07-02-2014, 01:51 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
About a month ago, my dad handed me a box of stuff that sat untouched in my garage till last Saturday when my wife, (the Garage Police), said "Are you going through that crap or should I throw it out?" I almost told her to throw it out, but had the feeling to look in the box first. So I finally plucked up the motivation to look through the box, and I'll be darned if I didn't find a Bunch of stuff I can use!

Everything was wrapped in newspaper so I assumed at first that it was breakable, but as I started to unwrap each piece I got a huge surprise...there were soaps!

I hit the Mother-lode!

I got:

A puck of Rexall Stag Shave Soap with a complete Soap in wood bowl of Rexall Stag Shave Soap - it's a curious wood bowl, in a square shape with STAG burned into the lid...My dad said he bought that the "day that Disneyland opened", which must have been somewhere around 1955, but I can't be sure.

a Colgate Cup Soap - this is the older one I think...I sniffed it but smelled of newsprint.

Cellophane wrapped puck of McGuire's Shave Soap with the Rexall drugs tag on it still - a whopping $5.49! I never heard of this one, but it smells like citrus of one kind or another.

A MWF in a zip-lock baggie - apparently he, like me, is allergic to the lanolin

2 x TOBS older tubs of Mr Taylor - Apparently his favorite of the bunch

A Yardley Oats and Honey bath soap - this is huge 8oz block of soap with a luxurious scent - The dollar tree ones don't smell like this at all!

a #53 Shave Stick, which I think is Gibbs - Got another recently and really liked the lather...the new one has scent, which makes it even better.

A Hershey's shave soap, but the bowl has mold or some other black stuff growing on the lid paper...could be coffee, but I ain't giving it a whiff...lol

A really old pack of Personna 74 blades, but they are stuck together and need an alcohol bath...

An OLD baseball with faded names on it...he couldn't remember whose they were...neat anyway!

And 6 - hot-wheels cars...an Ambulance, Fire-truck, 1967 Dart, and three of the fantasy cars with colored plastic parts...

All in all a great haul for some old box of junk!

71 1,468
 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
NEVER authorize the GPD to toss boxes of stuff without
personnaly inspecting them first ! Biggrin

0 1,291
 07-02-2014, 05:56 PM
User Info
Sounds like an Awesome Surprise to me!

46 1,102
 07-02-2014, 06:09 PM
User Info
Totally awesome. I am always baffled at how people didn't throw away those old shaving soaps and kept them either unused or lightly used. I'm not going to throw away any shaving stuff.

2 396
 07-02-2014, 06:11 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Anything that a dad gives his son should be "hands off" to the GPD. Enjoy this wonderful box full of goodies.

38 5,032
 07-02-2014, 08:09 PM
User Info
Great to hear about the little treasure you found, Matt. Smile

82 21,056
 07-09-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
Cool surprise, lucky man

0 62