06-28-2014, 08:50 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've been using Cade for the better part of this year with a few brief breaks to try other soaps like MWF and Proraso. It's the only soap I can get here and if I couldn't order soaps from CONUS anymore, I wouldn't fret.

In my last Bullgoose order, I decided to get a few pucks of PdP. I know other French soaps like PS and IK are also popular but a lot of reviews say that these two soaps are similar in performance, but not scent. When I finally consumed my puck of Cade the other day, I figured I would run with PdP rather than open a fresh puck of L'Occitane. Here's what I have observed thus far.

Scent:

PdP has a more floral and powdery scent vs Cade's juniper notes. It's not a bad scent but you might not like it if you prefer something more woody.

The scent intensifies as you build a lather but by the time you have the stuff on your face, it seems to mellow down a bit. Either that or your sense of smell gets used to it.

Lathering:

I find it likes a bit more water than Cade. I used a Semogue 2013 and shook the water out before loading. 60 second load using just the tips to pick up soap. It asked for quite a few dips of the tips before it gave me a lather I liked.

I tried the Marco method for my next shave and it responded better, but didn't really save me any time. Same great results, just a different route from point A to point B.

Cushion is better than Cade as it builds a thicker lather but slickness is about the same.

Post shave:

I find PdP to be better. Cade doesn't dry my skin but doesn't really moisturize it either. PdP gives me a softer skin feel after the shave. Not MWF soft but not very far from it either.

Price:

Landed price of PdP is slightly higher than what I pay for Cade here. Where it might claim an advantage is in longevity. I have only used this twice but I feel the soap to be harder than Cade and may last longer.

With Cade, I can feel my brushes pick up more of the soap and dig deeper into the puck with every shave. So much so that I only get about 6 weeks per puck. This one feels firm yet gives me ample lather to work with. If this lasts me at least 8 to 10 weeks, it will be worth getting on a regular basis.

I still like Cade and in fact have 4 pucks in stock. I will be sure though to pick up another puck or two of PdP when I make my Fall order from Bullgoose.

2 286
 06-29-2014, 10:51 AM
User Info
I am really enjoying pdp right now it's my go to soap at the moment, I whole heartedly agree with your assessment the smell is wonderful and provides a thick and also slick lather. It will stay in my rotation until something else can dethrone it. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 07-16-2014, 11:18 PM
User Info
If I could pick a top 5, PDP would definitely be in it. Amazing stuff.

0 65
 07-16-2014, 11:31 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Shea Butter in PdP no doubt provides the improved cushion and skin care that you noted.

99 18,011
 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree with your assessment. You should also try their after shave balm.

175 23,752
 07-17-2014, 12:56 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've noticed that this soap is really quite hard. I've used it a fair bit and only wore out the stamped surface yesterday. I also failed to note that Cade comes in 100 gram pucks while PdP weighs in at 150. Since it's only about a dollar more in price, it is a compelling value proposition. From what I'm seeing, this could very well become the soap I order regularly from CONUS, with Cade becoming my default locally sourced product.

2 286
 07-17-2014, 05:20 AM
User Info
I love the smell of PdP but it's one of the few soaps I've ever parted ways with because the lathers were a little unimpressive. I gave it to a friend and he loves it. There's potential that maybe it was a difference in our water supplies but I have enough soaps to last me 10 or so lifetimes so I settled on using the PdP body soaps for the scent and other soaps for shaving.

I have a second container that I never broke the seal on somewhere around here. Maybe I'll give it a shot with some bottled water some day.

0 223
 07-17-2014, 06:47 AM
User Info
Provence Sante is another French hard milled soap that has shea butter and performs similar to PdP. The green tea scented soap can be purchased at drugstore.com for $7/3.5 ounces.

I use MWF, PdP, and Provence Sante in rotation in the winter. None of those soaps dry my skin in the dry winter months.

0 53
 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM
User Info
I really like PdP. It is one of the Luxury Barber's best sellers. I think everyone in the office is using it.

As agreed, it is really hard to lather up, but I use an horse hair brush with it.

0 34
 09-24-2014, 02:46 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I thought I'd post a follow up after getting to the bottom of my first PdP puck.

I've not really covered the soap since I first cracked it open. I noticed that the performance of the soap shifted drastically as I reached the last fifth or so of the puck. Scent has also died down tremendously.

Latherability remained easy but quality of lather was not as it was. It appears to have diminished in cushion and glide, and tended to dry my skin a little. The lather is noticeably thinner. Release of lather from the brushes was not as good as before. And this is with clean brushes.

Good shaves could still be had but the reduction in performance was quite visible.

I suppose I may have gotten different long term results had I covered the puck. Or maybe the results would have stayed the same. It is also possible that a smaller puck (100 grams +/- vs the 150 gram size) might have mitigated the degradation somewhat as I would have consumed the soap quicker.

I still have a sealed puck in stock but I will likely PIF that to a friend to insure it gets used soon. SWMBO arrives with a brick of Cella in a few days and that will take a bit of time to consume.

2 286
 09-24-2014, 03:51 AM
User Info
Of all the good French soaps that I've tried (I'm not considering duds like Lothantique or Durance), I considered the PdP the most unimpressive one. The lather is somewhat thinner when compared to other soaps, and while it can still deliver a good shave, it doesn't give me that sense of security, or that cushioned, think and dense lather that I can easily obtain from other soaps. Perfectly usable, but not impressive. Good, but not great.

Just for the record, the list of French shaving soaps that I've tried includes Monsavon, Institut Karité, Provence Santé (Verlaine & Green Tea varieties), L'Occitane Cade, Martin de Candre, Savon des Volcans, Le Comptoir des Savonniers, Le Père Lucien, OSMA, Savon du Midi, Pré de Provence and the two duds above.

2 5,545
 09-24-2014, 05:19 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Thanks for the rundown oversaturn! So far I've only tried PdP and Cade. Hope to eventually try LPL and MdC.

2 286
 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(07-17-2014, 12:11 AM)Johnny Wrote: I agree with your assessment. You should also try their after shave balm.
+1. I enjoy the balm quite a bit, and surprisingly it pairs well with many different soaps.

34 1,628
 09-24-2014, 07:56 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
PdP is on my top list of non-tallow soaps. It is one of the best soaps, for me, tallow or not. It and Crabtree & Evelyn are on the top in non-tallow category along with much pricier ones like MDC. I absolutely love it and hope to try Cade soon. If it is anywhere near as good as PdP I'd be very happy. And the price! Talk about bang for your buck!

7 2,281
 09-24-2014, 12:56 PM
User Info
Excellent line, especially their after shave balm, as Johnny mentioned.

1 1,975
 09-24-2014, 07:42 PM
User Info
I always loved the scent of this thing! Does it require VERY heavy loading for good lather and then needs adequate amount of water to moisturize?

79 1,296
 09-24-2014, 08:50 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(09-24-2014, 07:42 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I always loved the scent of this thing! Does it require VERY heavy loading for good lather and then needs adequate amount of water to moisturize?
Early in the puck, it didn't require heavy loading. It was a bit thirsty compared to Cade and Proraso. Can't recall if MWF liked the same amount of water as PdP.

It was only much later in the puck that even a minute of loading provided merely acceptable lather and below the expected level of postshave skin feel.

Maybe storing it in a sealed container between shaves might preserve its initially impressive performance.

2 286
 09-27-2014, 08:38 AM
User Info
I use the PdP shaving soap, AS balm, and sage bath bar soap on a regular basis. Scents match perfectly. I guess the only complaint is that I wished the label on the shaving soap tin was waterproof, but a little clear packing tape or Krylon Protect-It spray fixes that problem.

13 107
 09-27-2014, 06:35 PM
User Info
I have a tin of the soap and have never really cared for it. I find the scent to be just sort of "meh" and the lather isn't dense enough or cushiony enough for me to really love it. I'm not sure I'll be keeping it around. Undecided

5 407
 09-27-2014, 08:53 PM
User Info
I too really love the smell of PdP. I wished they had a AS splash to go along with it. It is a very original scent, nothing else smells like it.

2 805