06-30-2014, 11:26 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
In mid-May, I went to visit my friend who lives in the suburbs of Buffalo, New York. The only camera I had was on my new cell phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5. While they still have a little bit to go to catch up with a decent point and shoot (low light situations being one problem), I was amazed at both the photo and video quality I got on several pictures. Keep in mind that unlike so many of you, I know nothing about composing or taking really good photos or videos and all of these are literally point and shoot. I have not figured out the editing tools on the phone but was pretty pleased with these. Unfortunately, transferring these from my iPhotos library to here seems to have lessened the quality, a problem I also have with my SOTD photos. Please let me know where I could have done something to improve the photos/video. Thanks. Smile

[Image: 2DhqkL5.jpg] [Image: tSbkHnH.jpg]
(left) Pano's Restaurant, Elwood Village, Buffalo, New York
(right) Vidlers Five & Dime, East Aurora, New York

[Image: sedUqPR.jpg] [Image: yEXnqjK.jpg]
(left) Akron Falls in Akron Falls County Park, Akron, New York
(right) Murder Creek in Akron Falls County Park, Akron, New York

This looks better when run on full screen and I apologize for my shaky hand.

2 11,211
 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Cell phone cameras DO came a long way, and thats from a guy who has a Canon Rebel xsi, altough not nearly as skilled as Celestino is.

4 447
 06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
User Info
indeed, Freddy.

also note, your samsung s5 can shoot videos in 4k!

40 5,830
 06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
User Info
They come a very long way indeed, yet still too many people use them to make horrible selfies and pictures of their food to upload on instagram... clearly there need to be a filter in the software to stop that Wink

I have more-or-less stopped carrying my point-and-shoot camera unless I know I'll end up taking photos. My cellphone handles most of the 'neat thing, lets snap a pic to help remember' moments.

3 4,678
 06-30-2014, 01:32 PM
User Info
I agree! I'm actually amazed at how good they are today.

32 6,471
 06-30-2014, 01:41 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hmmm, for some reason, the video isn't playing in HD. I can go to You Tube and, in the settings, change it to HD but not here. I don't know how to correct that so it isn't going to look good here. Sad

2 11,211
 06-30-2014, 07:56 PM
User Info
* Freddy, the photos look fine to me! Unfortunately, I can't be of any assistance as I have never owned a cell-phone! Blush

(06-30-2014, 11:34 AM)Gago Wrote: Cell phone cameras DO came a long way, and thats from a guy who has a Canon Rebel xsi, altough not nearly as skilled as Celestino is.

* Gabriel, it is all in the editing, meu amigo! Biggrin

83 21,115