cut away from the carcass, and removing them, I use the entire butt except for the lymph node. I cut that out. It's edible, but I won't knowingly put it into my sausage (it's easy to find and remove) . The boneless butt is somewhere between 20-30% fat. That makes it really easy. It's closer to 20% when there is barely any grease left in the fry pan; that's the way my sausage is typically. At 30% there is noticeable excess grease in the pan, same as cooking a burger. But fat is the moistness in sausage so go too lean and it's like eating sawdust. 20% is about the lower limit IMO.

Bowhnter wanted pix...

Some of the bulk sausage mix rescued from the grinder, formed into tiny patties approx. 1 1/2" in diameter and frying for breakfast.
[Image: DSC04109_zps375e9692.jpg]

The frozen and vac'packed sausages.
[Image: DSC04111_zps84029a52.jpg]
[Image: DSC04110_zpsc3e355c4.jpg]

32 6,458
 06-19-2014, 08:39 PM
User Info
Brian, sounds like quite a bit of work! Enjoy the food! Biggrin

82 21,077