07-03-2014, 10:57 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

My young grandson, who happens to live next door with my daughter and her husband, frequently visits me in the morning in the shave den. For a while, he was constantly reaching for my silvertip brushes. Finally I decided to set him up with his own shaving gear.

Oh, young Henry is only 2 years old.

His older brother Max, 5, is way too busy with computers and reading to care about shaving at this time, but I have plans for him, too, when I feel he is ready.

In addition, each boy has his own set of double edge razors already: Gillette Aristocrat, Fatboy and Red Tip. They are stored in my shave den closet. Naturally, someday in the far distance, they will share my straights. Far distance, I said, since I'm not planning any journeys to that barbershop in the sky.

I might as well start them early. Gentlemen, have you traditional shaving plans for your children and grandchildren?

In the meantime, here is young Henry's shaving gear. The double edge is the Yuma (no blade, of course); the straight is an old antique butter knife; and the cartridge razor a toy; one brush is the Van der Hagen and the other a toy.

[Image: 4Lmix8K.jpg]
[Image: lzIVWej.jpg]
[Image: lwnVgGX.jpg]

153 3,128
 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Outstanding Obie.

One of my grandsons (the oldest) has a Schick G1 Injector (no blades) and an Edwin Jagger 19mm synthetic brush. He practices his lathering with some Proraso Green and a stainless bowl I got from Phil.

In a few years either myself or my son will show him how to insert a blade and how to remove that peach fuzz.

179 23,928
 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
The little fellow will have fond memories of this. Way to go, Grandpa!

Where did you find the toy brush, by the way? My six-year-old has been absconding with my Omega 48 and it would be fun for him to have his own.

8 948
 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Nice "grandpareting" Obie, beautiful. I wish i had a grandpa that did that too =/

I try to do everything i can with my 5yearold boy. I would go out with him, i bike with him, i bath him, i take him ho "help" me wash the car, i give him some innoffensive tool whem i'm fixing something.... but unfortunally, whem i try to have him next to me while shaving,like my dad did, he gets the iPad and disappear Biggrin

Maybe in another 5 years Tongue

4 447
 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Rory,
I think I bought the toy razor for him from Target.

153 3,128
 07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
User Info
Very cool Obie! I bet he likes shaving with Grandpa! Those are some wonderful memories he's building too!

21 555
 07-03-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
(07-03-2014, 10:57 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,

My young grandson, who happens to live next door with my daughter and her husband, frequently visits me in the morning in the shave den. For a while, he was constantly reaching for my silvertip brushes. Finally I decided to set him up with his own shaving gear.

Oh, young Henry is only 2 years old.

His older brother Max, 5, is way too busy with computers and reading to care about shaving at this time, but I have plans for him, too, when I feel he is ready.

In addition, each boy has his own set of double edge razors already: Gillette Aristocrat, Fatboy and Red Tip. They are stored in my shave den closet. Naturally, someday in the far distance, they will share my straights. Far distance, I said, since I'm not planning any journeys to that barbershop in the sky.

I might as well start them early. Gentlemen, have you traditional shaving plans for your children and grandchildren?

In the meantime, here is young Henry's shaving gear. The double edge is the Yuma (no blade, of course); the straight is an old antique butter knife; and the cartridge razor a toy; one brush is the Van der Hagen and the other a toy.

[Image: 4Lmix8K.jpg]
[Image: lzIVWej.jpg]
[Image: lwnVgGX.jpg]

You are a good grandfather, Obie.
You will never regret it.
There is nothing better that you can give them - love.
Which sometimes comes wrapped as a shaving set.

Mickey Oberman
An old (ready for 'great' ) grandfather of three now adults.

0 65
 07-03-2014, 01:26 PM
User Info
Excellent, Obie! Smile

83 21,109
 07-04-2014, 06:08 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Wonderful, Obie. I loved your letter to your grandchildren and have shared it with others. They are so fortunate to have you next door and to share these moments with you. I loved watching my father and his father shave in the morning as a young child, and more than sixty years later, have vivid memories of Old Spice and Mennen's aromas. I don't have grandchildren, but recently discovered that my son was enjoying wet shaving, and set him up with a Feather AS-D2 and Feather blades, a hand made brush from Zen Shave, and a couple of pucks of my favorite soap. Although he lives in a different state, we've been able to talk about wet shaving through email. The next step will be to try to get him into straights!

38 5,196
 07-04-2014, 06:20 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words.
Richard, I did not have the chance to watch my father shave, because he was gone most of the time, and I never saw my grandfathers shave. I missed that part of youth. Being a writer, I try to imagine it instead. Indeed, such memories are life's treasures.

153 3,128
 07-04-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
(07-04-2014, 06:08 AM)evnpar Wrote: Wonderful, Obie. I loved your letter to your grandchildren and have shared it with others. They are so fortunate to have you next door and to share these moments with you. I loved watching my father and his father shave in the morning as a young child, and more than sixty years later, have vivid memories of Old Spice and Mennen's aromas. I don't have grandchildren, but recently discovered that my son was enjoying wet shaving, and set him up with a Feather AS-D2 and Feather blades, a hand made brush from Zen Shave, and a couple of pucks of my favorite soap. Although he lives in a different state, we've been able to talk about wet shaving through email. The next step will be to try to get him into straights!

Allow me to second Richard's thoughts, Obie. Shaving (and, of course by that, I mean "wet shaving") is a skill that should be taught by fathers and, even better, by grandfathers. Well done.

4 647
 07-04-2014, 09:57 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Brad,
Thank you for the kind words.
I already have converted both my daughters, one son-in-law, a cousin and my wife to double edge razor shaving. The ladies have opted out of using a brush — they have their own shaving creams — but love their razors. Of course, they have a lifetime supply of quality double edge blades. Now, I must keep after the young boys to defend against the cartridge razor and canned goo Satan and stay true to the gentleman's way of shaving.
By the way, I am impressed by your woodwork. Good show. Imagine passing on that talent and skill to your children and grandchildren.
Which reminds me: I have meant to ask you about the possibility of making me a shaving brush. I'll be in touch via personal message.

153 3,128
 07-04-2014, 10:06 AM
User Info
It always delights me when I have the opportunity to provide encouragement, Obie. And happy to craft a brush to your specifications.

4 647
 07-04-2014, 10:48 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Brad, thank you. Personal message on the way.

153 3,128
 07-05-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
You live next to each other? What a blessing, for you and for them.

6 860
 07-06-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
This is so cool. It's also cool that you live next door to your grandson and you can be close by for him.

2 396
 07-06-2014, 01:54 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
That's great! Since I only have girls, I will have to wait for a grandson to pas down the lore. It's going to be a long wait.

0 1,137
 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words. Indeed, I am lucky to have my daughter and grandsons living next door.

153 3,128