07-05-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
My parents died a few years ago. My mother had been working on our family tree history, as a sort of gift for my dad, whose parents had died when he was a small child, and she had traced both her side and his back to the late 1600s. So just recently my sister was cleaning out boxes of old stuff my folks had stored and came across several large boxes of paperwork from the genealogy study and correpondence. Since I'm retired, and because as I get older family history for some reason becomes more important to me, I offered to take them and resume work on the tree. Has anyone here worked on their family genealogy with online sites or tools? If so, what would you recommend for or against using?

207 12,263
 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Great timing John. As I become older my family genealogy has become more important to me also. Hopefully your get some good responses.

8 1,363
 07-06-2014, 08:45 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've been working on my family tree for the last three years. I build my tree on Ancestry and have the worldwide membership. I also use Scotland's People, Genes Reunited, Family Echo and the Church of the Latter Day Saints, but I've found Ancestry to be the most helpful. I now have over 1,600 people in my family tree and have been able to trace the maternal-side of my family back to the late 1400's. On my father's side it has been much more difficult because he's from Aberdeenshire, Scotland and the records there are quite poor prior to 1850; because of this I engaged a researcher in Edinburgh to assist me. This proved very fruitful as she discovered that the family surname had been modified in the early 1800's. I've also used the resources of the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Society to find the graves of my great, great parents, several great aunts and other relatives. I find the whole family research endeavour very rewarding and enlightening, but it can be time consuming and exhausting. I returned from a holiday in England on Wednesday and while I was there I met one of my maternal second cousins who I found out about on Ancestry. Also, last October while visiting friends in Aberdeen I met one of my paternal second cousins who has lived there all her life. I could go on, but please feel free to ask me more specific questions either here or by PM.

7 909
 07-06-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
I just subscribed to this thread...have been thinking about trying to do this for the past couple years. It seems like it will be pretty time consuming.

31 1,800
 07-06-2014, 02:05 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
After my mom passed away, I took to working out the family tree, starting completely from scratch. I did all of my research using the tools and databases at Ancestry.com. I've been able to build a complete tree going back to my great grandparents on both sides, and for my purposes, that was completely sufficient.

0 1,137
 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM
User Info
(07-06-2014, 01:42 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: I just subscribed to this thread...have been thinking about trying to do this for the past couple years. It seems like it will be pretty time consuming.

Yes, but since I'm retired I have lots of time. The initial huge chore will be just going through all the boxes of records, catching up on what my mother did over many years.

207 12,263
 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM
User Info
which software are you going to use to keep this information documented?

I'm curious because I started to roughly do my family tree off and on for the past few years and have tried a few different softwares out there.

I'll have to post the links to the ones I've used when I get home from work.

40 5,830
 07-06-2014, 02:37 PM
User Info
(07-06-2014, 02:31 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: which software are you going to use to keep this information documented?

I'm curious because I started to roughly do my family tree off and on for the past few years and have tried a few different softwares out there.

I have no idea what software I'm going to use. That's why I started this thread, because I'm a complete novice at this. I suppose I'll read some reviews of different programs, but I thought I'd pick your brains first.

207 12,263
 07-06-2014, 04:18 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-06-2014, 02:37 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(07-06-2014, 02:31 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: which software are you going to use to keep this information documented?

I have no idea what software I'm going to use. That's why I started this thread, because I'm a complete novice at this. I suppose I'll read some reviews of different programs, but I thought I'd pick your brains first.

As I've said, I've been building my family tree on ancestry.co.uk, where all the information, documents, photos, etc. are stored, but as soon as I purchase Family Tree Maker I'll be linking the two. You can also download the family tree and supporting data to a GEDCOM, which is free. Every so often, however, I'll print off the new information so that I have a hard copy record of my research.

7 909
 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM
User Info
Best of luck to you, John! I guess since you are retired and love historical components, this should be a fun task. Smile

83 21,077
 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
One of the basic choices is to decide whether you want all of your data in the cloud using FamilySearch or Ancestry

OR

using local software. I use RootsMagic, but there are others.

Family history is a great work. Congratulations for your interest. Genealogy is a significant activity on the internet. There are lots of resources.

For hand-on learning, you can look up a local genealogical society or an LDS Family History Center.

Be warned. Wink Genealogy work can become pretty attention grabbing. Even more than wetshaving!

60 1,600
 07-07-2014, 03:20 PM
User Info
(07-06-2014, 02:37 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:

MyHeritage has a nice piece of software that you can download and install on your computer for free. I have it installed and use it when I feel like adding more information to my family tree.

I also tried finding software that could display the family tree on a web site. I used webtrees for this, though I'm not crazy with how it looks.

Finally, since I prefer open-source software, gramps is a very popular and free genealogy software. I tried this before but was having trouble with it. I'll very likely install it and try it again soon.

40 5,830
 07-07-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
(07-07-2014, 01:53 PM)MaxP Wrote: One of the basic choices is to decide whether you want all of your data in the cloud using FamilySearch or Ancestry

OR

Family history is a great work. Congratulations for your interest. Genealogy is a significant activity on the internet. There are lots of resources.

For hand-on learning, you can look up a local genealogical society or an LDS Family History Center.

Be warned. Wink Genealogy work can become pretty attention grabbing. Even more than wetshaving!

are there any free resources out there to find information on your family? I'll be honest, I haven't dug deep into the whole genealogy spectrum so I don't know a whole bunch of sites to use for this type of stuff.

I know of ancestry.com. That can get pricey after a while...

40 5,830
 07-07-2014, 05:49 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(07-07-2014, 03:24 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: are there any free resources out there to find information on your family?

I think FamilySearch is a free site.

MaxP

60 1,600
 07-07-2014, 09:11 PM
User Info
(07-07-2014, 05:49 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 03:24 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: are there any free resources out there to find information on your family?

I think FamilySearch is a free site.

MaxP

it seems to be...nice.

thanks!

40 5,830
 07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
as an FYI, I just installed gramps without any problems.

40 5,830
 11-06-2014, 11:49 PM
User Info
(07-07-2014, 01:53 PM)MaxP Wrote: One of the basic choices is to decide whether you want all of your data in the cloud using FamilySearch or Ancestry

OR

bumping this as I had my Mom start to put together more of the family tree on paper so that I can then input the data into software.

are you using the free or paid version of rootsmagic? I'm using the free version so I'm not sure if this is a limitation because of that or not, but how do I get it to show siblings of people added to the chart?

40 5,830
 11-07-2014, 07:14 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(11-06-2014, 11:49 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

OR

bumping this as I had my Mom start to put together more of the family tree on paper so that I can then input the data into software.

are you using the free or paid version of rootsmagic? I'm using the free version so I'm not sure if this is a limitation because of that or not, but how do I get it to show siblings of people added to the chart?

The author of RootsMagic has done a great piece of software so I support him/it by using the paid version.

I am a novice. There are very good videos on his site.

60 1,600
 11-07-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
So cool people going back!!

I can trace my family history back to 14th century Italy. I didn't do any of the work but my wife and I did do DNA testing to see how far back my Euro heritage goes. Well....my DNA traces back to east Africa 50,000 or so years ago. Slowly moving into southern Europe. It's a blind test and it determined that I was Italian, which I am!! No test is perfect but it is a fun conversation topic.

3 218
 11-07-2014, 02:24 PM
User Info
(11-07-2014, 01:36 PM)Rallypoint_1 Wrote: So cool people going back!!

I can trace my family history back to 14th century Italy. I didn't do any of the work but my wife and I did do DNA testing to see how far back my Euro heritage goes. Well....my DNA traces back to east Africa 50,000 or so years ago. Slowly moving into southern Europe. It's a blind test and it determined that I was Italian, which I am!! No test is perfect but it is a fun conversation topic.

interesting. what's the cost for the DNA testing you've done? do they do the research for you?

40 5,830