06-23-2014, 12:37 PM
  • ThreeBs
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
User Info
So I got this ''Anti-Redness Normalizing Balm'' from ''La Roche-Posay'' a couple weeks ago from one of my friends who's beautician. She told me it was the best thing against redness and razor burn. So I gave it a try and after a couple of weeks of use I can tell you that I'll always have a bottle on hand.

Everytime I have a rough shave or when I can feel i'm going to get a bit of redness, I just use a little bit of this magic balm and Voilà ! No redness, no irritation, face feels smooth and hydrated. I don't know how this thing works, but it does its job amazingly well.

It saved me a couple of times. For example, I had to go to work so I shaved in the morning and I had a really, really bad shave. I had some nicks and cuts and my face was red as a cherry. I used this balm and a couple minutes later, almost all the irritation was gone. It did a fantastic job. Another thing that's great about this balm is that it's completely scentless. If I have an aftershave and no balm to match it, I just use this balm and nothing will clash with the aftershaves scent.

I would highly recommend it. It's always a good idea to have one of these on hand, just in case you need it. I don't really know where you can get it since I got it from a friend. It might be a little hard to find and I don't really know the price, it differs a lot from website to website. It's in my top three of AS balm, along with L'Occitane Balm and Synergy Balm.

[Image: 7Q4ZDs4.jpg]

25 147
 06-23-2014, 03:00 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
previous post deleted.....found the correct site, for anyone else trying to find this.

http://www.laroche-posay.com/products-tr...g-r43.aspx

on their own site pages in US and Canada, the previous searches didn't show this product.
3-B's....thanks for the info.

0 1,291
 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
User Info
I read some good things about Cool Fix by Shaveworks. It's available at Sephora stores, and there's one near me. I tried the tester and it felt nice, so I picked up a small bottle to start with. I'll report back when I've had occasion to use it in the heat of action.

8 915
 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM
User Info
Unrefined Shea Butter also works very well.

82 21,077
 07-11-2014, 04:24 PM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 04:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Unrefined Shea Butter also works very well.

Easily obtainable here in Brooklyn -- there are many African vendors, in stores and on the street. I have even seen whole shea nuts with the top cut off and the fresh butter inside!

8 915
 07-11-2014, 05:16 PM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 04:24 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: Easily obtainable here in Brooklyn -- there are many African vendors, in stores and on the street. I have even seen whole shea nuts with the top cut off and the fresh butter inside!

* Excellent, Rory! That would probably be even better! Good luck with it if you do try it. Just be mindful that it is a bit oily, initially, but it does get absorbed after a few minutes and a bit of rubbing/dispersing it after 15 minutes or so will aid with the absorption. Biggrin

82 21,077
 07-25-2014, 07:58 AM
User Info
Celestino, I thought of this discussion earlier today when I saw the Shea Moisture balm on the shelf in Target. It is readily available in other brick-and-mortar outlets too; I saw it in the Duane Reade drugstore.

I visited the website and there is a shaving line, part of the bigger Shea Moisture family. The company's roots go back to 1912 in Sierra Leone.

http://www.sheamoisture.com/Mens-Shave_c_131.html

At some point I am going to give this a try. The prices are not high at all.

8 915
 08-21-2014, 06:26 AM
User Info
I did pick up the Shea Moisture balm. Target had it on special for $6.79, so I figured why not.

I think the reviews on Amazon are accurate. It does not have alcohol, but it does have a number of interesting ingredients, among them willow bark extract (i.e., aspirin), tea tree oil, and witch hazel.

It's quite light and has a pleasant orange-y scent that does not linger. Despite the absence of alcohol, it does give a stinging sensation, but that dissipates quickly.

8 915
 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
Rory, I hope you get beneficial results from the shea butter balm. Smile

82 21,077
 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
(07-11-2014, 03:38 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: I read some good things about Cool Fix by Shaveworks. It's available at Sephora stores, and there's one near me. I tried the tester and it felt nice, so I picked up a small bottle to start with. I'll report back when I've had occasion to use it in the heat of action.

This worked well for me, when I have redness. I usually don't (spoken in my Most Interesting Man in the World voice), but when I do, I might apply some of this and it calms it down considerably. I got a couple of free samples at Sephora, so if you have one nearby, that's a no-cost way to test it out.

84 1,505
 08-21-2014, 06:12 PM
User Info
I found the Cool Fix to be quite effective at calming irritation (which I've been suffering less since the initial days). It has quite a penetrating aroma, though. After using it, I forgot to wash my hands, peeled a peach -- and could taste it on the fruit. Pleasant on the face, not so much on the tongue.

8 915
 08-23-2014, 04:36 AM
User Info
(08-21-2014, 10:59 AM)celestino Wrote: Rory, I hope you get beneficial results from the shea butter balm. Smile

I am liking this product. It has supplanted the now-benched alum block. Now I'm not using other things like Cool Fix to counter what the block induced.

8 915
 08-23-2014, 04:57 AM
User Info
Penhaligons ASB,,... Best Ever

1 628