05-15-2012, 10:15 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My Manchurian musings...

I intend for this to be an evolving collection of my thoughts on Simpsons New Manchurian offering and will likely add and possibly change my thoughts as I spend more time with these brushes.

Before reading further it's important to note that brush manufactures have NO agreed standardisation for grading hair. While there are similarities in terms used among manufactures it often does not equate to a comparable grade of hair which can lead to much confusion. The majority of comparisons I've undertaken in this discussion relate to Simpsons and their classification of hair. If I refer to another manufactures hair I will be very clear in pointing this out in an effort to avoid misleading or erroneous assumptions to be made on the basis of my thoughts.

Manchurian seems to have the qualities that many shavers look for, but in deliberately measured doses. I've heard the hair referred to as "JUST RIGHT" and although uninspiring as a phrase it does seem to capture the performance of this hair...

Take sensation on the face as an example. The tips are soft (and seem to soften further with use). But there is scritch. What's scrItch? Well, it's NOT scratch. Simpsons PURE I would describe as scratchy on the face. It's coarser and rougher providing scratch, a sensation I don't enjoy on my face. Scritch is more of an enjoyable sensation, it doesn't feel abrasive on the face, but feels stimulating. I believe that scritch is aligned with the strength of the individual hairs. The sensation comes from from the hair pushing against the skin, rather than scratching away at it. I suspect that under microscope the tips of PURE hairs might appear much rougher than higher grade hairs that I suspect might have a softer almost "finished" looking end. A knot with the ends trimmed feels very scratchy. I'm not suggesting that someone has sanded the end of each piece of hair as you would a piece of wood to take off the rough end after cutting, but that seems to be a fairly good analogy for trying to describe the difference. I'm defining scritch as scrub without scratch.

So back to being "Just right"... It's soft, but any softer would be too soft. It's scrubby, but any scrubbier would be too scrubby. It's dense, but any denser would be too dense.

It's the "Goldilocks" of hairs in that it seems to be "Just right!"

Now I can't claim that term as my own, Manchurian has already been described by others this way and I wholeheartedly agree.

Manchurian can be best understood as a hybrid of the best qualities of 2 Band and 3 Band Super. It has good density, good backbone, produces and releases lather easily. It's scritchy like 2 Band, but has soft tips like 3 Band. It blooms less than 3 Band, but more than 2 Band. It's less dense than 3 Band and has better flow through.

In summary it picks up soap well, retains water well, produces lather well and releases it well too. It's a great all rounder. My only criticism is that it's too expensive. The differences are there, but not necessarily directly proportional to the extra investment.

[attachment=2097]

Manchurian vs Best:
More backbone than Best.
More scrub than Best.
Retains water better than Best.
Picks up soap better than Best.
Releases lather better than Best.
Less dense than Best.

Manchurian vs Super (3 Band):
More backbone than 3 Band Super.
Less bloom than 3 Band Super.
Releases lather better than 3 Band.

Manchurian vs 2 Band:
Less scritch than 2 Band.
Similar backbone.
More bloom than 2 Band.

Manchurian vs LE Silvertip (as in GYLE):
Not as soft as LE Silvertip.
More scratch than LE Silvertip.

Manchurian vs Rooney Finest:
Less scritch than Rooney Finest.

Manchurian vs Plisson High Mountain White (HMW):
More dense than HMW.

91 17,857
 05-15-2012, 10:34 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very well stated Ben. Unfortunately, they are all above my pay grade. Like I said in an earlier post, if the tree in my backyard would start growing money, I would go to the Simpsons website, click on the Limited Edition page, and order one of everything. The only Simpsons brushes I've owned all had Best Badger hair and I thought they were excellent. I still have two Wee Scot brushes in Best Badger and they are great little performers.

173 23,547
 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
In my opinion the Simpsons Best offering, is their Best offering.

91 17,857
 05-15-2012, 10:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Oh boy,this is what I wanted to read!Thanks a lot,Ben!
So,the Manchurian badger has the same good qualities than super badger ( 2 and 3 band) hair,really interesting.I have tried Simpson super badger hair 2 band and I found it to be an excellent kind of badger brush,but Im still thinking (as you do too) that Simpson best badger is maybe the best badger hair type out there price/quality.
If you would have to make a ranking with this kind of hair and the Rooney finest and the Plisson HWM,which one would be the first,the second and the third?What about compare it with the Morris and Forndran blonde badger hair?

86 7,123
 05-15-2012, 11:03 PM
User Info
That is a very interesting comparison between the several types of hair that Simpson has, and the HMW as well. Thank you for sharing it, along with your incredible photos!

2 5,532
 05-15-2012, 11:05 PM
User Info
Thanks for posting that Ben. It's quite interesting.

I used to be a best fan but have now switched over to 2 band super as I prefer the increased scrub and less scritch compared to best.

7 1,179
 05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I plan on doing some side by side comparisons (with pictures) within the Simpsons range and with other manufacturers, specifically Rooney Finest and Plisson HMW. May take a little time though, so please be patient with me...

91 17,857
 05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(05-15-2012, 10:41 PM)ben74 Wrote: In my opinion the Simpsons Best offering, is their Best offering.

Coming from you, I am now convinced I need a Simpsons Best in my possession asap.

35 1,732
 05-15-2012, 11:47 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:45 PM)Tonality Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 10:41 PM)ben74 Wrote: In my opinion the Simpsons Best offering, is their Best offering.

Coming from you, I am now convinced I need a Simpsons Best in my possession asap.

Don't know what size brush you like but I can highly recommend a Duke 2 or a 57.

173 23,547
 05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:36 PM)ben74 Wrote: I plan on doing some side by side comparisons (with pictures) within the Simpsons range and with other manufacturers, specifically Rooney Finest and Plisson HMW. May take a little time though, so please be patient with me...

Thanks Ben,I truly appreciate it.Biggrin

86 7,123
 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-15-2012, 11:47 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 11:45 PM)Tonality Wrote:

Don't know what size brush you like but I can highly recommend a Duke 2 or a 57.

I second that recommendation, Duke 2 (or 3 if you like it a little bigger, like I do) or 57 (the benefit of the fifty series is a slightly longer handle giving you the ability to bowl lather with ease as well as face lathering).

91 17,857
 05-16-2012, 03:12 AM
User Info
Great post!

Reminds me I'll have to try my new Simpsons M7 MB a bit more - I am on a synthetics streak, so badgers and boars have very little face time nowadays.

0 641
 05-16-2012, 04:54 AM
User Info
Excellent comparison Ben. Like Johnny, the only Simpson I have is in the Best range, a Commodore X2. I really like the feel of it, I just wish it hadn't bloomed quite as much as it did. You know, it's been too long since I've used it. Well I now know what I'm using tomorrow morning!

31 7,914
 05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-16-2012, 04:54 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Excellent comparison Ben. Like Johnny, the only Simpson I have is in the Best range, a Commodore X2. I really like the feel of it, I just wish it hadn't bloomed quite as much as it did. You know, it's been too long since I've used it. Well I now know what I'm using tomorrow morning!

The Best does bloom more than the 2 Band Super.

You must let us know if you enjoy the reunion!

91 17,857
 05-16-2012, 05:35 AM
User Info
I've tried a lot of Simpsons brushes - in Best, regular Super, 2-band Super and one brush in Manchurian.

The first caveat is that the only brush I've tried in Manchurian is the Pearlescent, which seems to have a higher loft:width ratio than the others.

That said, I think the Manchurian Pearlescent is an extremely good brush. I'd agree with everything Ben says, really. It is just right.....not so much a Goldilocks brush as a 'Baby Bear' brush. Biggrin

However, like Ben said - the cost is too high. I have a feeling that they could pretty much mimic the Manchurian hair by mixing Best and Super, and that would probably be at a lower price point.

If you have the money, you should get one. It's not worth the price to me, but it is different and it is good.

Basically, when it comes to really high-end brushes you always have to balance the cost and benefit. A $300 brush will perform better than a $75 brush, but not in proportion to the price difference. That's pretty much a fact of life. A lot of people are not going to find these high-end brushes to be worth the premium, and some people will like having them. It's a personal choice.

Back to the Manchurian - I like my Simpsons 2-band brushes better, and it certainly doesn't match up to my Plisson HMW. In fact, it is only slightly better in feel than my SOC badger, and it doesn't outperform it.

The question you have to ask yourself is: is that slight improvement in feel worth the price difference. Your answer will determine if you should buy one.

-----------

Just as a baseline - my tastes run towards a mite of scritch at the tips, and nice backbone...without loss of flowthrough.

So, my Rooney Finest's lost out, because they were so dense that they suffered on the flowthrough. The Rooney Heritage XL series lost out because of the lack of scritch (way too soft) and flowthrough. I like Simpsons 2-band because they have most of the positives I like without too much of a loss in flowthrough. The Manchurian Pearlescent has nice backbone and excellent flowthrough....just a bit more scritch than I like. It's pretty close to the SOC badger.

37 1,731
 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Yohann.

The strongest and most discernible difference with Manchurian in comparison to it's closest hair grades from Simpsons is flow through. However, IMO the Plisson HMW, still outperforms it in this category.

The Duke 3 Manchurian is my most used brush from this range and I'm finding it is softening with further use, so in terms of scritch, it may be worth persevering Yohann. Rooney Finest in contrast is scritchier and maintains it.

The improvements (for want of a better term) with Manchurian are undeniably present, but they are not quantum leaps. For those in pursuit of the unobtainable - perfection, the differences are certainly justifiable. For the majority, it may be challenging to achieve a sense of value for money.

Bottom line Simpsons already have a great product. It's difficult to improve on greatness and anything north of that you are going to have to be prepared to pay handsomely for.

Manchurian is most likely, current production wise, Simpsons greatest achievement, but their are many great Simpsons brush to be had and at a fraction of the price.

91 17,857
 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Thanks for the interesting read everyone. The cost of the brushes are prohibitive to me but it's great to see the details of the hair and it's properties.

0 353
 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
User Info
Ben, thanks for taking the initiative. How's the Manchurian scrub factor compared to their Super 3-band? I'd love to see a direct comparison between the Manchurian and the Blonde hair.

2 180
 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-16-2012, 08:44 AM)edgerunner Wrote: Ben, thanks for taking the initiative. How's the Manchurian scrub factor compared to their Super 3-band? I'd love to see a direct comparison between the Manchurian and the Blonde hair.

I plan to do some comparison of the sort soon.

But in the interim, the Manchurian has more scritch and better flow through than both the Simpsons 3 band Super and the M&F 2 band Blonde. (My M&F blondes are from predominately last year and there seems to be some difference with current offerings).

91 17,857
 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The more I read this thread,the more I want a Simpson Manchurian Badger brush....time to rob a bank,I think...24 Im sure that one of these days,Im gonna get one...

86 7,123