07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
User Info
I seem to have a problem controlling the urge to purchase every shaving item I see. I am 57 years young, and pretty much have been wet shaving most of my life, although there has been a few concessions with some Gillette shaving gel and a multi-blade cartridge or two. These times of weakness have happened while traveling (once my DE was confiscated) or during times of drought (try finding wet shaving gear in some places on this planet). I believe it was about seven years back that I discovered a different wet shaving forum and realized that there were places that I could purchase gear from that did not require an eight hour drive to a major Canadian city to go to the only barber shop that I knew had wet shaving gear. The DE that I lost to Air Canada was my 'only' current razor, all the rest sitting in a box in the dark someplace no longer known to me. It had seemed to me that Gillette and Schick wanted us to shave more often because they would package a few blades with a brand new holder, which was much too tempting for me. I am pretty certain that the ones that I summarily dismissed are crying the blues - I wish I had that box now.

After finding the other forum I realized that there were others like me, who needed another source of supply for our daily ritual. I found a store online and actually paid cold hard cash for a razor (Merkur) and some blades. I treated myself to a badger hair brush, I believe my first. I am certain that the best the drug stores have given up to me were boar. I also picked up some Mitchell's - which I had not been able to find for years. I have been suffering the Gillette tube'o gunk, Old Spice in a cup or Williams Mug soap. I was in heaven, or so I thought.

First came a Gillette Tech from the earlier part of the cycle, then a few Gillette butterfly razors, a couple of straights, some leather, more soaps, more brushes, more razor blades, more razors . . . I just couldn't stop.

After a lot of therapy with my wife (you don't want her brand of therapy) I managed to settle down to a few items, a couple of techs, a Merker, a box of feather blades, one silver-tip brush and two soaps. I thought I had the monkey beat.

Today a big box came in from a mail order provider - with a HUGE Thater silver-tip brush, a couple of soaps (with dishes), some aftershave, some blades. Yesterday I went to a local shop that has started stocking wet shaving supplies (and wow, they have great stock) and bought some aftershave and another Merkur razor. I put a deposit on a Feather D2 and another brush. I'm afraid that I am breaking down, I am afraid of my wife.

Please help - don't let me go down like this.

Michael.

0 13
 07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Michael.

102 18,650
 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Welcome Michael!

4 447
 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Michael, welcome to The Shave Nook. Nice introduction but don't look to us for help. We are all members of the enablers club. Wink

Are from Canada?

178 23,808
 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
User Info
Welcome Michael! W-E-L-C-O-M-E, we've been waiting for you! Biggrin

21 555
 07-03-2014, 12:35 PM
User Info
Welcome Michael to The Shave Nook. We can't even help ourselves let alone you. Of course your joking.

121 13,119
 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
User Info
Quote:. . .deposit on a Feather D2 and another brush. I'm afraid that I am breaking down, I am afraid of my wife.

Ah yes, I guess I should add that I am from Calgary AB. When I lived nearer to the coast I used to come back here to Calgary because my barber (Chinook Barber in Chinook Mall) used to have a small cabinet with shaving gear. My barber has since retired, and he was the one that stocked that cabinet. There was also a very good knife cart in the same mall, that sold DE, SE and straight razors. The straights were always shave ready. That has since disappeared as well. However now I have a bigger worry. One of the very popular knife venders in Calgary has been quietly stocking his two Calgary stores, and his four other locations with some of the best of wet shaving history. He is going to move the four or five cabinets of gear out of one of his stores into a shave-only shop. From his description he is going to have everything built around a large counter with sinks and mirrors so that people can try, and learn wet shaving. I am certain that I am doomed. Please take care of my soaps, and take my brushes out for a shave now and then. And put fresh blades on my tombstone.

.michael

PS - I am not related, indebted or in business with the above mentioned shop. I do however have a love-hate relationship. One with the contents of the shop and the other with my wife. Time will determine which is which.

0 13
 07-03-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook and great introduction! Smile

83 21,077
 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Michael, and enjoy your stay. Smile

Unfortunately, I really don't think I can help quell your acquisition disorder. Rolleyes

2 11,211
 07-03-2014, 03:30 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook, Michael Biggrin

95 2,590
 07-03-2014, 03:31 PM
User Info
Michael, welcome to The Shave Nook! Smile

2 5,547
 07-03-2014, 03:53 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Michael!

26 4,927
 07-03-2014, 04:33 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Michael, welcome to The Shave Nook. Glad you are here.

If you don't want to make your wife angry, I suggest you stay away from the BST boards...LOL...

18 1,186
 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM
User Info
welcome to the Nook !

1 495
 07-04-2014, 12:06 AM
User Info
Hello Michael, welcome to: " The Shave Nook " Relax & Enjoy.

Charles U.k

0 2,428
 07-04-2014, 12:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Greetings Michael, welcome to the Nook.

99 18,011
 07-04-2014, 03:41 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Michael

31 5,293
 07-04-2014, 03:53 AM
User Info
Michael, welcome to The Shave Nook. Glad you chose to become a member.

32 1,746
 07-04-2014, 04:31 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Welcome!

0 1,137
 07-04-2014, 05:14 AM
User Info
Welcome

0 85