06-19-2014, 05:09 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Greetings. I'm wanting to add another Shavemac to my stable, but this time, a fan with the regular silvertip (My other Shavemac is 22/52 bulb with D01-3 band). I'm still breaking in the bulb brush, but the D01 has a bit of scritch that I'm not fond of. So want to go fan this time (the other fan brush that I have and love is a Rooney 3/1 super silvertip). I'm looking for soft tips, no scritch or scrub, and was thinking 22/44 or 22/46; or 23/46 or 23/48. Any recommendations? Thanks.

13 651
 06-19-2014, 05:23 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I'm presuming that you're face lathering with the brush?

I have brushes with both D01 and Silvertip knots and would say that, in my experience, D01 tends to have softer tips than Silvertip.

The lower density of a Silvertip knot will help, but I don't think that a Silvertip knot will necessarily give you the the soft tips and no scritch or scrub you are looking for.

My advice would be to email Bernd directly and seek his advice as he will be able to give you a clearer answer based upon the hair he has in stock etc.

34 662
 06-19-2014, 05:39 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(06-19-2014, 05:23 PM)ajc347 Wrote: I'm presuming that you're face lathering with the brush?

I have brushes with both D01 and Silvertip knots and would say that, in my experience, D01 tends to have softer tips than Silvertip.

The lower density of a Silvertip knot will help, but I don't think that a Silvertip knot will necessarily give you the the soft tips and no scritch or scrub you are looking for.

My advice would be to email Bernd directly and seek his advice as he will be able to give you a clearer answer based upon the hair he has in stock etc.

Thanks for the info. Silvertip not any softer than the D01? Interesting. I've tried emailing Bernd thru the Shavemac website twice over the past several months and never gotten a response. Do you email him thru a different address? If so, I'd be happy to know what it is. Thanks again.

13 651
 06-20-2014, 04:34 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
The email address listed on the website is the one I've used. All I can suggest is trying again.

34 662
 06-20-2014, 05:18 AM
User Info
(06-19-2014, 05:09 PM)cmh8890 Wrote: Greetings. I'm wanting to add another Shavemac to my stable, but this time, a fan with the regular silvertip (My other Shavemac is 22/52 bulb with D01-3 band). I'm still breaking in the bulb brush, but the D01 has a bit of scritch that I'm not fond of. So want to go fan this time (the other fan brush that I have and love is a Rooney 3/1 super silvertip). I'm looking for soft tips, no scritch or scrub, and was thinking 22/44 or 22/46; or 23/46 or 23/48. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I have a shavemac silvertip in bulb and it has absolutely no stritch or scrub at all. It's also very very dense. I think in fan it should lose some of the feeling of density, but would otherwise be an excellent brush. In fact, I'll probably buy one in the future.

0 163
 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Glad to hear no scritch or scrub with your silvertip bulb - that's what I've always heard before. I think I'm going to gamble one more time and go for a fan.

13 651
 06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
User Info
You could get a Da Vinci, readily available, and it is without any doubt one of the best silvertip hair available. I personally have the 22mm version and only face lather, and it works great.

Regarding the loft on a Shavemac silvertip, I would go between 46 and 48mm for a 22mm knot.
But yeah, this is the problem with this kind of things, you'll never really know until you try it by yourself...Well at least that's what I learned after trying quite a few different brushes...

0 19
 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(06-20-2014, 02:26 PM)ziplepingouin Wrote: You could get a Da Vinci, readily available, and it is without any doubt one of the best silvertip hair available. I personally have the 22mm version and only face lather, and it works great.

Regarding the loft on a Shavemac silvertip, I would go between 46 and 48mm for a 22mm knot.
But yeah, this is the problem with this kind of things, you'll never really know until you try it by yourself...Well at least that's what I learned after trying quite a few different brushes...

Thanks. I was thinking just a bit more than the 2:1 rule of thumb.......I've wondered about those Da Vinci brushes. My Thater Silvertip (3 band) is my benchmark for soft tips so far. You think the Da Vinci is softer? Do they available in fan?

13 651
 06-21-2014, 12:09 AM
User Info
Well if you aready have a Thater, for me the thater and da Vinci have about the same hair quality, which is the best available in my opinion. The difference between these two is the density, the Thater has more density, So more backbone... But no, there is no fan for the Da Vinci, but if you ask me a fan Da Vinci would be a bit too soft...
Regarding the 2:1, well it might work for some people, but the thing is there are so many variables (hair type, knot shape, density...), so it's not that much of a rule for me...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

0 19
 06-21-2014, 07:30 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Thanks for the info all. Hard choice to make. I may have to wait till Bernd emails me back - IF he does - before dolling out the cash on another gamble (if the wife knew how much these brushes cost, she'd be none too happy).......unless someone who has a Shavemac fan can convince me to take the plunge anyway - with specs.

13 651
 06-21-2014, 07:39 AM
  • Lb1
  • United Kingdom
User Info
For what it's worth I ordered a beehive in finest the other day. I said that I wanted a fan knot but wanted it to still have a bit of backbone. The knot was advertised as 23mm with a loft of 52mm. Bernd advised that for what I wanted he would make it with 50mm loft.

I've got a 23mm shavemac silvertip bulb shaped knot that has a loft of 52mm that I've found to have a perfect balance of softness and backbone. Once I've got the beehive and I give you a better comparison.

0 105
 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Thanks Lb1. BTW, how long did it take for Bernd to email you back? I've been unsuccessful in getting a reply. Tried yet again a couple of days ago.

13 651
 06-21-2014, 08:33 AM
User Info
I ordered a Fan D01 from Bernd last month. Generally it takes a week to get a reply as I experienced.

17 457
 06-21-2014, 09:00 AM
  • Lb1
  • United Kingdom
User Info
(06-21-2014, 08:28 AM)cmh8890 Wrote: Thanks Lb1. BTW, how long did it take for Bernd to email you back? I've been unsuccessful in getting a reply. Tried yet again a couple of days ago.

About 6 hours. Pretty quick really although I'd bought the brush and put my preferences/questions in the comment box when checking out.

By the way my Shavemac silvertip was from here. The S&C ones are rebranded ones that ship from Shavemac (I can post a picture of the shipping note if needed). Not sure whether you can get them delivered to the US from them but I saved a third off of shavemac prices for the same thing. I take no credit for the link either. A member of another forum found it and posted it.

0 105
 06-21-2014, 09:42 AM
User Info
(06-21-2014, 07:30 AM)cmh8890 Wrote: Thanks for the info all. Hard choice to make. I may have to wait till Bernd emails me back - IF he does - before dolling out the cash on another gamble (if the wife knew how much these brushes cost, she'd be none too happy).......unless someone who has a Shavemac fan can convince me to take the plunge anyway - with specs.
it does take sometimes a few days for him to reply, but he will reply.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

0 19
 06-26-2014, 05:11 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I just received an email from Bernd regarding my fan loft inquiry. His recommendation for a face lathering, normal silvertip, fan brush, is 23/46. Knowing how dense my D01-3 band in bulb is, and that its 22mm knot is in reality a 23mm knot, my gut says to go 23/48. What do you folks think?

13 651
 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM
User Info
I just got a Shavemac silvertip 24/49 (I think). It's very soft, like lathering with a wet cotton ball. No scritch or scrub to speak of. There is little to no backbone; i'm on the fence about it. I wanted absolutely no scritch and this fits the bill, but the lack of any backbone is a negative.

On the other hand, I have a Thater 49125/1 silvertip. It's absolutely the best brush I have. It's softness rivals the Shavemac, but it has just enough backbone to make face lathering a joy. No scritch to speak of and just a kiss of scrub.

24 664
 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(06-27-2014, 09:48 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I just got a Shavemac silvertip 24/49 (I think). It's very soft, like lathering with a wet cotton ball. No scritch or scrub to speak of. There is little to no backbone; i'm on the fence about it. I wanted absolutely no scritch and this fits the bill, but the lack of any backbone is a negative.

On the other hand, I have a Thater 49125/1 silvertip. It's absolutely the best brush I have. It's softness rivals the Shavemac, but it has just enough backbone to make face lathering a joy. No scritch to speak of and just a kiss of scrub.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Shavemac normal silvertip in a fan @ 23/46. I'll let you know how I like it.....BTW, I've got a Thater bulb (4292) in the 3 band ST, and it's my "go to" brush for bowl lathering - softest tips out there IMHO.

13 651