06-26-2014, 07:47 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
So SWMBO had to travel to France for work. I was planning to ask her to pick up a Plisson synthetic for me but her schedule was unforgiving so I decided against it.

Today she sends me a rather unexpected picture.

[Image: NwY9eGV.jpg]

From what I've read, this is a Russian blade but I can't wait to try it out.

Oh yeah, she told me she got me "enough to last a while."

Sent on the go

2 286
 07-29-2014, 01:11 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Apologies for the length of time between the OP and this followup. A few new razors arrived and I wanted to learn them with my usual blades before offering an opinion on this Gillette. I would have used my usual Mühle 89 but I sent that out to a leather craftsman to have a travel case made.

Anyway, I've had the chance to shave with this blade and Gillette Silver Blue in two razors. These are a Fat Canadian Tech and a '56 Red Tip. I chose the Silver Blue as a comparison since I have read that these two blades behave similarly and may actually be the same blade but with different markings.
In the Tech, no differences were felt. Each offered a smooth and efficient shave.

The Red Tip revealed distinctions. The Silver Blue felt slightly sharper but less smooth than the French market blade. This was most apparent on the XTG and ATG passes. It wasn't rough, mind you. It really is like splitting hairs between the differences of silk and glass.

The Bleue Extra may have felt less sharp but that extra degree of smoothness was amazing. I'm supposing that some folks might take this to mean that Bleue Extra might be closer to Polsilver in behavior. I just received my Polsilvers and have not shaved with them so I cannot confirm that just yet.

Is it worth getting these blades? If you or a friend are vacationing in France, certainly. If you're ordering from Europe and shipping costs make the blade more expensive than premium blades that you can get from a US vendor, I'd say you might be getting marginal differences for the trouble you go through.

(Soap used for the tests was PdP. Brushes were Vie-Long 13071B white horse, Semogue 2013 select silvertip and Simpsons Best Duke 2.)

2 286
 07-29-2014, 03:35 AM
User Info
These blades seem to look similar to Gillette Silver Blues which are also made in Russia. They are one of my favorite blades. Smooth and fairly sharp.

121 13,115
 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
This is one of the best blades still available. Good choice, you were lucky.

0 112
 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(08-28-2014, 02:00 PM)infabo Wrote: This is one of the best blades still available. Good choice, you were lucky.
That I am! Luckily, she finds reason to visit France once a year or once every two. I should still be able to get some once I run out. (unless Gillette says otherwise.)

2 286
 08-29-2014, 08:30 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the success with the blades, Karlo! Smile

83 21,077
 08-31-2014, 03:14 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Thanks Celestino! I think I actually have all the blades I need, given what I prefer. My latest preoccupation has been brushes and I think I've cracked the code there as well. My pen friends like to refer to a state called "inner peace" and I think I'm almost there. Wouldn't have come this far without the help of the Nookers.

2 286