06-20-2014, 10:40 AM
User Info
Hi All,

After going through a nice Sampler Pack (from WCS) with a bunch of different blades, I ended up narrowing in on:

* Gillette 7'O Clock Yellow blades

Those were by far the sharpest, yet smoothest for my face using an Edwin Jagger DE 89. As an FYI, I also tried Feathers, Persona Blue, Bic Chrome Platinum (Yellow), and Astra Platinums. These were all pretty solid, but the 7'O Clock Yellow edged them out for me (I left out all the really disappointing ones from the list).

Before I stock up on Gillette 7'O Clock Yellows:

* What other Blades would you recommend that are similar in providing a Sharp yet Smooth, BBS-quality shave, given the fact that for me, the Gillette 7'O Clock Yellows performed the best for my setup and face?

I heard about Super Iridiums, and Gillette 7'O Clock BLUES, but those are out-of-print?

Is there anything else I should try before locking in on Yellows?

Thanks!

3 290
 06-20-2014, 10:45 AM
  • Lb1
  • United Kingdom
User Info
Polsilver super iridiums. They're still produced and very good. Look at some of the Russian brands such as Rapira, Sputnik, Voskhod, Lada etc. You can usually buy a sampler pack off of the bay.

0 105
 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
It's all YMMV, but my first favorite blades were also 7 O'Clock Yellows and since then I've found the Greens, all the Polsilvers, and the Iridium Supers to be excellent. On the lower end of the cost scale I really like Lord Cools, Asco Oranges, and Vidyut Zorriks. Vintage blades that I've found to be excellent are numerous.

7 2,281
 06-20-2014, 01:51 PM
User Info
Israeli Red Personna are smoother IMO.
7'O'clock Blacks (Indian) are smoother and much sharper.

For me though, Astra Platinum are the best so far...

6 808
 06-22-2014, 02:40 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Astra SP is nice. Astra SS is also good to try. I like Silver Blues too and the Red Personnas have been working out well.

What I have noticed is that a blade might feel good in one razor, perfect in another and harsh in still another. Also, as technique evolves, a razor/blade combo might suddenly feel milder or more aggressive than before.

Stock up on what your EJ and face like but prepare to explore other blades and combinations as you adopt more razors and/or refine your technique.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-22-2014, 08:11 AM
User Info
(06-20-2014, 11:57 AM)Mouser Wrote: It's all YMMV, but my first favorite blades were also 7 O'Clock Yellows and since then I've found the Greens, all the Polsilvers, and the Iridium Supers to be excellent.

(06-20-2014, 01:51 PM)Galhatz Wrote: 7'O'clock Blacks (Indian) are smoother and much sharper.

(06-22-2014, 02:40 AM)Karlo Wrote: What I have noticed is that a blade might feel good in one razor, perfect in another and harsh in still another. Also, as technique evolves, a razor/blade combo might suddenly feel milder or more aggressive than before.

Stock up on what your EJ and face like but prepare to explore other blades and combinations as you adopt more razors and/or refine your technique.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate the recommendations. Biggrin

@ Mouser: You mention "all the Polsilvers, AND the Iridium Supers"...

To clarify, are there 2 different Blades, one called "Polsilver Super Iridium" *and* "Iridium Super" Blades? If so, do you know a store that carries both of them?

@ Galhatz: Thanks. For the Gillette 7 O' Clock Black that you recommend is it the "Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum"? How do I know it's from India?

@ Karlo: Great advice. Very true. Smile I won't buy a 100 Pack of any of these yet; I wanna try a few more of these new recommended ones from you all, and then narrow it down. Smile

Thanks all!

3 290
 06-22-2014, 08:31 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
ShaveKnight, there is some question as to whether the two Iridiums are different blades or just repackaged but here's a link to someone who carries them both......... http://www.shaving.ie/double-edge-blades/

7 2,281
 06-25-2014, 07:39 AM
User Info
Personally, I found the original Super Iridiums are better blades than the Polsilver ones. However, YMMV!

82 21,056
 06-26-2014, 10:41 AM
User Info
(06-25-2014, 07:39 AM)celestino Wrote: Personally, I found the original Super Iridiums are better blades than the Polsilver ones. However, YMMV!

Thanks everyone. Smile

@ celestino: Good to know. Are the original "Super Iridiums" now officially out of print? Is that why they are much more expensive than Polsilver Super Iridiums?

Also, where would you recommend buying these Original Super Iridiums from?

Thanks!

3 290
 06-26-2014, 12:38 PM
User Info
Gillette Silver Blue from Russia

Gillette Super Thin from Thailand

Astra Super Platinum from Russia

119 13,017
 07-05-2014, 03:26 AM
User Info
Gillette Platinums
Rapira Lux