07-03-2014, 07:23 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I ordered a few 20mm finest F2 knots from TGN a while ago and what I got was not what I expected, nor was it what I got before for F2 from TGN. Before F2 was a two band knot with a bit of a stiffer hair shaft and whiter, longer tips. Now what I got in 20mm is a three band with very short grey tips. I did not try the knot in a brush. I sent it back to TGN as I am just not familiar with this stuff. Tony at TGN told me on the phone that this is what F2 is now and the product varies from batch to batch and it is indeed a black badger knot, just does not have the two band look to it. It definitely did not feel like the "best" or "silvertip", but more like a finest, but still, I did not want to take a chance with it before finding out from the community what these are all about. The larger size F2 at TGN are still the familiar two band items with longer softer whiter tips.

Anyone have any experience with these new TGN F2 finest knots? Are they good? Bad? Worth the premium?

Thanks!

--
Vladimir

26 1,737
 07-03-2014, 09:30 AM
  • JrReyes
  • Cartridge Converter
  • Ft. Worth, TX
User Info
I just bought the same 20mm finest F2, for a handle that i converted from horse hair. I agree with you that the color was not what i expected, nor the density i had heard about from other reviews. the finest f2 knot came highly recommended, but im still in the process of breaking it in this week before making a solid determination.

19 277
 07-03-2014, 01:03 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I have no experieince with the F2 knots.

I can say with certainty, that the standard Finest knots are an excellent value. I like them so well that I have 9 of them in various handles.

As always, YMMV, personal preferences apply, etc.

57 1,568
 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Standard TGN finest knots are the best values in shaving brushes today, I think. They easily outperform Simpson Best and many other name brand brushes. I have been making brushes with them for a long time. When F2 came on the scene I tried a huge 28mm knot in F2 and really liked it. The price of a 28mm F2 is the same as the regular finest, so it was a no brianer. When I got the 20mm F2 I did not know what to make of it. So I sent it back in exchange for a regular finest in 22mm. Those are known excellent over-stuffed knots I've been using for years now. This is why I am creating this thread. To create some knowledge base for this new version of F2. Just based on looks I am not too crazy about it. But as I have never used it I can not comment further. Let's continue to discuss...

26 1,737
 07-03-2014, 01:34 PM
User Info
I ordered a 26mm F2 and did not care for it. It was not a clear 2-band or 3-band. It also had less density, backbone and softness than the regular Finest. To me it was inferior to the Finest, which I feel is an outstanding knot.

48 5,727
 07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
I had an F2, it was too scritchy for me

31 1,800
 07-03-2014, 11:31 PM
User Info
I've read enough posts from different members here and on B&B to not consider the F2 knot regarding its scritchiness.

I've got 4 of the finest knots though. Both the 22mm fans have gel tips, the 24mm bulb had semi gel tips. Then the 24mm fan was an interesting hybrid with very soft Snow White tips that I associate with being gel like but they haven't curled after 8 uses (the 22mm did it immediately).

The super finest didn't curl for me either. It has density similar to the regular finest. The hairs are thicker and give it better backbone but the soft tips are longer. Basically great cushion with soft but not gel like tips. I've asked Rudy Vey (for a third time) to make me a custom brush with a larger version of this knot.

4 146
 07-04-2014, 08:42 PM
User Info
I have many brushes with various TGN knots. and my experience with the F2 is that it has what appear to be three bands (at least the two that I have). It is definitely more scrubby vs the two band finest. I personally don't care for the F2, and stick with the two band finest, and Grade A silvertip from the TGN lineup.

Paul

0 24
 07-05-2014, 06:33 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
So from many of the posts here I can see that the 3-bandish F2 is not as favorable as the regular two band finest. That's good to know.

However, there appear to be two kinds of F2 knots at TGN (I really wish they made different monikers for different knots). I bought and used a large 28mm and 26mm F2 knots and they do have the two band look to them and longer whiter tips. Those are really good knots! At least I liked them every bit as much as the regular two band finest. They seem to be a bit stronger in backbone, but very soft in tips. Excellent combination. The three band looking F2 knots, however seem to be a different story.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It really helps. I think I will stay away from F2 from TGN at this point. I hope their regular finest knots stay as good as they have been.

26 1,737
 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I like the F2 I have. In the pic you can see the tips are just starting to curl or hook a little. IIRC, I think the loft is 52mm for the 28mm knot. I'm not very discriminating but I don't care for prickly or scritchy in a brush.
[Image: P1010001.jpg]

12 743
 07-05-2014, 07:10 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(07-05-2014, 05:59 PM)oscar11 Wrote: I like the F2 I have. In the pic you can see the tips are just starting to curl or hook a little. IIRC, I think the loft is 52mm for the 28mm knot. I'm not very discriminating but I don't care for prickly or scritchy in a brush.
[Image: P1010001.jpg]

Your picture shows the F2 I like as well. The larger size F2 knots have looked like that, but when I received a 20mm F2, it looked nothing like that and didn't even have a two band look at all. It had three bands, greyish tips, but not as floppy as best, so I think it was probably from the same species of badger as the two band, just slightly different than what I was used to. I will hold off buying any F2 for now as it is just not a well known entity at this point.

26 1,737
 07-08-2014, 12:59 PM
User Info
Last year, I ordered a 26 & 28mm F2 knots from TGN and within my same order the two knots were different.

Colour banding, tip colour, density, backbone and then as I used the brushes the performance also followed what I expected; the "3 band" knot splayed and lost even more backbone compared to the 2 band knot.

[Image: PA013075_zps3522d483.jpg]

[Image: PA013074_zps49ea0295.jpg]

[Image: PA013071_zpsac0912c7.jpg]

I contacted TGN, their response...

(07-06-2014, 10:52 AM) Wrote: I checked our entire batch of the 26 F2 finest knots and you're right, they all are a 3 band look instead of 2 band. It is the same finest hair, this batch of 26 F2 just happened to have a less distinct 2 band look and is just a bit softer and more flexible. If you would like I can exchange it for a regular 26 finest knot.

Both had very soft tips and served a purpose in my brush rotation, however I'd be dubious about buying again.

0 47
 07-08-2014, 11:59 PM
User Info
Tony at TGN is a good person to deal with and has always been polite and responsive with my questions and concerns with him personally. The 26mm F2 intrigues me but a 26mm bulb is rather large. If the the smaller ones had the same track record as the larger versions I might try one in a cheap handle.

The smaller knot does look very similar to a WSP superfine though

4 146
 07-10-2014, 12:15 AM
User Info
I have bought many knots from TGN from all the categories (except the Mountain silvertip)
The Finest never worked well for me.

0 353
 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM
User Info
I've made a number of brushes with the 22mm F2 and everyone who's bought them loved them. You're right. They are a three-band--and are a little scritchier than the Grade A or Silvertip Premium, but for whipping up a lather from soap in a mug or bowl, they seem fine to me.

2 586