07-02-2014, 01:39 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Any cycling fans out there? I'm excited that the race is starting in just a few days. Although I am not quite as avid a viewer of the TdF as I am the World Cup it's still an amazing sporting even that I enjoy keeping posted on the day to day standings.

The race this year starts on Saturday the 5th and will be an interesting one to watch this year with some big names missing.

I know that the recent press the cycling world has received has turned some away, but I'm still a fan. The sport will hopefully become cleaner and cleaner and the competition better each year.

18 1,186
 07-02-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
I can't wait for it. Going to be an interesting race for sure. Be interesting to see if Bertie's had his steak this time as he's been on good form.

Going to be a cracking weekend of sport for me. Upto Silverstone with my dad for our annual pilgrimage to the home of Formula 1, will catch most of the World Cup whilst we're up there and then head back to London Monday to then head into to town and try and get some viewpoint of the TdF as it flies through London for Stage 3.

8 244
 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
That would be awesome. I have yet been able to talk my wife into going to Europe to see the TdF. However perhaps I could finagle a trip to Europe that just happen to fall during the tour, and happen to be along the route at that particular time...Course this would mean I'd have to curb my excitement for the tour. I'm usually talking about it months in advance. She's been happy this year to be in Costa Rica while the World Cup is going on and not have to deal with me during it...LOL...

18 1,186
 07-03-2014, 08:14 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
A nice little breakdown of the Tours opening stages. This gets me very excited.

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/201...-this.html

A little profile and interview of the American favorite, and one to watch for sure through out the tour.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gea...ince-.html

18 1,186
 07-07-2014, 06:33 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
The opening stages have been quite exciting in my opinion.

Not a whole lot of surprises, some disappointments (Cavendish), but so far you are seeing pretty much who you would expect on the board. It was very sad to see Cavendish's tour end on the first day. It was a very unfortunate accident, and had to be really deflating for the team.

I'm pleased to see Tejay and Andrew on the board, lets hope that they continue to climb up the board.

Froome and Team Sky are really doing the country proud.

The scenery in England is absolutely beautiful. The camera crew has done a wonderful job. I so want to visit this beautiful country.

18 1,186
 07-07-2014, 07:03 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
It's a great race and a great sport. These guys are very skilled, drafting each other, getting into echelons to offer a wind break. Much like auto racing, they have superb teams to help them get across the finish line. Some of these stages are just incredibly dangerous too

19 742
 07-07-2014, 07:25 AM
User Info
The helicopter views are amazing to get a idea of the scale and terrain. I'm not as much of an avid fan as years past. Some of it just seems tainted from past riders who didn't follow the rules. It's still very exciting and fun to follow my favorite rider.

0 1,007
 07-07-2014, 06:44 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
With the third day done, it's been very exciting. What with the large sprinter getting another opportunity to get a stage win. Don't know much about Giant Shimano, but I'm not sure how much more we will hear from them in the stages to come. They certainly have taken advantage of their chances so far though. Still on the hilly course they had in stage 2 Kittle was so far behind that with 2 stage wins, he is not in the yellow jersey today. Think it was almost 30 minutes behind Nibali if I remember correctly.

Sagan continues to ride a smart race. Froome at 5th, Tejay dropped a little to 11th, but Andrew Talansky made up some room to 21. Shaping up really nicely so far. Stage 5 is gonna be interesting to see with Astana's car being up in front to combat any issues that may pop up on the cobblestones. Wish I could take the whole month off...

England is still beautiful. Told my wife we need to go. She agrees, but she also used to live there and misses it dearly.

18 1,186
 07-09-2014, 05:56 AM
User Info
Chris Froome just dropped out of the TdF. One spill too many, and the last one seemed to have damaged his arm.

It would have been good to have Bradley Wiggins to take over the leadership of the team about now.

37 1,743
 07-09-2014, 05:59 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(07-09-2014, 05:56 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Chris Froome just dropped out of the TdF. One spill too many, and the last one seemed to have damaged his arm.

It would have been good to have Bradley Wiggins to take over the leadership of the team about now.

Three crashes in 5 stages. 2 in the 5th alone. This is sad news indeed for Team Sky. He's a remarkable rider.

This is terrible weather for the Cobble Stage. They need to take it slow and smart today and get through the stage.

18 1,186
 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM
User Info
Sky still have a few people who can make a dent in the GC. Wiggins was not having the greatest year anyway.

Nibali has opened a massive lead on Contador. I think Contador can still make up the time with the mountains and the TT, but he's going to really have his work cut out for him.

Exciting stage today.

37 1,743
 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(07-09-2014, 07:23 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Sky still have a few people who can make a dent in the GC. Wiggins was not having the greatest year anyway.

Nibali has opened a massive lead on Contador. I think Contador can still make up the time with the mountains and the TT, but he's going to really have his work cut out for him.

Exciting stage today.

I've only been listening to it at work, but Nibali rode the smartest race he could have. He secured the yellow for at least the next few stages. Andrew Talansky managed to make a huge jump from 21st to 9th. Sagan picked up some more points and moves into third. Tejay manages to cling to 12th dropping from 9th (if I remember correctly). And Sky works extremely hard to put Porte in a position to make a move.

Crazy good stage. Can't wait to watch it tonight on Tour Prime Time.

18 1,186
 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM
User Info
Seen today's stage and it was the most dangerous I have seen in a long time. I have a cycling bike and an off-road one and I know how it is to ride in this conditions.

I'm hoping Rui Costa wines another stage this year.

1 202
 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM
User Info
Great thread!

I agree about yesterdays stage being dangerous, but it is all part of cycling. If Nibali keeps riding as consistant as he is, he may very well retain the jersey all the way to Paris. My concern is that Nibali might not be able to match the explosive and sustained climbing attacks from Contador. I don't know if there is a single person left in the race that can to be honest. Alberto is in top form right now and only a Wiggins or Froome style climber can maintain that mad power in the big mountains. We shall see. I have seen Nibali stay with the top GC guys on some really steep gradients so he may very well have the form to hold onto yellow. It should be exciting!

69 2,186
 07-10-2014, 09:29 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
I have to say. Seeing how aggressively he rode the cobbles yesterday. I'm very excited to see him in the mountains. He has this air of confidence about him, and if he doesn't feel his team can pull him through, at the level he wants to be at, he has no qualms about tearing off on his own. This is a trait that Contador has as well. He has no problems being by himself (which is unusual in a GC rider). This to me is the mark of truly a great cycler... The mountains are going to be very exciting indeed. Especially knowing that Nibali is such a great climber himself.

18 1,186
 07-10-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
Yep, but Contador can make up quite a bit of time in the Time Trial too. For my money, Contador is still the favourite.........but only by a hair.

37 1,743
 07-11-2014, 06:38 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
Mountains start tomorrow. This is where the race starts. Our GC guys have worked hard to stay with in range, we'll see if it payed off this weekend.

If I'm not mistaken the Time Trial is the second to last stage this year??

18 1,186
 07-12-2014, 07:44 AM
User Info
It was another fun stage to watch today. The French get their first stage winner this year. Kadri was phenomenal to hold out for as long as he did.

Contador was able to take a few seconds off Nibali, but he may be worried that he couldn't drop Nibali earlier (I think Nibali just let him have that three second lead at the end). Nibali was especially impressive as he was able to hold onto Tinkoff and Contador even without any of his own teammates around to help him.

37 1,743
 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
I too was highly impressed with Nibali today. I think Contador should be worried about him, and I think Nibali got a good boost in confidence on today's stage. Not sure if he can keep it up all through the mountains, but that isn't Astana's plan either. Course they definitely don't want to let Contador have the jersey either.

Was unimpressed with Talansky today. He might be too young and have to spend some more time learning what not to do, and what to do. He lost a lot of time today because of another crash. Gonna be hard to make up over 4 minutes.

Tejay also lost some time, but gained some confidence after yesterday's crash.

Glad to see that Porte has really stepped up into the gaping hole that Froome's departure created. He just keeps climbing the ranks.

Kadri did amazing and held the lead for so long. He deserved that stage win. Let's hope he continues to eat up those points and hold on to the Polka Dot jersey.

18 1,186
 07-14-2014, 02:27 AM
User Info
I'm looking forward to today's stage. This is the first real mountain stage, and Contador and the other GC contenders will have to decide if they're going to try for a breakaway on the last climb, which is a Category 1. There are many more grueling days in the mountains left, but there's a rest day tomorrow.

If Contador can take 30 sec from Nibali today, I think he (Contador) will be really happy. I'm not convinced that Astana has enough of quality to offer Nibali support through the mountain stages.

And who knows, maybe someone else will stick their noses in there and steal the race from these guys. Exciting!

37 1,743