07-03-2014, 05:16 AM
User Info
At one time I did not think that there was such a thing as to much menthol in a SS/SC. Love the chill and how it makes my face feel. I have tried lots of different ones too like Proraso, Lord, Ingram's, Lea, etc.

Recently, though, I got some Queen Charlotte's Iced Key Lime SC and I have to say I think it's to much for me. It's just so cold that it's almost painful for me.

Don't get me wrong, the SC works wonderfully well. Plenty of nice creamy lather that works very very well. I just can't take that much cold. And, of course, the longer you leave it on your face the colder it feels.

So here's the quandry. What do I do with the stuff? I've only tried it 4/5 times but not sure I can use it any more the way it is. Do I try mixing it with something else? Do I just let it sit and gather dust? Do I put it on B/S/T? Help!

4 952
 07-03-2014, 05:47 AM
User Info
Personally, I'd put it on B/S/T. That's what I did with my Shave Den Iced Sub Zero.

Superlathering it with a non-mentholated cream or soap would probably help, if you don't want to get rid of it.

10 1,858
 07-03-2014, 05:47 AM
User Info
I'd say see if you can trade it on the BST. No point in trying to force yourself to use something that makes you uncomfortable, and also no point in letting it gather dust.

I also don't enjoy hyper-mentholated soaps. A little cool is good for the summer months, but that's about it. I'm a little more tolerant with cooling aftershaves, but I'd rather not be frozen during the actual shave itself.

10 2,062
 07-03-2014, 05:56 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(07-03-2014, 05:47 AM)taborcarn Wrote: I'd say see if you can trade it on the BST. No point in trying to force yourself to use something that makes you uncomfortable, and also no point in letting it gather dust.

I also don't enjoy hyper-mentholated soaps. A little cool is good for the summer months, but that's about it. I'm a little more tolerant with cooling aftershaves, but I'd rather not be frozen during the actual shave itself.

I could'nt agree more with you. No point in using what dont please us a 100%.

I had the Iced Key Lime too, and did not care much about it. i thought that, living in Brazil, it would make every sense, but i discovered that i prefer a soap or cream with a light aroma (like T&H trafalgar or AoS ocean kelp) and use cold water rather than a menthol bomb. So i sold the QCS. =P

4 447
 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
Am I the only one who pretty much just doesn't like menthol? I don't have a single mentholated soap.

I guess I'd be OK with a mildly mentholated aftershave, and I have a couple that have a touch, but I don't really care for menthol.

2 1,387
 07-03-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
(07-03-2014, 08:25 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Am I the only one who pretty much just doesn't like menthol? I don't have a single mentholated soap.

* I don't care for it at all in a shaving soap.
I do like Dr. Bronner's Peppermint bath soap, though. Biggrin

82 21,056
 07-03-2014, 04:58 PM
  • glaze3
  • Las Vegas
User Info
(07-03-2014, 08:25 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Am I the only one who pretty much just doesn't like menthol? I don't have a single mentholated soap.

I guess I'd be OK with a mildly mentholated aftershave, and I have a couple that have a touch, but I don't really care for menthol.

I don't like them either. I have one in stock, Stirling MITA and never use it.

0 27
 07-04-2014, 06:25 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I enjoy menthol as long as it's cool and refreshing. If the fumes make my eyes water and it burns I don't enjoy it. I'm o.k. with anything to the Osage Rub level when it come to AS but prefer soaps a little milder.

12 743
 07-04-2014, 06:59 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(07-03-2014, 05:47 AM)taborcarn Wrote: I'd say see if you can trade it on the BST. No point in trying to force yourself to use something that makes you uncomfortable, and also no point in letting it gather dust.

John and Celestino are right, there are way to many options to keep going with something that won't work for you after a few good tries. I would BST or... you could send it off to Jamesrobson5 I hear that he likes that type of soap.Angel But seriously, BST it you don't want it to become a forgotten product in the back of the drawer.

28 1,619
 07-05-2014, 07:11 AM
User Info
I personally love extreme menthol. I use it all year round, but it feels especially good in these hot Texas summers.

2 396
 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
Al's Chill Whip reinforced with a dose of Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol pre-shave can push things to an eye watering limit. Extremes are nice for those special days...

0 619
 07-05-2014, 01:04 PM
User Info
Got an trade offer and all is well. Thanks for the comments/advice

4 952
 07-06-2014, 03:37 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
For me the colder the better. I find the Stirling Glacial soaps absolutely perfect. The Yeti Snot isn't exactly warm either, but the Glacials have much better skincare, IMHO.

3 2,626
 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
Just Used Stirling Lemon Chill Today JAYDEE and it was nice.

46 1,102
 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM
User Info
As stated above, BST to sell or trade. Glad that you got a offer. I just used Synergy Frost Byte for the first time and it's helping me answer the question if it's possible to have too much menthol. Biggrin

112 354