06-26-2014, 12:42 AM
User Info
This is sad. Sad Due to the complex bureaucracy and requirements in the EU, the artisan producer Fitjar Soaps, from Norway, will stop production:

http://www.anpdm.com/newsletterweb/424A5...454A514371

It is sad to see a good artisan with fine products cease production, particularly for reasons like that...

2 5,548
 06-26-2014, 01:28 AM
User Info
I thought I posted this yesterday here but I guess I messed up and didn't click post. Yeah, it is a shame. They were on my list of soaps to try. I'm hearing her creams were where it was at, not so much on the soaps.

They're still available at Executive Shaving and her website is back up (it was down yesterday when i got the newsletter).

Quote:To my dear customers

The time has come for change. After careful consideration, I have made a decision to discontinue Fitjar Soap.

The reason for this decision is that during the last year there are new requirements for marketing and sale of cosmetics, in Norway and EU. For my small business these demands have serious consequences, so that I no longer consider it appropriate to continue operations.

This occurs in a year in which:
1 The sales are better than ever
2 Feedback from my dear customers is overwhelmingly positive at home and abroad
3 The company's finances are solid. (I have had good results every year since I started, and record results in 2013)

Nevertheless, the situation is such that the new cosmetics legislation involves comprehensive bureaucratic requirements, so there is no longer an economic basis for continued operation. I have a total of about 120 self-made products and the EU regulations require extensive documentation and analysis of each product in order to market and sell it. I have therefore decided to close down the operation of Fitjar Soap and find other activities on which I will spend my energy.

Obviously, this is sad, especially considering my dear customers. But I'm working on getting other ( larger players ) to take over, particularly the shaving products . At present it is uncertain what the solution will be, but I hope this will be resolved so that Fitjar Soap shaving products can live on under other management. As of now, I have some of all the products on shelf, and these remaining products on shelf will be sold while supplies last.

0 84
 06-26-2014, 01:32 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Sad news indeed.

99 18,011
 06-26-2014, 06:07 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
My grandfather immigrated from Norway at 14, and I'v always been proud to use a few of her Norwegian products. I guess I'll just have to use my Srcrupleworks strop more frequently.

38 5,198
 06-26-2014, 06:22 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Normally, I commend the EU for their forward thinking and many of their laws and systems...healthcare or the ban on declawing felines for instance, they're light years ahead of the barbaric systems we have in the US. However, I never understood the cosmetic restrictions in the EU. The restrictions/bans on ingredients like Oakmoss, for instance, which completely change beloved products, some of which have been around for hundreds of years. If you're allergic to a fragrance/cosmetic, don't use it...it's fairly simple. I just don't get the wide sweeping need for a "nanny-patrol." Huh

31 1,510
 06-26-2014, 06:31 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(06-26-2014, 01:28 AM)newkie Wrote: I thought I posted this yesterday here but I guess I messed up and didn't click post.

You actually did, it was posted here. Wink

26 4,953
 06-26-2014, 09:13 AM
User Info
I just started getting into the US made artisan soaps. Does this mean that the smaller sized European shops are going to be regulated out of existence?

1 13
 06-27-2014, 07:06 PM
User Info
I bought a couple of their creams......

They gave me my first reaction to a cream - and the lather was so so.......on the other hand the price was high Wink

I hope the best for Fitjar, but I will not repruchase Fitjar products again.

Their Folgefoon had a great mint scent, but performance was so so.....

24 6,019
 06-27-2014, 08:00 PM
User Info
Sadest part is, they are not even in the EU. I've been meaning to try this soap for ages, so I just ordered the Norwegian Fern while it's still available.

129 6,685
 06-28-2014, 01:56 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(06-26-2014, 12:42 AM)oversaturn Wrote: This is sad. Sad Due to the complex bureaucracy and requirements in the EU, the artisan producer Fitjar Soaps, from Norway, will stop production:

It is sad to see a good artisan with fine products cease production, particularly for reasons like that...

I don't believe a single word. First, Norway is not part of the EU. Second, all other artisan soap manufacturers within the EU are able to cope with this regulations. Third, this EU regulation came into effect last year on July 11. A little bit late to start whining now. And fourth, there are valid reasons for the regulations. Even if some manufacturers don't like them.

0 232
 06-28-2014, 03:09 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(06-28-2014, 01:56 AM)Elbe Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 12:42 AM)oversaturn Wrote: This is sad. Sad Due to the complex bureaucracy and requirements in the EU, the artisan producer Fitjar Soaps, from Norway, will stop production:

I don't believe a single word. First, Norway is not part of the EU. Second, all other artisan soap manufacturers within the EU are able to cope with this regulations. Third, this EU regulation came into effect last year on July 11. A little bit late to start whining now. And fourth, there are valid reasons for the regulations. Even if some manufacturers don't like them.

Ja, Du hast rechts Martin.

3 2,638
 06-28-2014, 07:20 AM
User Info

Norway is not part of the EU, but we are part of the EEA, meaning that most rules and regulations that apply inside the EU also applies to us (as well as to Iceland and Lichtenstein) - although they usually takes longer to become effective. It's part of the trade off that gives us free access to the inner market.

It sucks, but until the politicians renegotiates the agreement we have to deal with it.

3 4,675
 06-28-2014, 12:44 PM
User Info
Instead of dropping out entirely. Why doesn't she just continue to market her top 10 or 15 products and then expand as time and/or finances allow. Seems like a strong reaction to just fold your business when your market is growing

3 742
 06-28-2014, 12:49 PM
User Info
I don't understand why a ton of paperwork would be required for soaps of 6 or 8 scents. Aside from the fragrance oils everything else is the same. You'd think it'd be the same testing, just redone for every scent. It can't be that hard. Does she not own a computer or have a lawyer on retainer? Once done, it should be done for a long time. It does seem like a cop out.

129 6,685
 06-28-2014, 12:59 PM
User Info
Some folks don't see that working to appease a bureaucracy to be worth the aggravation and expense. Our bureaucracy here in the US almost did me in before I ever really got going. But that's what big government does to little guys. We don't have the $ and time to fight them or comply.

I feel for her.

32 6,470
 07-03-2014, 03:59 PM
User Info
Let's keep to the topic of Fitjar and leave US politics out of this as it has nothing to do with this at all.

129 6,685
 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
OK, so all this talk about Fitjar shutting down made me go out and order some product. I ordered Bregneskog (Norwegian Fern) soap in a bowl and the shave cream as well, I also ordered Villmann - Wild Thing soap bowl with lid.

Apparently although the website showed both soaps in stock, they were out of stock so Jorunn changed my order without contacting me and sent the Fern cream and this horrid smelling Miklagard soap. Neither of the soaps ordered were sent. I got a note written with hearts drawn on it stating that she hoped it was OK.

This is how businesses go under. It's not having to fill out forms to comply with regulations. Jabonman manages to do it as do other wonderful European artisan soap makers. Having zero business skill is how businesses go under. How much time would it have actually taken to send me an e-mail stating she was out of the two scents I ordered and letting me know what was available and what did I want to do? Two minutes if that? That would have left a far better taste in my mouth than a note saying "this is what you ordered, but this is what I have".

I now have zero care that she is closing up shop.

129 6,685
 07-09-2014, 11:25 AM
User Info
Ouch! That does suck. I hope you emailed her and gave her a chance to respond before posting here.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

0 84
 07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
User Info

maybe the maker just doesn't want to play politics and be a soap maker at the same time.

I could see that as a totally valid reason for not wanting to continue on.

40 5,830
 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 11:25 AM)newkie Wrote: Ouch! That does suck. I hope you emailed her and gave her a chance to respond before posting here.

No response to the e-mail, but it is late there. Whatever the outcome, I see nothing improper about posting the results of the sale. There was zero communication between us when she realized she was out of ordered product. There were other scents I would much rather have had. I may have even agreed to go with the suggested items in place of what was ordered, but that needs to be the customer's call not the vendor's call.

This wasn't an honest shipping mistake, those happen. I had one recently with one of our sponsoring vendors. The wrong scent was shipped for an item, I liked the incorrect scent just fine, and just shot an e-mail back to the vendor letting them know the wrong item shipped but all was OK. That is an error. Randomly picking a new scent for me and inserting a note that said she hopes this is OK with me, is not an error. Once again, how hard is it to e-mail the buyer and admit to overselling your in stock supply and offering options?

129 6,685