06-20-2014, 10:25 AM
User Info
Hi All,

I still have a bit left on my Martin de Candre Soap (love it! Smile), but I wanted to restock before it ran out.

Is the only place to order MdC still direct from Martin de Candre in France?

And if so, is this their updated New Online Store?

http://savonnerie-martin-de-candre.com/en/

The Bookmark I had for MdC last year has deadlinks when I try to check product info.

Thanks!

3 290
 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
 06-20-2014, 07:57 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
You're in LA... Use Stats! Olde Towne Shaving sells MdC and is located in Pasadena.

http://www.oldtownshaving.com/

10 753
 06-20-2014, 09:42 PM
User Info
(06-20-2014, 07:57 PM)grantmm Wrote: You're in LA... Use Stats! Olde Towne Shaving sells MdC and is located in Pasadena.

http://www.oldtownshaving.com/

Yup! That's where I'd order it from.

32 6,445
 06-21-2014, 07:14 AM
User Info
Two thumbs up for old town shaving. Placed an order on Thursday scheduled to receive it today and I'm on the east coast, also Damon is a true gentleman to deal with answered all my questions and was truly interested in making it an all around great shopping experience.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 06-22-2014, 07:52 AM
User Info
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice! Biggrin

I can't believe there's a shave shop relatively nearby! Thanks for the 411 on Old Town. I'll have to pay them a visit one weekend. Smile

3 290
 06-22-2014, 08:19 AM
User Info
By the way a little off topic but how is Martin De candre is it worth all the hype? I'm thinking of adding a jar to my next order.

115 1,005
 06-22-2014, 01:33 PM
User Info
(06-22-2014, 08:19 AM)essrbc11 Wrote: By the way a little off topic but how is Martin De candre is it worth all the hype? I'm thinking of adding a jar to my next order.

I don't think it's off topic at all. You posted it in soaps, correct? Biggrin It's a valid question, and Ken already got his answer, but clearly, I'm not Ken. It's his thread.

As you might imagine there are folks on both sides of the question you ask.

I still think it's the pinnacle of soap making. But there are some upstarts that come awfully close. Is the last bit of soap superlative worth the extra cash? Is the use of natural scent worth it? Again, there are folks who think it is, and folks who don't. Same as there are folks who shave with cartridges and love them and folks who left cartridges and bid them a good riddance.

I'm one who values real scents made from botanicals, but not everyone does. Synthetic scents bother me, really physically bother me.

The scent of the original MdC was strong, but never bothered me. I liken MdC to fine wine. Let it age in the jar for a time (1 -2 years) and it gets so much better IMO. The performance is superlative at any point, but again is that slight edge worth the money? I can't answer that for you. I don't use it every day, just when I want something really special. There are soaps that come really close to the performance of MdC without the incredibly high price, and without the scent that some folks simply cannot tolerate. I did a review of some of them awhile back. Maybe a search will turn it up. But the German made Klar soaps are quite good, their now discontinued Klar Kabinett was exceptional for the price. I didn't do a cost/kilo/quality analysis regarding the rest of the Klar line, but the amount in a Klar can is quite a bit less than the amount in a MdC jar (for less $). It too is quite expensive though even without the cost/kilo comparison.

There's one way to tell for yourself... try MdC. If you don't like it I doubt you'll have a problem selling it.

One thing to be aware of... It lathers so easily the tendency might be to use less product to "get the most for the buck". I think that's a mistake. Use it as normal. Enjoy the product as it was meant to be used. After all, if your face isn't worth it, just whose face is??

32 6,445
 06-22-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
(06-22-2014, 01:33 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(06-22-2014, 08:19 AM)essrbc11 Wrote: By the way a little off topic but how is Martin De candre is it worth all the hype? I'm thinking of adding a jar to my next order.

I don't think it's off topic at all. You posted it in soaps, correct? Biggrin It's a valid question, and Ken already got his answer, but clearly, I'm not Ken. It's his thread.

As you might imagine there are folks on both sides of the question you ask.

I still think it's the pinnacle of soap making. But there are some upstarts that come awfully close. Is the last bit of soap superlative worth the extra cash? Is the use of natural scent worth it? Again, there are folks who think it is, and folks who don't. Same as there are folks who shave with cartridges and love them and folks who left cartridges and bid them a good riddance.

I'm one who values real scents made from botanicals, but not everyone does. Synthetic scents bother me, really physically bother me.

The scent of the original MdC was strong, but never bothered me. I liken MdC to fine wine. Let it age in the jar for a time (1 -2 years) and it gets so much better IMO. The performance is superlative at any point, but again is that slight edge worth the money? I can't answer that for you. I don't use it every day, just when I want something really special. There are soaps that come really close to the performance of MdC without the incredibly high price, and without the scent that some folks simply cannot tolerate. I did a review of some of them awhile back. Maybe a search will turn it up. But the German made Klar soaps are quite good, their now discontinued Klar Kabinett was exceptional for the price. I didn't do a cost/kilo/quality analysis regarding the rest of the Klar line, but the amount in a Klar can is quite a bit less than the amount in a MdC jar (for less $). It too is quite expensive though even without the cost/kilo comparison.

There's one way to tell for yourself... try MdC. If you don't like it I doubt you'll have a problem selling it.
thanks for the advice, I think I will give it a spin on next order if my significant other does strangle me because of another shaving purchase on a related note I had my first shave with pre De provence today and it was simply divine, if this is the poor man's Martin De candre like I've been told I will surely be happy with the new purchase. happy shaving.

115 1,005
 06-24-2014, 11:54 PM
User Info
Brian's answer is perfect !

I tried it, and I'm not a fan. I like the fact that it is natural, scent is ok, but it is WAY overpriced. (and I'm in France, so I can have it "cheap"). Klar Kabinett was awesome, but hard to find now, but Le Père Lucien is my go-to natural soap. Very effective, and quite cheaper !

3 258