05-15-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
I used my EF soap this morn and I loved it all over again. It is such a great scent and lathered like a champ.

All I have to say is that I will miss it when it is gone. I have only one more puck after this then it is all over.

What are the chances of Pens ever getting this right again? Maybe even adding tallow?

5 413
 05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Never got a chance to use the tallow English Fern or Blenheim Bouquet and I guess I never will. Have you tried the current production of either? If so what's the most notable difference?

91 17,823
 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
What version do you have,the tallow or veggie based one?
It seems like the tallow was one of the best soaps ever made...but I have tried old Yardley and Im sure couldn't beat that one is thickness and creaminess of the lather.

86 7,123
 05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(05-15-2012, 05:37 PM)ben74 Wrote: Never got a chance to use the tallow English Fern or Blenheim Bouquet and I guess I never will. Have you tried the current production of either? If so what's the most notable difference?

I have the tallow versions of both EF and BB, I haven't used my EF yet, and the BB is a regular in my rotation and it's a great soap.

I've tried the re-formulated English Fern and If I say it's one of the worst shaving soaps I've ever used I'm being really nice. It just plain sucked.

7 1,018
 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(05-15-2012, 06:38 PM)Sully Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 05:37 PM)ben74 Wrote: Never got a chance to use the tallow English Fern or Blenheim Bouquet and I guess I never will. Have you tried the current production of either? If so what's the most notable difference?

I have the tallow versions of both EF and BB, I haven't used my EF yet, and the BB is a regular in my rotation and it's a great soap.

I've tried the re-formulated English Fern and If I say it's one of the worst shaving soaps I've ever used I'm being really nice. It just plain sucked.

Shawn, you're understating the performance of the re-formulated EF. Wow, what a contrast to the tallowy original. [[Sighs]]

35 2,703
 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-15-2012, 06:38 PM)Sully Wrote: I've tried the re-formulated English Fern and If I say it's one of the worst shaving soaps I've ever used I'm being really nice. It just plain sucked.

I have a puck of the non tallow EF (sodium palmate). I was looking forward to giving it a try...

91 17,823
 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Is this the new Penhaligon's English Fern shaving soap formulation/ingredients list ?I m asking that cuz I dont know if have been reformulated (again) like the Floris N89 shaving soap.

Sodium Palmate Potassium Stearate Sodium Cocoate Sodium Stearate Aqua Potassium Cocoate Glycerin Parfum Tetrasodium EDTA Sodium Chloride Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone Linalool Citronellol Coumarin Bisabolol Tocopheryl Acetate Evernia Prunastri (oakmoss) Extract Amyl Cinnamal Tetrasodium Etidronate Geraniol Eugenol Limonene Benzyl Benzoate CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake) CI 77492 (Iron Oxides) CI 77007 (Ultramarines)

86 7,123
 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM
User Info
I love the scent of EF. With myself, I don't care if it has tallow or not, as long as the performance is there, I'm happy.

Am I right in thinking the new formula of EF is no good?

7 1,179
 05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-15-2012, 09:35 PM)Teiste Wrote: Is this the new Penhaligon's English Fern shaving soap formulation/ingredients list ?I m asking that cuz I dont know if have been reformulated (again) like the Floris N89 shaving soap.

Sodium Palmate Potassium Stearate Sodium Cocoate Sodium Stearate Aqua Potassium Cocoate Glycerin Parfum Tetrasodium EDTA Sodium Chloride Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone Linalool Citronellol Coumarin Bisabolol Tocopheryl Acetate Evernia Prunastri (oakmoss) Extract Amyl Cinnamal Tetrasodium Etidronate Geraniol Eugenol Limonene Benzyl Benzoate CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake) CI 77492 (Iron Oxides) CI 77007 (Ultramarines)

That's the one I have...

(05-15-2012, 11:08 PM)Dipesh Wrote: I love the scent of EF. With myself, I don't care if it has tallow or not, as long as the performance is there, I'm happy.

I like the scent too. I can't comment on the lather, because I haven't tried it yet, but some of the previous comments about it are none too flattering...

91 17,823
 05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:12 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 09:35 PM)Teiste Wrote: Is this the new Penhaligon's English Fern shaving soap formulation/ingredients list ?I m asking that cuz I dont know if have been reformulated (again) like the Floris N89 shaving soap.

That's the one I have...

(05-15-2012, 11:08 PM)Dipesh Wrote: I love the scent of EF. With myself, I don't care if it has tallow or not, as long as the performance is there, I'm happy.

I like the scent too. I can't comment on the lather, because I haven't tried it yet, but some of the previous comments about it are none too flattering...

Time to use it,Ben!and let us know how it went,please.Biggrin

86 7,123
 05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:15 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 11:12 PM)ben74 Wrote:

That's the one I have...

Time to use it,Ben!and let us know how it went,please.Biggrin

I'm going to need to start shaving other parts of my body to keep up with the requests... Tongue

91 17,823
 05-16-2012, 03:24 AM
User Info
I used to think that tallow was a magic ingredient. But, after getting my MDC in and using it I have found that it is possible to make a great lather without tallow. So, tallow or no they just screwed the pooch on one of the greatest soaps ever!!

5 413
 05-16-2012, 03:55 AM
User Info
Yesterday I started a few days of using Dr. Selby's concentrated, and my reaction is the same as above. Selby's lathers much like Martin de Candre, with only a handful of ingredients, and no tallow. Penhaligon's and the other reformulated disasters are just foolish. It's apparently no big deal to make a veggie soap that lathers like a champ. And guess what --- it's really easy to buy too. Why not get a product that does work, instead of one that doesn't?

24 1,150
 05-16-2012, 04:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
MdC is my go to soap!

91 17,823
 05-16-2012, 04:33 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(05-15-2012, 06:54 PM)TexBilly Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 06:38 PM)Sully Wrote:

Shawn, you're understating the performance of the re-formulated EF. Wow, what a contrast to the tallowy original. [[Sighs]]

I know Bill, I was trying to be gentle.

I think that is the reformulated soap.

The general consensus seems to be that the non-tallow version is worthless as a shaving soap, and not that great as a bath soap. A couple of guys tried mixing the reformulated EF with soaps soaps like unscented AOS or MWF in an attempt to get a decent lather, it didn't work very well.

(05-16-2012, 03:24 AM)Krisbarger Wrote: I used to think that tallow was a magic ingredient. But, after getting my MDC in and using it I have found that it is possible to make a great lather without tallow. So, tallow or no they just screwed the pooch on one of the greatest soaps ever!!

Tallow isn't a magic ingredient but Pen's had what many consider to be one of the greatest shaving soaps ever made and they replaced it with junk.

7 1,018
 05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
User Info
(05-16-2012, 04:33 AM)Sully Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 06:54 PM)TexBilly Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 06:38 PM)Sully Wrote: I have the tallow versions of both EF and BB, I haven't used my EF yet, and the BB is a regular in my rotation and it's a great soap.

I know Bill, I was trying to be gentle.

I think that is the reformulated soap.

The general consensus seems to be that the non-tallow version is worthless as a shaving soap, and not that great as a bath soap. A couple of guys tried mixing the reformulated EF with soaps soaps like unscented AOS or MWF in an attempt to get a decent lather, it didn't work very well.

(05-16-2012, 03:24 AM)Krisbarger Wrote: I used to think that tallow was a magic ingredient. But, after getting my MDC in and using it I have found that it is possible to make a great lather without tallow. So, tallow or no they just screwed the pooch on one of the greatest soaps ever!!

Tallow isn't a magic ingredient but Pen's had what many consider to be one of the greatest shaving soaps ever made and they replaced it with junk.

+1

5 413
 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-16-2012, 03:55 AM)brothers Wrote: Yesterday I started a few days of using Dr. Selby's concentrated, and my reaction is the same as above. Selby's lathers much like Martin de Candre, with only a handful of ingredients, and no tallow. Penhaligon's and the other reformulated disasters are just foolish. It's apparently no big deal to make a veggie soap that lathers like a champ. And guess what --- it's really easy to buy too. Why not get a product that does work, instead of one that doesn't?

The Stearic Acid that Dr Selby contains comes from tallow.That was the guys from Terry SL told me.But Im agree with you,a couple ingredients,and like Martin de Candre,a superb soap,regarding its scent.

86 7,123
 05-17-2012, 01:14 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-16-2012, 09:17 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 03:55 AM)brothers Wrote: Yesterday I started a few days of using Dr. Selby's concentrated, and my reaction is the same as above. Selby's lathers much like Martin de Candre, with only a handful of ingredients, and no tallow. Penhaligon's and the other reformulated disasters are just foolish. It's apparently no big deal to make a veggie soap that lathers like a champ. And guess what --- it's really easy to buy too. Why not get a product that does work, instead of one that doesn't?

The Stearic Acid that Dr Selby contains comes from tallow.That was the guys from Terry SL told me.But Im agree with you,a couple ingredients,and like Martin de Candre,a superb soap,regarding its scent.

Interesting Tieste.

As far as the MdC, some people love it other seem to detest it. I'm with the first group - I love it!

91 17,823
 05-17-2012, 02:22 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(05-17-2012, 01:14 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(05-16-2012, 09:17 AM)Teiste Wrote:

Interesting Tieste.

As far as the MdC, some people love it other seem to detest it. I'm with the first group - I love it!

A little off topic, but for those that have tried the unscented, I've heard that it has a bit of a woody scent. Does it actually smell woody, or is it just a muted soapy smell that is vaguely reminiscent of wood?

9 541
 05-17-2012, 02:35 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(05-16-2012, 03:55 AM)brothers Wrote: Penhaligon's and the other reformulated disasters are just foolish. It's apparently no big deal to make a veggie soap that lathers like a champ. And guess what --- it's really easy to buy too. Why not get a product that does work, instead of one that doesn't?

This is so true. I tried Pen's BB and it was utter crap.

(05-16-2012, 04:33 AM)Sully Wrote: Tallow isn't a magic ingredient but Pen's had what many consider to be one of the greatest shaving soaps ever made and they replaced it with junk.

That's right. Pen's screwed big time.
Too bad, because they've great scents.

4 313