06-20-2014, 09:30 PM
  • ThreeBs
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
User Info
So I got a Plisson from my wonderful girlfriend today. And I was curious to see how it would stack up against my Omega Hi-Brush that I got a couple days ago. I was really impressed by that little Omega and the lather it produced was just out of this world.

Well, the lather I got from the Plisson was OUT OF THIS UNIVERSE. It's hard and painful for me to say this, but this is the best brush in my den. You guys were right, I was wrong. Synth win, badger lose (Only in terms of quality of lather. I can't judge the face feel since I haven't face lathered with it yet). So, I went and decided to start with Cella, to be able to fairly compare the Plisson and the Omega since the first soap I lathered with the Hi-Brush was also Cella. It gave me an even BETTER lather. Even THICKER and DENSER, even MORE glide and cushion. Again, I couldn't believe it. At that point I was just flabbergasted. Just how could it even create such a lather !? I thought it was simply ridiculous how good this brush performed.

So to match it's ridiculous ability to lather, I decided to try a soap that was ridiculously un-latherable. I decided to throw a curved ball at that little Plisson. I have never, for the life of me, been able to lather one of my favourite soaps (in terms of scent), Wm. Neumman - Heartwood. This is one of my favourite scents in the world, but every time I would try to lather it, the lather would be foamy/bubbly and would dissipate on me. I had tried every trick on the internet to be able to lather this soap. Dry method, wet method, super freaking wet method, loading upside down, soaking the soap 5-10 minutes before using it, breakdancing while lathering etc. EVERYTHING. I have very hard water so it's hard for me to lather some soaps. Sadly, after many weeks, I gave up. I decided that I would sell this soap and hope that someone would be able to lather it. Looks like all it needed was that little Plisson! It whipped up that Wm Neumann like nobodies business ! Small air bubbles, stable lather, creamy and dense. Amazing ! This brush just saved my tub of Heartwood, and I couldn't be happier. And I know it's not a super lather like I got from Cella or that I got with my Hi-Brush w/ RR Freedberg in the picture I posted with my review of the Hi-Brush, but man ! It lathered Wm. Neumann ! And the lather was great ! Not a super lather, but this is more than acceptable.

I'm sorry guys, but the rumours are true. It's one of the best brushes out there. And you really have to get one.

[Image: vfaCZYO.jpg]
[Image: jYsvxnD.jpg]
[Image: XrMdzIv.jpg]

25 147
 06-20-2014, 09:38 PM
User Info
It does make good lather. I discovered tonight that the Plisson likes more water than most other brushes. I wet the brush really good then give it 2 good shakes. Then it's good to go. Tonight I used VDH Luxury soap.

5 1,562
 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review Marc-André. I used mine for the second time yesterday and was very pleased. Mine will get a real workout for the next two weeks. If it passes my test I will buy another for backup.

I know Brian, you told me so. Wink

179 23,923
 06-21-2014, 04:44 AM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
Great review Marc-André! I love my Plisson synthetic, too.

2 447
 06-21-2014, 10:53 AM
User Info
Congratulations on the good results! It definitely is a lovely brush and I also enjoy the ones I have. Enjoy!

83 21,109
 06-21-2014, 06:26 PM
User Info
I also enjoy the Plisson that Celestino has. Biggrin
The handle is not the best gripping one I've ever tried, but workable. If I was to get another, it would be the new premium resin.

29 1,776
 06-21-2014, 06:32 PM
User Info
(06-21-2014, 06:26 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I also enjoy the Plisson that Celestino has. Biggrin

Biggrin

83 21,109
 06-21-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
Do all of the Plisson synthetic brushes come only in a 22mm knot?

5 1,562
 06-21-2014, 06:47 PM
User Info
Pliss-Oh for the win!

Johnny, it's the only brush that I've bought a backup of myself. One direct from Plisson may just show up on a Christmas list in the next couple of months. Blush

31 8,058
 06-21-2014, 08:38 PM
User Info
(06-21-2014, 06:38 PM)shave/brush Wrote: Do all of the Plisson synthetic brushes come only in a 22mm knot?

Currently, the L'Occitane Cade and all the direct synthetic offerings by Plisson are only offered in Plisson's Size 12 (22/56).

0 386
 06-22-2014, 04:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Plisson do make some exceptional brushes...

99 18,011
 06-22-2014, 08:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-21-2014, 08:38 PM)branford Wrote:
(06-21-2014, 06:38 PM)shave/brush Wrote: Do all of the Plisson synthetic brushes come only in a 22mm knot?

Currently, the L'Occitane Cade and all the direct synthetic offerings by Plisson are only offered in Plisson's Size 12 (22/56).

IMHO this is the perfect size for a synthetic brush.

179 23,923
 06-22-2014, 08:17 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
No disagreement here! My Plisson makes consistently excellent lather. Love it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

14 871
 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM
  • ThreeBs
User Info
(06-22-2014, 08:13 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(06-21-2014, 08:38 PM)branford Wrote:

IMHO this is the perfect size for a synthetic brush.

That's true. I wouldn't want this knot to be bigger. It really is the perfect size. It's a bit weird for me, since i'm more into bigger brushes (25-30mm), but this Plisson is just awesome as it is. I'm going to be shaving with it today. I'll report back when i'm done to give you guys a full ''review''.

25 147
 06-22-2014, 01:50 PM
  • ThreeBs
User Info
There you go :

I did a test lather / review on the brush when I got it and I was just flabbergasted by the performance of this brush. Now, I had only tested it using a bowl or using my hand. I had not face lathered with it. Well today, I did and let me tell you something, it was AMAZING. But, I'm happy to report that it won't replace my trusty badgers, and here's why. The fibres of the Plisson are the softest around. As a matter of fact, I thought they were almost TOO soft. I could barely feel anything at all. It was weird for me, because it felt like lathering with... lather... more than it felt like lathering with a shaving brush, if that makes any sense. I'm used to badger and when you face lather with a Super/Silvertip (or Simpsons Best) knot, you can feel the actual hairs massaging your skin. The hairs themselves give you that sensation of softness and cushion. But the Plisson was so soft that, again, I could barely feel the brush. And for me, it was a tad bit floppy, but not like your regular floppy badger brush. It just had different properties and motions then what I'm used to, but that might just be because it was my first time face lathering with a synthetic brush. I'll probably get used to it and who knows, I might come to prefer it over my badgers but I need a little more experience with the brush. Apart from that, it was truly amazing. The fibres felt luxurious on my face. And I can guaranty you that there's nothing like doing painting strokes with a synth Plisson. And what a lather did it produce ! Man that brush makes the best lather in the world, no matter what you throw at it. Super tiny air bubbles, greek yogurt-like consistency, perfect lather every time. In terms of quality of lather, the Plisson synthetic is still the best brush in my den. It is a great brush, in fact with that single use I can easily tell that it's one of my favourite brushes.

25 147
 06-22-2014, 09:05 PM
User Info
You sure like the new Plisson! Congratulations and it definitely is a great brush. Enjoy. Smile

83 21,109
 06-22-2014, 09:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've tried a couple of synthetics now and they just didn't do it for me, but I'm very tempted to try the Plisson...

99 18,011
 06-23-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
(06-22-2014, 09:13 PM)ben74 Wrote: I've tried a couple of synthetics now and they just didn't do it for me, but I'm very tempted to try the Plisson...

The Plisson is different from the other synthetic brushes I have tried and I have tried many. I didn't like it on my first shave but now I think it is going to be my go-to brush. Makes great lather and that really is what it's all about.

5 1,562
 06-23-2014, 05:52 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(06-22-2014, 09:13 PM)ben74 Wrote: I've tried a couple of synthetics now and they just didn't do it for me, but I'm very tempted to try the Plisson...

Well worth your while Ben. Give it a bit of time to get used to. It's a fantastic brush. I would love to hear your oppinion on it!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

14 871
 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM
User Info
(06-23-2014, 05:52 AM)Attila Wrote:

Well worth your while Ben. Give it a bit of time to get used to. It's a fantastic brush. I would love to hear your oppinion on it!

+1 on both comments! You know you are going to have to try it, Ben! Enjoy the brush. Biggrin

83 21,109