06-22-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
A Frank Shaving knot,is a Pure Badger at 24mm
I bought him before a couple of months but i was careful not to put epoxy
I glue him temporary and i made a first swirling test.

[Image: 18696875db.jpg]

[Image: 18696874ad.jpg]

[Image: 18696876le.jpg]

I don't think that anybody would keep this knot
Frank Shaving has a problem with his knot lately,again and again proved to be defective
It's unacceptable for me to have this knot in my collection,i don't want to use him !

Confused

0 353
 06-22-2014, 09:20 AM
User Info
+1

I agreed the recent batch of FS knots are spoiled. I don't recommend to buy anything from him additionally populer Silvertip or finest brushes' prices are not so cheap.

0 58
 06-22-2014, 10:41 AM
User Info
I happened so many times,isn't a coincidence
In the past there was no problem from that brand,i have in my blog brushes from Frank Shaving with no problem but this is a knot-tragedy.
The prices are low but maybe are just to lure the customer
I have another one to test,if it's crap like all the others then i am done with this brand.

0 353
 08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
So, Doryferon, did you contact Ian Tang to get a refund?

4 447
 08-23-2014, 12:47 AM
User Info
It happened so many times and the policy is the customer to pay the shipping cost
That finally could be a disaster for me,so many failures and so many dollars to pay plus the one month waiting for the knot to come.
Imagine the scenario: i pay for knot,comes after a month,i see that is a crap
I send email,i get answer after 2 days,i go to the Post Office next day,i wait in line for long time,i pay for the shipping cost
I wait for the knot to arrive in China,i wait so FS send me mail that he is agree to send my another,i wait another month for the new knot
He comes and what a surprise ! It's worthless again,so what am i doing ?
Spend my whole precious time for a knot ?
As for the "refund", he agreed once for the cost of 2 knots but i would pay the shipping and whoa ! The shipping cost was higher than previous orders cost for the same kind of knots.
So you will make business again with him ?

The quality of the FS knot is getting lower and lower,i have bought from him all kind of knots,these are money not napkins to get waisted.
I speak what my experience and my pocket says
I am not an antagonist or relative with other brand,i write to forum what really happens lately with Frank Shaving knots.

0 353
 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM
User Info
well.. i believed it was discounted defective FS knots on eBay. Buyers beware.

24 698
 08-26-2014, 04:46 PM
  • Woodeks
  • Space coast, Florida
User Info
At least for me...... I don't believe the seller is selling the knots as defective. I believe he was saying the handles had imperfections of which I have 2. You could see *tiny* imperfections my handles finish, so small, that I would never have noticed them, if the seller (Ian Tang) had not of mentioned it. My knots, after 50+ uses, are still perfect.

These brushes were some of my first "higher end" badger brushes - even though they were "defects" and my first experiences knowing most (if not all) badger hair knots come from china.

One of the two, to this day is one of my favorite brushes. The other became too floppy for me, due to me favoring tighter knots. The one I still use today, I believe is a 2 band, not only because of the color variation, but it's firmness and soft tips (which may be due to my use). I can't get rid of it because it was such a surprise when I bought it, and because I still enjoy using it to this day (and only cost me $30).

10 104
 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
(08-26-2014, 04:46 PM)Woodeks Wrote: At least for me...... I don't believe the seller is selling the knots as defective. I believe he was saying the handles had imperfections of which I have 2. You could see *tiny* imperfections my handles finish, so small, that I would never have noticed them, if the seller (Ian Tang) had not of mentioned it.

I have something to show you
Here is a brush that Ian Tang sell to a Greek shaver,he didn't say anything that the knot had a problem !
Read the description from ebay:

Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items)

The brush arrived and my friend show that:

[Image: 19347571dk.jpg]

After the first shock he send email to the Ian-Tang,he complained for that problem,he asked why there was no inspection before shipping and asked for a refund.
Take a look what was the sellers answer:

For the misplaced loft brush, I can do $3 of partial refund. Some of my customers reset the hair knot by themselves. You can put it in a steamed pot for about 15 mins, then pull the hair knot our. Use some glue to stick it back again.

Thanks/Ian

Can you believe this ?
Can anyone here believe this ?
See the respect that some sellers show to the people, 3$ only
Not ever an apologise !
Who insured Ian-Tang that any traditional shaver can do repairs ?
Has anyone here had the same treatment from another store as Vie-Long,Semogue,E.Jagger,Omega,Muhle etc ?
If some sellers in China tell you to make repairs by your self in a brush imagine to buy from them a car.
In situations like this the buyer must do the proper moves:

[Image: flucht.gif] [Image: flucht1.gif]

0 353
 08-30-2014, 12:09 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I think you need to calm down and consider the source...it is China...it's nothing different than Simpsons brushes where they advertise a 45 mm loft and you get a 47 mm loft...do THEY give discounts or refunds? I've never gotten one and I've asked plenty of times...

In fact, I don't think ANY brush vendor would give a discount if the loft was off...there used to be a guy named Cooncat Bob who would but he passed away. I'd just chock it up to experience and buy from a more reputable brand or seller...

71 1,468
 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
With Simpsons, you can get the same model with 52mm and 46 mm lofts, depending on the unit... and everything in between...! 24

2 5,545
 08-30-2014, 02:54 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-30-2014, 02:14 PM)oversaturn Wrote: With Simpsons, you can get the same model with 52mm and 46 mm lofts, depending on the unit... and everything in between...! 24

I don't think this happens that much nowadays. At least I don't see people complaining on Forums that often as they used to.

26 4,895
 09-01-2014, 03:09 AM
User Info
Well, here's an example, currently selling at thesuperiorshave:

[Image: 57_0214_1.jpg]

2 5,545
 09-01-2014, 09:07 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
David is right...the difference is expected more now...

71 1,468
 09-03-2014, 12:41 AM
User Info
(08-30-2014, 12:09 PM)Crag Wrote: I think you need to calm down and consider the source...it is China...

I am cool,i am a customer of FS who gave him lot of dollars for some years maybe more than you
I have the right to speak and i say the facts.
I will buy from FS a handle or a Black Badger but nothing else !
Other brands are in China too,no complains for them
Think about that.

0 353
 09-03-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
Quite deceiving that photograph isn't it?

What I mean is, if you were to draw a horizontal line from the base of the brush furthest left to the brush pictured furthest right you'd encounter a difference of nearly 8mm.

As the specs read, there is actually only a 4.5mm difference between the knots (permissible tolerance in our hand-made products).

I've handled multiple brushes in the same model from other manufacturers and found 'huge' (if you consider +/- 5mm) variance in their specifications also.

The occurance is not Simpson specific. Just thought I'd clarify.

Mark

(09-01-2014, 03:09 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Well, here's an example, currently selling at thesuperiorshave:

[Image: 57_0214_1.jpg]

1 632
 09-03-2014, 08:28 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Right...what I meant to tell the OP was that all manufacturers have tolerances of + or - lots within their items... Simpsons hand-makes all their brushes from scratch, but even mfrs that machine make still have to put their "hands" on the product so variances occur... Buying direct from China is risky business as you NEVER know what exactly you are going to get...if they are that dissatisfied then perhaps they should stop buying from them.

Just like they have a right to complain, I have a right to point out Caveat Emptor, buyer beware...especially with goods from China.

71 1,468
 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Quote:As the specs read, there is actually only a 4.5mm difference between the knots (permissible tolerance in our hand-made products).
Really? It's your shop but I'd think one discussion could solve the problem but production might drop a little.

12 743
 09-03-2014, 04:09 PM
User Info
(08-30-2014, 12:09 PM)Crag Wrote: I think you need to calm down and consider the source...it is China...it's nothing different than Simpsons brushes where they advertise a 45 mm loft and you get a 47 mm loft...do THEY give discounts or refunds? I've never gotten one and I've asked plenty of times...

In fact, I don't think ANY brush vendor would give a discount if the loft was off...there used to be a guy named Cooncat Bob who would but he passed away. I'd just chock it up to experience and buy from a more reputable brand or seller...

I do not think there is a problem with the knot height rather than the knot being unevenly set into the handle.

0 14
 09-03-2014, 04:17 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Ah well that's a horse of a different color entirely...but that said I still think that people that buy from China are asking for trouble unless you have a relationship with a specific seller...and I will tell you that there are AT LEAST 5 individuals calling themselves Ian Tang on Ebay... and there are also more than one FSN Shaving Products in China....

71 1,468
 09-04-2014, 12:32 AM
User Info
(09-03-2014, 04:09 PM)edgard409 Wrote: I do not think there is a problem with the knot height rather than the knot being unevenly set into the handle.

Nobody said anything about height
The knot is like the Tower of Pisa (italy)
The sellers answer didn't surprise you ?

(09-03-2014, 04:17 PM)Crag Wrote: ...and I will tell you that there are AT LEAST 5 individuals calling themselves Ian Tang on Ebay... and there are also more than one FSN Shaving Products in China....

The customers are not detectives
If Frank Shaving as a company don't care to protect his reputation then more threads like this will show up
In the end the FS is going to lose money.

0 353