06-23-2014, 08:29 AM
User Info
Moderators, if this isn't the proper area for this feel free to move it without explanation.

Things like this always seem to happen when I'm pressed for time.

Today I woke up to an mail from PayPal that were issues with my account and that I should "click here" to log on and provide my proper address, SSN, All my bank accounts, Keys to my house, yada, yada. You get the picture. Just bend over and help the phishing scheme basically.

So not using the supplied "click here" I logged onto my acct and sure enough everything was fine.

I called PayPal to report it and the gent told me that these can be spotted by the lack of use of first and last name. However the one sent to me did use my correct first and last name. I was requested to forward the email to PayPals security center or whatever they call it.

Just be wary and don't load the robbers gun for them - don't be an accomplice in the demise of your own identity. Never click on anything requested unless you initiate the contact. Clicking on an email you receive is not initiating an action, it's responding to an action.

32 6,458
 06-23-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
I just had a fairly large sum snatched from my PayPal account and headed to MoneyGram. I clicked nothing so someone hacked my PayPal or email associated with it. Finally got the cash back and promptly moved it to my bank. Scary situation and all passwords for all internet activities were changed and I will do so on a much more regular basis now.

19 775
 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for the update, Brian. This type of nastiness is becoming all too common and sometimes, even with all of our caution, the bad guys still get to hack accounts. Angry

2 11,211
 06-23-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
Keep in mind that proper banks and other online payment providers wont ask for personal details in an email. If they do, find another provider post haste Wink

It is kinda funny; I used to get a lot of phising emails claiming to be from PayPal until I actually got a PayPal account - hardly had one since I got one.

3 4,481
 06-23-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
In addition to the danger sign of a request for personal or account information, these phishing emails frequently have grammar or spelling errors because for many of the hackers English is not their primary language.

207 12,258
 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM
User Info
If you think their grammar looks weird John, imagine how they look when bad English have gone through a Google translate to make horrible Norwegian... and people STILL fall for it Huh

3 4,481
 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM
User Info
a common way to avoid phishing scams is to look at the 'from' address. if it doesn't look like a valid e-mail address for the company supposedly e-mailing you, then delete it.

for example, if you get an e-mail that claims you need to login to your paypal account to verify your information is correct and it's coming from me@you.com, then it's obviously a phishing scam.

40 5,830
 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM
User Info
I get them all the time and never open up a link.

Send all suspicious emails claiming to be Paypal to

spoof@paypal.com

121 13,115
 06-23-2014, 03:36 PM
User Info
This phishing scam had a what looked to be valid Paypal address, good grammar and spelling, even my first and last name. But I didn't initiate it, so that made it suspect. I'd rather use my log in link than something supplied.

It really looked authentic. That's why Paypal wanted it. But my superficial particulars are not exactly hard to find on the 'net, anyone can google them and correlate the data found in the hits.

When I was "invisible" I only got the scams from the Prince of Nigeria or whatever it was. It's been awhile since that one.

32 6,458
 06-23-2014, 08:37 PM
User Info
Thanks for the warning, Brian! Smile

82 21,077
 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
User Info
(06-23-2014, 03:36 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: This phishing scam had a what looked to be valid Paypal address, good grammar and spelling, even my first and last name. But I didn't initiate it, so that made it suspect. I'd rather use my log in link than something supplied.

It really looked authentic. That's why Paypal wanted it. But my superficial particulars are not exactly hard to find on the 'net, anyone can google them and correlate the data found in the hits.

When I was "invisible" I only got the scams from the Prince of Nigeria or whatever it was. It's been awhile since that one.

can you share the e-mail address?

40 5,830
 06-26-2014, 02:11 AM
User Info
Here's. An idea why not forward. The email address. To any and all forums then we can all dive bomb the server all at one time. Maybe. That way those plebs will learn.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

0 1
 06-26-2014, 05:58 AM
User Info
(06-23-2014, 08:43 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 03:36 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: This phishing scam had a what looked to be valid Paypal address, good grammar and spelling, even my first and last name. But I didn't initiate it, so that made it suspect. I'd rather use my log in link than something supplied.

can you share the e-mail address?
I can't. I deleted it immediately after forwarding it to PayPal. But just quickly looking it over it was a paypal address. It looked good.

32 6,458
 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
User Info
I have an email account which is used exclusively for PayPal. Every PayPal "security alert" I have ever received has NEVER been sent to the only e-mail address registered with my PayPal account.

129 6,685
 06-30-2014, 02:23 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
A good hint here is: trust no e-mail whatsoever. Especially those informing of any problem. Dont fill in data from emails with an url to click.
Damn hackers,no cookies for you!
Sent from my RM-825_lta_brazil_222 using Tapatalk

4 447