07-01-2014, 09:30 AM
User Info
Okay, some background: I used to use a preshave soap, and got some benefits from it in terms of slickness. I stopped using it because I found that preshave creams work better for me when I need it, and that most days I didn't need it because I had gotten better at lathering.

When I did use a pre-shave soap, I used several different kinds and they seemed to work just as well. I tried MRGLO (a melt-and-pour/transparent soap made of coconut oil and tallow), Dr Bronner's "Castile" (Coconut, palm, olive), and a couple of others.

Once I got interested in soap making, it occurred to me that I could make a pre-shave soap. The problem is, I'm not really sure that that means, in practical terms. I have a formula I've been experimenting with, that I think would work well. But as I am not really a pre-shave guy, I wonder if I'm off base.

So I ask you, pre-shave soap users, what makes a soap a pre-shave soap to you?

10 1,858
 07-01-2014, 10:15 AM
User Info
To me, that would be a good soap that softens my stubble and that do not leave residue. YMMV, off course, but I find that Dr Bronner's liquid soaps are just the thing.

3 4,373
 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
For me it's just a non-drying soap used to clean the dirt and oil from my face before lathering. It could really be any quality soap, but I do prefer liquid soaps for this. I recently finished a tube of Anthony Logistics Glycolic Facial Cleanser which I thought was fantastic. Now I'm using a tube of a Gillette product that is not impressing me. It's a blue, clear liquid that is probably more of a detergent than a soap. I bought it before i knew better. I think I'll be tossing it at soon as I can buy some facial soap I like.

0 836
 07-08-2014, 12:11 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-01-2014, 09:30 AM)Songwind Wrote: Okay, some background: I used to use a preshave soap, and got some benefits from it in terms of slickness. ... Once I got interested in soap making, it occurred to me that I could make a pre-shave soap. The problem is, I'm not really sure that that means, in practical terms. ... So I ask you, pre-shave soap users, what makes a soap a pre-shave soap to you?

This may not help you much, but -- since the Mind of Man runneth not to the contrary -- pre-shave soap has meant to me one thing, an one thing only: original Neutrogena: THIS ONE. Dermatologists have been recommending it forever for patients whose pores get clogged, because it rinses so thoroughly. There was a time, shortly after I started using a proper brush for lather shaving, that I eschewed all creams and specialty shaving soaps, and just lathered up with a bar of Neutrogena.

For years and years, immediately when I enter the shower in the morning, I have lathered up my hands with Neutrogena, and smeared the lather on my face to stay there while I complete the rest of my shower. (Recently, I have started to follow the Neutrogena on my beard with a drop of hair conditioner, but that's an experiment in progress.) At the end of the shower, I rinse it off completely, and my whiskers are soft.

I simply cannot imagine how you (or Porto Real, or anybody, for that matter) could possibly improve on Neutrogena for a pre-shave soap; it would be like trying to sing a better rendition of September Song than the Misty Miss June Christy did on the Purdue University campus (with Stan Kenton and the Four Freshman) in the 1950s: it can't be done.

0 1,049
 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
What qualifies as pre-shave soap will depend on your skin and beard. In my case, I have very oily skin and a tough beard. To hydrate the beard I have to remove all oil from my beard and face. So my pre-shave soap is one that will strip all oil off my face. I have been using pure castile soap to accomplish this.

19 565
 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(07-08-2014, 06:39 PM)matloffm Wrote: What qualifies as pre-shave soap will depend on your skin and beard. In my case, I have very oily skin and a tough beard. To hydrate the beard I have to remove all oil from my beard and face. So my pre-shave soap is one that will strip all oil off my face. I have been using pure castile soap to accomplish this.
This is the same reason I use Irish Spring. Not a ton of moisturizers; just soap and a fragrance that is familiar and doesn't hang around long.

2 1,683
 07-23-2014, 04:21 AM
User Info
I use the Cremo wash (which my wife liked straight away for her evening makeup-removal wash) and the Whole Foods 365 glycerine soap (a Michael Hamm tip). Bot are colorless and if there's an odor, I can't detect it.

8 896