06-19-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
We were at our camp over the weekend. We had dinner grilled and eaten on the deck. We were sitting and enjoying the view of the pond. We are bird watchers so whenever we are on the deck we have a pair of binoculars and a field guide to birds handy.

Half way down the pond a flash of white caught my eye. The pond has a resident common loon - a large fish eating aquatic bird. He is mostly black but breeding plumage gives him white speckles on the wings and a fully white breast.

In the evening when the westering sun is low and if the loon is positioned just right his white breast glows. As I grabbed the binoculars that is the sight I expected to see.

But the "flash of white" turned out to be the butts of two naked swimmers climbing out of the water and onto their dock. They casually dried off and then sat down on their towels.

Now mind you I have old eyes and cheap binoculars. I could not see anything other than to ascertain their state of undress. A pity.

I mentioned this to my wife who said "I don't think white rumped skinny dippers are listed in the Peterson's field guide" Biggrin

Phil

7 363
 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(06-19-2014, 10:24 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: We were at our camp over the weekend. We had dinner grilled and eaten on the deck. We were sitting and enjoying the view of the pond. We are bird watchers so whenever we are on the deck we have a pair of binoculars and a field guide to birds handy.

Half way down the pond a flash of white caught my eye. The pond has a resident common loon - a large fish eating aquatic bird. He is mostly black but breeding plumage gives him white speckles on the wings and a fully white breast.

In the evening when the westering sun is low and if the loon is positioned just right his white breast glows. As I grabbed the binoculars that is the sight I expected to see.

But the "flash of white" turned out to be the butts of two naked swimmers climbing out of the water and onto their dock. They casually dried off and then sat down on their towels.

Now mind you I have old eyes and cheap binoculars. I could not see anything other than to ascertain their state of undress. A pity.

I mentioned this to my wife who said "I don't think white rumped skinny dippers are listed in the Peterson's field guide" Biggrin

Phil

24 Laughing1 24 Laughing1

2 11,211
 06-19-2014, 10:44 AM
User Info
Do they count in the "Big Year" tally?

19 775
 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
need stronger binos ! Biggrin
they may return on the migration !

0 1,291
 06-19-2014, 08:07 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
So, instead of a loon, you saw two loonies. Biggrin

178 23,807
 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
(06-19-2014, 08:07 PM)Johnny Wrote: So, instead of a loon, you saw two loonies. Biggrin

Heh, that's $4 in Canada! Biggrin

83 21,077