06-24-2014, 04:21 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I have been doing research on a pen purchase and have decided on the Lamy 2000, I love the looks and functionality.
But I'm not sure whether I want a fine or extra fine nib. I have a pelikan m215 with a medium and I'd like to get something finer, but not too fine or scratchy. I've done a little digging and apparently the Lamy 2000 nibs are a little fatter than even the pelikan nibs. Anyway thought I'd ask here if anyone has an opinion.

Also I've enjoyed browsing the fountain pen thread above.

17 447
 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I don't have a Lamy 2000, only a Lamy Vista. Usually, the finer the nib the scratchier it is. Sometimes a fine will give the line you want without the scratchiness that an extra fine might produce. That being said, Lamy nibs tend to run thicker than Japanese nibs so an extra fine might work for you.

2 11,211
 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
If I bought another Lamy, I'd definitely go with an EF. I have a Medium Safari and it is by far the wettest, fattest writing pen I own. I have to be very careful when and if I use it in my ink choices. I need something that dries super fast for that pen. Don't know, never tried, but the folks at Goulet might be able to give you a rundown on the 2000. Those folks have so much fountain pen knowledge its silly.

You might have already seen this, but I'm gonna post it here anyway.

It's also a couple of years old, but he talks about the nib seeming to run closer to a true EF, then the other Lamy nibs he's tried before. Of course now his experience may be much more extensive....

http://www.inknouveau.com/2011/06/lamy-2...ssion.html

Video contained in the link:

18 1,186
 06-25-2014, 02:23 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
The 2000 nibs do tend to write a little wider than stated width, but I think that is caused more by their flow. All the 2000s I've owned and handled were wetter than any of the Pelikans I've had.

Sent on the go

2 286
 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM
  • Lando
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Thanks for the comments! I overcame my indecision and ordered the EF today. I went with Amazon since they had the cheapest price i could find, but wondering whether I should have purchased from goulet (significant price difference though). Anyway, I'm quite excited to get this pen, as it appears to check all the boxes for me.

17 447
 06-25-2014, 08:00 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Awesome Bill. Be sure and let us know what you think about it. Pics and writing samples are always fun to look at too...LOL...

Congrats on the new pen purchase..

18 1,186
 06-26-2014, 09:20 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(06-25-2014, 08:00 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Awesome Bill. Be sure and let us know what you think about it. Pics and writing samples are always fun to look at too...LOL...

Congrats on the new pen purchase..

Signs011 Clinton said it best. Biggrin

2 11,211
 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM
  • Lando
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Ugh

I was out of town last week so just picked up my FP today.

I bought my Lamy 2000 supposedly new (fulfilled by Amazon), but the pen I received was obviously used, there was a ton of black ink it was leaking, there was scribbling on the warranty leaflet. I am sending it back today. So disappointed, I've not had this problem with Amazon before (or any order 'fulfilled by Amazon').

I did take the opportunity to examine the pen and write a few words. For what I was expecting from an EF, the line is fairly juicy. And the nib felt very smooth. The pen body is nice and fat in the hand, the fit is finish is as good as advertised.

I'll probably end up ordering another from Goulet before the day is done. Maybe should have done that from the beginning (but there is a 35 dollar price difference).

17 447