07-05-2014, 05:14 AM
User Info
We celebrated the nation's and my birthday (a little early) with a soggy cook out. We had torrential rain all day. Still we had a good time.

Particularly me. I got some fabulous pen related gifts.
Ink, field notes with wood veneer cover, a pen and The Hobbit.
[Image: t0SyZBX.jpg]

I got a bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji (azalea) ink. I like the vibrant color and love the pilot inks and bottles.
[Image: Ajutx7A.jpg]

The pen is a Retro 51 Tornado Lincoln Extended. It comes in a cool cardboard tube with a nostalgic scene on it. The "extended" version is 1/2 inch longer than the regular version so it can take a converter. It came with the converter, 1 blue and 1 black cartridge.
[Image: LgNUa9i.jpg]

The pen is burnished copper and looks like a penny.
[Image: 57OFRYe.jpg]

It has a fine stainless steel nib mounted in a plastic grip. The cap screws to close and friction fits to post. The cap is heavier than the pen. But I have no issues writing with it posted.
[Image: fA3cWbg.jpg]

I inked it with the azalea ink. It feels great in my hands and writes very smoothly. It is very classy looking.
The ink is wonderful. Great to write with and a bright happy color.
[Image: xjFafJ6.jpg]

Lastly is the leather bound copy of "The Hobbit" by J R R Tolkien. It was given to me by my daughter. In our family if you give a book you write an inscription to commemorate the occasion.
So while the book it's self is not pen related my daughter added a little pen geekiness at the bottom of the inscription.
[Image: dbUEGaD.jpg]
She include the pen, nib and ink info for the inscriptionBiggrin Innocently asked "Isn't that what you pen geeks do?"

I also got non-pen gifts: some Stirling soaps I am dying to use, a Spiderman t-shirt and a fly fishing vest. All in all a lovely day.

Phil

7 363
 07-05-2014, 05:24 AM
User Info
Awesome gifts! I almost got that ink for my wife & I to use but went with Kosumosu (Cosmos). They are great inks and I love the vibrancy of their colors as well as the smooth writing and quick drying properties.

31 8,057
 07-05-2014, 06:03 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have to agree with Phil and Brian in that Pilot Iroshizuku inks, while expensive, are well worth the cost. I have to thank Phil and Mary Lou for getting me my first bottle and Johnny for feeding the addiction.

Phil, that pen is beautiful. I like the copper color. Use it in good health.

2 11,211
 07-05-2014, 05:01 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I've always enjoyed the look of the Retro 51 Tornado, and the copper one, just exudes elegance to me. Glad to hear that it really writes well too. I look forward to hearing your continued thoughts of this pen as you use it more and more.

I learned to read to Tolkien's "The Hobbit". Wonderful book. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Happy Birthday Phil.

18 1,186
 07-06-2014, 02:10 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
That's a great set of gifts, Phil. The Hobbit tops it all for me, but that inscription is perhaps the most priceless.

0 1,137
 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM
User Info
Some great gifts! Enjoy!

1 346
 07-06-2014, 06:16 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Phil! Great gifts!

83 21,077
 07-07-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
nice set, looks really fancy

0 62
 07-18-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
(07-05-2014, 05:01 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: I've always enjoyed the look of the Retro 51 Tornado, and the copper one, just exudes elegance to me. Glad to hear that it really writes well too. I look forward to hearing your continued thoughts of this pen as you use it more and more.

I learned to read to Tolkien's "The Hobbit". Wonderful book. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Happy Birthday Phil.

I have used this pen for two weeks now. Mostly for letter writing. I took it to camp and spent time each day using it.

It is a great pen. Always starts right up, never skips and writes smoothly. I have read reviews of users complaining of top heaviness when posted but this is not an issue at all for me.

It has become my favorite writer supplanting pens costing much more. It just writes so well.

Phil

7 363