05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
It is a few weeks away yet but I am thinking about getting the old man some shaving products for Fathers Day, It's a guaranteed win as this is something he will use and enjoy, he is tricky to buy for and always has been lol, with him returning to traditional wet shaving it's perfect timing.

The question is what to get him, I am asking for some ideas please guys if possible. For those who don't know I am a newbie to the traditional wet shaving after the old man introduced me a week or so ago, with so many products available I find myself overwhelmed choosing a starting point for myself let alone purchasing gifts, any suggestions would be hugely grateful

0 62
 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
User Info
I'd take a look in his shave cabinet and find out what he has/doesn't have.

I could list all the kit required, but you know it also. It needs to be brought to his level and only you can do that.

32 6,309
 05-15-2012, 02:59 PM
User Info
Yeah, I think it will depend on what kind of kit he is already using and finding out some general things that he likes. He is more of a soap or cream kinda guy? Does he have a few good brushes? Could he use another brush, or maybe a vintage razor that you find at a local antique shop and clean up for him. Lots of ideas here and Clap to you for getting into this and already wanting to get some for your dad and share the experience of traditional shaving together.

31 7,914
 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I like Brian's idea of a vintage find. A razor from his past or even birth year would make a special gift IMO and with a little work (cleaning tips can be found on the forum) you could turn an inexpensive antique score in to a beautiful nostalgic gift.

Failing that a selection of soap/cream products for him to try. I've found that getting the best shave is a rather individual pursuit in that you need to try different things to find whats best for you, so a selection of "software" could help him do that.

Something you do with him as father and son "outing" to mark the special occasion is to visit a barber shop and both experience a nice straight razor shave together...

91 17,854
 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
What year was he born?

116 3,804
 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
Thanks for all the feedback Gents, appreciated Smile

He was born in 1958, currently using Proraso products, and Tabac, noticed a tube of Derby also, He has two razors both Merkur, 34C and the futur chrome, Feather & Derby blades and a Wilkinson brush, will be looking into a reasonably priced brush for him (again any recommendations would be grateful)

The vintage Razor idea is excellent along with us both going to a barbers also, I will be looking into an 'outing' locally for sure.

0 62
 05-16-2012, 08:24 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-16-2012, 08:15 AM)Philbo Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback Gents, appreciated Smile

He was born in 1958, currently using Proraso products, and Tabac, noticed a tube of Derby also, He has two razors both Merkur, 34C and the futur chrome, Feather & Derby blades and a Wilkinson brush, will be looking into a reasonably priced brush for him (again any recommendations would be grateful)

The vintage Razor idea is excellent along with us both going to a barbers also, I will be looking into an 'outing' locally for sure.

1958 is the Gillette Fatboy Redpoint Prototype D1 and the Gold Toggle D1 - good luck with those!

But what would be obtainable from 1958 is the Gillette Super-Speed "D4" or the TV Special Super-Speed "D1".

91 17,854
 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
Philbo,
You are a good son.

Nothing could compare with the thoughtfulness of taking the old man out for a pampering shave at a place that does it right. He'll appreciate your taking his interests into account but enjoy the experience of sharing it with you even more. The fact that you want to spend time with him will mean more than anything else.

With that out of the way, I would recommend against soaps simply because scent is such a personal thing. Very hard to pick that for someone else. If all he has, however, is the one inexpensive brush, then I don't see how you can go wrong getting him something nice in the brush department.

Specific recommendations are the Vie Long Horse Hair brush. I like those because they have spectacular handles and lather up great but should be in your budget (under 50). If you're inclined to spend more, you can't go wrong with a Simpson brush though I wouldn't know which of those to recommend.

Of course, the previous recs for a birth year razor are brilliant and he would see that as truly thoughtful.

5 298
 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
A nice Simpson or Semogue brush might be nice along with the '58 razor, or even the Simpson's 58 brush to go with his birth year razor!!

75 20,883
 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
Big thanks to ben74, I have managed to source both the Gillette Super-Speed "D4" & the TV Special Super-Speed "D1", I just need to decide which one to go for Smile !

Thank you oakeshott for the brush advice and the kind words also.

And thanks to celestino, Simpson's 58 brush to sit along side either of the razors is perfect.

I will report back on the reaction I receive.

0 62
 05-16-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
What excellent responses and ideas! Thumbsup

I second the brush! A shave gear safari is also a great idea. A father and son outing is Clap .

32 6,309
 05-17-2012, 07:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-16-2012, 02:08 PM)Philbo Wrote: Big thanks to ben74, I have managed to source both the Gillette Super-Speed "D4" & the TV Special Super-Speed "D1", I just need to decide which one to go for Smile !

And thanks to celestino, Simpson's 58 brush to sit along side either of the razors is perfect.

I thought the 58 was a great idea too! Well done Celestino!

I'm not really a razor expert, but the blue tip SS D4 is a mild razor with light blade exposure, I'd be inclined to choose the TV Special.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about his reaction.

I have 2 sons (only aged 2 and 4) and I'm already setting aside various shaving items for them. My father didn't teach me to shave and that's something I won't repeat with my sons.

I would be ecstatic if one day they were contemplating something as thoughtful as you are doing for your father.

I'm sure you'll both get a lot out of this endeavour, thank-you for sharing it with us.

91 17,854
 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
(05-17-2012, 07:15 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 02:08 PM)Philbo Wrote: Big thanks to ben74, I have managed to source both the Gillette Super-Speed "D4" & the TV Special Super-Speed "D1", I just need to decide which one to go for Smile !

I'm not really a razor expert, but the blue tip SS D4 is a mild razor with light blade exposure, I'd be inclined to choose the TV Special.

I have 2 sons (only aged 2 and 4) and I'm already setting aside various shaving items for them. My father didn't teach me to shave and that's something I won't repeat with my sons.

I would be ecstatic if one day they were contemplating something as thoughtful as you are doing for your father.

I'm sure you'll both get a lot out of this endeavour, thank-you for sharing it with us.

The funny thing is Ben my old man did not teach me to shave either, it was one of those father son experiences that never took place. I am 32, and although we have a great relationship I find it amusing that we have come round to sharing this now 16/17 years late if you like Biggrin

0 62
 05-18-2012, 03:57 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-17-2012, 01:45 PM)Philbo Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 07:15 AM)ben74 Wrote:

The funny thing is Ben my old man did not teach me to shave either, it was one of those father son experiences that never took place. I am 32, and although we have a great relationship I find it amusing that we have come round to sharing this now 16/17 years late if you like Biggrin

Better late than never!

91 17,854
 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
Just a quick update on how the 1958 gillette tv super-speed razor went down with my Father as his Fathers Day present.

Safe to say he was made up, I got my 17 month old daughter (first grandchild in the family) to give it to him.......all together now 'Ahhhhhhhhhh'.

It is his birthday on Wednesday, he has MWF in the ceramic bowl and what will be his first Semogue brush (1305)!

Thanks again for all the help gents.

0 62
 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-18-2012, 01:10 PM)Philbo Wrote: *snip*
I got my 17 month old daughter (first grandchild in the family) to give it to him.......all together now 'Ahhhhhhhhhh'.

awwwww! how sweet Smile

9 1,684