06-18-2014, 07:48 PM
User Info
Is MJ Higgins a decent vintage razor brand. One of the truck drivers at work picked one up for me it has uneven hone wear. From 7/8 to almost 6/8. He paid $20 for it. I'd never heard of them before but since it was a Sheffield blade I gave him $20 and thanked him. Figured I'd restore it later. I'll post pics later

Sent from my iPhone

2 55
 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
User Info
(06-18-2014, 07:48 PM)travispitt Wrote: Is MJ Higgins a decent vintage razor brand. One of the truck drivers at work picked one up for me it has uneven hone wear. From 7/8 to almost 6/8. He paid $20 for it. I'd never heard of them before but since it was a Sheffield blade I gave him $20 and thanked him. Figured I'd restore it later. I'll post pics later

Sent from my iPhone

Well I have a pair of lists with names and info on most known makers, Higgins wasn't listed on one, and the other just has "MJ Higgins" but zero details. It's a shefield as you noted, $20 and a trip to a restorer and you'll have a decent blade. Biggrin

129 6,685
 06-19-2014, 01:40 PM
User Info
Here's a pic
[Image: ameba7y7.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone

2 55
 06-19-2014, 06:21 PM
User Info
they are fantastic razors, fantastic shavers, I've owned a bunch and have never been disappointed by them. yours doesn't look to have uneven wear really, it looks like a slant-edge design. wider at the toe than the heel, not uncommon by any means, it's one of my favorite designs for a blade. it imparts a slight slice cut in addition to the shearing action of a blade. it's somewhat like a skew chisel in the way it is designed to cut the hairs, slight angled slice cuts easier through the "grain" than a straight on shearing cut does. there are many examples of slant edges with the heel end being wider than the toe but they look too odd for my taste. they also will incorporate a slight taper when looking down on the spine, a little wider at the toe again. this keeps the angle of attack consistent along the whole cutting edge despite being tapered. if you made the cutting edge even with the spine it would result in an inconsistent angle along the cutting edge and an uneven bevel unless you regrind the faces also.

and a steal at $20 if you ask me Shy I've never gotten a Higgins that low before, well done

0 13
 08-01-2014, 06:45 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
That's a lovely razor. Would not take much work to get that looking and working beautifully.

2 1,683
 08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yea, nice old Sheffie. Should clean up easily and take a honing well. I have a razor that tapers from the toe back to the heel too and was made that way.

Bob

0 1,694