05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
User Info
By far, my favorite item in the wet shaving experience is the brush. So many aesthetic sensory elements. Sight, touch, smell (I even like the horsey smell of the Vie Longs). One of the things that interests me is how the actual knots are made from Pelt to finished brush. I've searched on the interwebs and can't find an equivalent amount of information on that process that one can find on how to actually use a shaving brush.

Can anyone hear suggest a resource to learn more about this? Btw, not looking to become a knot maker. I'm deeply and tragically unskilled with my hands. I also suffer from curiousity though and this interests me a great deal.

Appreciate any help.
o

5 298
 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Check this out :

\

Many brush makers follow the same artisan,hand made task when making a badger knot.

86 7,123
 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM
User Info
Maybe we should contact that show "How it's Made" to see if they can go a bit further with the process. I don't mean showing people killing animals, but how they choose the hair or bristles.

Awesome video to be sure, they make it look so easy. I would have hairs flying all over the room. LOL

9 451
 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Love that video! Agreed, looks way too easy!

35 2,703
 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:40 AM)Teiste Wrote: Check this out :

\

Many brush makers follow the same artisan,hand made task when making a badger knot.

That was fantastic. Thanks for sharing it.

5 298
 05-15-2012, 12:37 PM
User Info
Brilliant video that. I wish they had shown a close up on the technique of getting the knot into that bulb shape. Would be quite interesting to see that up close.

7 1,179
 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
User Info
Wow, they are much rougher on the hair during the manufacture of it than I am during the use of it. I think I may be babying my brushes. Well not anymore, look out brushes here I come!

Thanks for sharing the video Teiste!

31 7,914
 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 12:37 PM)Dipesh Wrote: Brilliant video that. I wish they had shown a close up on the technique of getting the knot into that bulb shape. Would be quite interesting to see that up close.

And how did they get them in those long strips of paper? Also, how is the hair taken of the pelt? How's it graded and sorted? Does it leave China as a pelt or as sorted and graded hair?

So many questions.

5 298
 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 12:37 PM)Dipesh Wrote: Brilliant video that. I wish they had shown a close up on the technique of getting the knot into that bulb shape. Would be quite interesting to see that up close.

Well, they did and they didn't do what you want. There wasn't much to see. After the woman used the large brass cylinder she reversed the hairs and put them into the smaller brass cylinder. They were all the same length. After putting them into the smaller cylinder and tapping it watch the base hairs...how they dish in. The bulb is being formed there, and it's reflected in the hair dishing in on the end that we can see.

Does that help?

Neat video BTW!

32 6,309
 05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
"The average brush will contain approximately 14000 hairs, weighed precisely to fit the securing ring that holds the brush together. The manufacturing process is highly skilled and most of the work is done by hand using traditional tools.

The ‘bundle’ of hair is combed to remove any hairs not lying straight. The hairs are then placed tip-first into a heavy metal forming block which has a concave interior to give the distinctive ‘dome’ shape of a quality brush. The end of the bundle is tied off securely with strong thread and then glued into a ring. This fixes the hairs in the finished shape of the brush.

The base or ‘shaft’ end of the hairs are sheared off (the tips are never cut as it is the fine tips that give the softness in a brush of true quality).

The clamped bundle is then carefully cemented into the chosen brush handle, creating a luxurious tool that will last for many years."

[attachment=2079]

91 17,851
 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Cool. I was just going to mention that I was assuming they figured out how much hair by weight since there was a scale there.

0 353
 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 03:28 PM)ben74 Wrote: "The average brush will contain approximately 14000 hairs, weighed precisely to fit the securing ring that holds the brush together. The manufacturing process is highly skilled and most of the work is done by hand using traditional tools.

The ‘bundle’ of hair is combed to remove any hairs not lying straight. The hairs are then placed tip-first into a heavy metal forming block which has a concave interior to give the distinctive ‘dome’ shape of a quality brush. The end of the bundle is tied off securely with strong thread and then glued into a ring. This fixes the hairs in the finished shape of the brush.

The base or ‘shaft’ end of the hairs are sheared off (the tips are never cut as it is the fine tips that give the softness in a brush of true quality).

The clamped bundle is then carefully cemented into the chosen brush handle, creating a luxurious tool that will last for many years."

Now we're groovin'. This is great. Can you provide a source for this? I'd like to read more.

5 298
 05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Information take from here:

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/...ushes.html

There is also a video, but i couldn't get it to play on my Mac...

91 17,851
 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 04:31 PM)ben74 Wrote: Information take from here:

Whoa. Too funny, Ben. If you click on the link to watch the video, it asks you to download a plugin. I clicked through to see what plugin was needed and it was a piece of software my company makes that our CTO wrote. If you feel like watching that video, you can download that software with confidence...though I didn't.

5 298
 05-15-2012, 05:53 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-15-2012, 05:46 PM)oakeshott Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 04:31 PM)ben74 Wrote: Information take from here:

Whoa. Too funny, Ben. If you click on the link to watch the video, it asks you to download a plugin. I clicked through to see what plugin was needed and it was a piece of software my company makes that our CTO wrote. If you feel like watching that video, you can download that software with confidence...though I didn't.

Thanks for the info on the plugin! I was directed from the pop up to download flip4mac, which I did, but still couldn't get the clip to play...

91 17,851
 05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
User Info
Here is the video (someone put it on youtube):

And a little more information on Mühle's website. Smile

(05-15-2012, 03:38 PM)Brent Wrote: Cool. I was just going to mention that I was assuming they figured out how much hair by weight since there was a scale there.

That is the method they use at Semogue, and at Mühle as well. And I believe that is used by other manufacturers too.

2 5,532
 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:12 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Here is the video (someone put it on youtube):

(05-15-2012, 03:38 PM)Brent Wrote: Cool. I was just going to mention that I was assuming they figured out how much hair by weight since there was a scale there.

That is the method they use at Semogue, and at Mühle as well. And I believe that is used by other manufacturers too.

You should stop at Semogue's factory and take some pics of how the knots are made...Biggrin
There was a video of the Semogue factory on youtube but it seems it have been removed.Sad

86 7,123
 05-15-2012, 11:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:12 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Here is the video (someone put it on youtube):

Ah, I didn't even think of checking You Tube, thanks for posting it here!

91 17,851
 05-15-2012, 11:42 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 03:02 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

Well, they did and they didn't do what you want. There wasn't much to see. After the woman used the large brass cylinder she reversed the hairs and put them into the smaller brass cylinder. They were all the same length. After putting them into the smaller cylinder and tapping it watch the base hairs...how they dish in. The bulb is being formed there, and it's reflected in the hair dishing in on the end that we can see.

Does that help?

Neat video BTW!

I though so, but now I want to see the brass tube and how that looks!

7 1,179
 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 02:36 PM)oakeshott Wrote:

And how did they get them in those long strips of paper? Also, how is the hair taken of the pelt? How's it graded and sorted? Does it leave China as a pelt or as sorted and graded hair?

So many questions.

This why we need to contact that show "How it's Made". I'm sure they're always looking for ideas and any brush manufacturer would be stupid to turn down the free advertising.

I'd like to see that second smaller tube. Perhaps it was patented at one time, maybe we could find the drawing. I have horses all around me that I could snip some hair from at no charge. It would be a good practice material... I'm gonna go look for that patent. LOL

9 451