07-03-2014, 05:48 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
All-

My wifemate is very supportive of my wetshaving activities.

She recently saw a black badger knot and thinks I need to get one to put in one of my vintage handles.

If anyone would share their experience or views on black Badger hair, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks

MaxP

60 1,599
 07-05-2014, 09:11 AM
User Info
I have black badgers brushes and i have worked with black badger knots
For me is the BEST all around knot,i have them in 22-24-24mm.
I had problem with Whipped Dog and Virginiasheeng in their black badger knots but from TGN and FS i am very satisfied.
Black badgers are a little bit scratchy but not as some Horsehair knots,they have great backbone and create fantastic lather
They look pretty and will keep you happy while lathering with them in your face.
I couldn't "live" as a shaver without black badgers brushes.

Heart

0 353
 07-05-2014, 08:06 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
@Doryferon. Thank you for sharing your experience.

60 1,599
 07-05-2014, 08:49 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Black "pure badger" doesn't have the tapered tips of "best" and "silvertip" badger, so it is not as soft. This varies a lot depending on the quality of pure badger.

I have had some pure/black badger brushes with very stiff lofts (Omega, Simpson, and Rooney). These would be very scratchy if used to face-lather. The Rooney perhaps a little less so, as the company appears to fray the tips (though not the case with their Heritage line). I have had one or two others (Semogue) that weren't stiff at all, though they would still be scratchier than "best" or "silvertip" for the lack of tapered tips.

The scratchy effect isn't an issue lathering in a bowl, in which case pure/black badger can provide very efficient lathering.

- Murray

4 1,150
 07-06-2014, 08:45 PM
User Info
The only black badger brush I had was WSP and I found it too scratchy for my liking.
(I also had a tweezerman but i don't count it as a shaving brush)

6 827
 07-07-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
We offer three types of knots one of them being black badger. In comparison with the silvertip the final ends are not quite as pliable as the silvertip. I recommend it for people who are starting a collection or for those who have limited disposable income.

Compared to boar much less stiff and each hair is not a wide. I'm not familiar with the horses.

0 135
 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
Black badger hair is good, do not hesistate to try it out Smile

0 62
 07-08-2014, 12:56 PM
User Info
(07-05-2014, 08:49 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Black "pure badger" doesn't have the tapered tips of "best" and "silvertip" badger, so it is not as soft.

Can not compare Black with other kind of badgers
Not even with Boars,only with the Brown Horse knots.

Quote:The scratchy effect isn't an issue lathering in a bowl, in which case pure/black badger can provide very efficient lathering.

Some guys have tough beard and a scratchy brush can do better the "massage" than a silvertip
I am an Open Comb lover and many times soft knots leave "exposed" against them.

0 353
 07-11-2014, 06:39 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have a cheap pure badger. I tried to retire it, since I have other much nicer made boars. But I had to pull it out again. Because, cheap or not, I missed it.

2 1,683
 07-12-2014, 03:26 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Black badger is usually the most affordable hair grade.
It is characterised by a firm and solid feel against the face...

99 18,011