05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
User Info
Are there specific kinds that you can't use? I've been thinking about getting one just to see how good they are. I heard that these should be left up to professional barbers since non daily use would destroy the machine. I don't know if that's true or not.

0 128
 05-15-2012, 12:37 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The stuff they use is a liquid. It might be possible to thin a cream out and use it, but I've never owned one. If you try it, I definitely want to hear about it.

10 1,858
 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 12:37 PM)Songwind Wrote: The stuff they use is a liquid. It might be possible to thin a cream out and use it, but I've never owned one. If you try it, I definitely want to hear about it.

Yeah, it's that standard stuff you can find easily at most beauty stores. I forgot the name of it.

Don't Truefitt & Hill and Art of Shaving use their creams in the lather machines? I don't think they'd mix their creams with water.

0 128
 05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you are talking about one of these Campbell Hot Lather Machines like they use in barber shops, it takes a special liquid soap. It is very thin and the machine heats it up and whips it in to a lather. I had one several year ago as I thought that would be the thing to have. Trust me, you can get better lather with a good brush. Plus, they are very expensive and when they break (and the do) they cost a lot to fix.

173 23,546
 05-15-2012, 05:33 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Hot lather machine?

Kinda takes the fun out of it, next they'll think of a way to get lather straight from a can... Tongue

91 17,853
 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 04:36 PM)Johnny Wrote: If you are talking about one of these Campbell Hot Lather Machines like they use in barber shops, it takes a special liquid soap. It is very thin and the machine heats it up and whips it in to a lather. I had one several year ago as I thought that would be the thing to have. Trust me, you can get better lather with a good brush. Plus, they are very expensive and when they break (and the do) they cost a lot to fix.
This would come in handy for those days where you're super late and have no time for the usual brush + cream duo.

How do they break anyway? Is it maintenance issue or are they built like a Cadillac - needs to be replaced ever 3 months ?Tongue

0 128
 05-15-2012, 11:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Things just wear out. The heating element, the little electric motor, etc. Like any soap solution, eventually you have to take the thing apart and clean out all the soap scum that accumulates. Last I checked, these machines were selling for around $250.00 and up. On those days where I was super late, I think I would just grab a can of Barbasol. Can't believe I just said that.

173 23,546
 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
Years back I owned a Campbells hot lather machine. If you shave in the morning and want hot lather you would probably need to turn it on the night before. It doesn't heat up very quickly. I live in New Orleans and there is a barber shop here that features "hot towel shaves" They use Campbell machines with Truefitt& Hill creams. Never asked about the dilution rate though....

0 36
 11-21-2012, 05:12 PM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(11-21-2012, 02:03 PM)bigsid Wrote: Years back I owned a Campbells hot lather machine. If you shave in the morning and want hot lather you would probably need to turn it on the night before. It doesn't heat up very quickly. I live in New Orleans and there is a barber shop here that features "hot towel shaves" They use Campbell machines with Truefitt& Hill creams. Never asked about the dilution rate though....
I had a barbershop shave at Art of Shaving store in Pittsburgh and the barber told me they use the AOS unscented cream in their hot lather machine. Some how they dilute it.

19 414