07-06-2014, 07:20 AM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Hi Gents: Hope all is well with you and your families. As a huge Weber DLC fan... I am curious to know your thoughts on the iKON DLC heads.

Is it worth getting? Does it shave better than the Weber DLC? I am looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks in advance and happy shaves to you all.

WARHAWK

12 333
 07-06-2014, 07:51 AM
User Info
Good question but way too premature to make that evaluation because very few if any received the new iKon DLC razors or heads. Also its worth noting not too many people even got the Weber DLC because of its short run and has not been in production for a while. Knowing the quality of the iKons I am confident they will be excellent shavers.

121 13,119
 07-06-2014, 09:59 AM
User Info
Mel, you may just have to try one for yourself, really, because unless Ikon got the exact same coating as the Weber, you will never know until you try one, unfortunately.
I have used the Muhle Jet and had a cerakote graphite black coating applied to my Weber PH head and neither of these coating matched my Weber DLC which seems to have a 'thicker' coating that 'slows' the shave or causes some kind of 'drag'. I have yet to find the exact 'DLC' coating on a razor and, unfortunately, doubt I will ever find it.

It really is unfortunate that Ed Weber has discontinued his DLCs.

83 21,077
 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
(07-06-2014, 09:59 AM)celestino Wrote: Mel, you may just have to try one for yourself, really, because unless Ikon got the exact same coating as the Weber, you will never know until you try one, unfortunately.
I have used the Muhle Jet and had a cerakote graphite black coating applied to my Weber PH head and neither of these coating matched my Weber DLC which seems to have a 'thicker' coating that 'slows' the shave or causes some kind of 'drag'. I have yet to find the exact 'DLC' coating on a razor and, unfortunately, doubt I will ever find it.

It really is unfortunate that Ed Weber has discontinued his DLCs.
Hi Celestino: Unfortunately, you are right. I will eventually purchase one probably at the end of the summer. Glad you tried the Muhle Jet so that is one DLC razor that I won't be purchasing.

Ed from Weber Razors... if you are listening, kindly bring back the Weber DLC. I can assure you that once you make the DLC head that it will sell like hot cakes.

WARHAWK

12 333
 07-06-2014, 11:03 AM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
(07-06-2014, 07:20 AM)warhawk Wrote: Hi Gents: Hope all is well with you and your families. As a huge Weber DLC fan... I am curious to know your thoughts on the iKON DLC heads.

Is it worth getting? Does it shave better than the Weber DLC? I am looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks in advance and happy shaves to you all.

WARHAWK

Curious, when you write "is it worth getting"

Would you be referring to a single stand alone head design?,

or

[Image: slantblack.jpg]

[Image: ikon_open_comb.jpg]

[Image: ossgood.jpg]

[Image: ikon_standard2.jpg]

Thank You...

7 244
 07-06-2014, 11:14 AM
User Info
They look beautiful Greg, looking forward to getting a few. Will we also get to see a DLC version of the 101 at some time ?

95 2,590
 07-06-2014, 11:51 AM
User Info
I keep trying to resist as I have zero complaints on the stainless versions of these razors. But I get dragged back in every time I see a photo of the slant.

44 486
 07-06-2014, 12:08 PM
User Info
Mine arrived yesterday, but unfortunately, I didn't check my mailbox until today. Time will tell whether or not the coating makes a difference in shave quality. Regardless, the new coating is beautiful....[Image: KkJYQd8.jpg]
[Image: afjsqEf.jpg]

42 208
 07-06-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
Greg, it looks great with the Tuckaway handle, congrats!

95 2,590
 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM
User Info
(07-06-2014, 12:37 PM)Jmartz Wrote: Greg, it looks great with the Tuckaway handle, congrats!

Thanks John. As soon as I saw the Tuckaway, I knew I had to have one. I definitely prefer handles that are less than 80mm in length. I'm getting ready for a short trip, and the Tuckaway is going in my shave kit....

42 208
 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM
User Info
so tempting !

1 495
 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM
User Info
Very Nice looking Razor!

46 1,102
 07-06-2014, 10:23 PM
User Info
Hey WARHAWK, It's funny you should say that because I contacted Ed a few days ago asking if he is going to bring back his DLC. He just got back to me tonight and in the email he said It's been a couple of years since they sold the DLC model, and don't have plans to offer it again.

Its to bad because I really wanted one of Webers DLC Heads to go with my Polished Weber BD Handle!

46 1,102
 07-07-2014, 05:11 AM
User Info
(07-06-2014, 10:23 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: Hey WARHAWK, It's funny you should say that because I contacted Ed a few days ago asking if he is going to bring back his DLC. He just got back to me tonight and in the email he said It's been a couple of years since they sold the DLC model, and don't have plans to offer it again.

Its to bad because I really wanted one of Webers DLC Heads to go with my Polished Weber BD Handle!

DLC is not a cheap process that is why only iKon at this time is producing them. Knowing iKon quality I know it will be first rate.

121 13,119
 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Seeing as we use the blade to cut our beards perhaps the blade should have this remarkable coating.....think about it looks great but other than pressing on the skin the DBC has NO effect on the cutting process....yes I have the complete Weber set and have tried every combination....at any rate someone should make better blades with DBC and see what effect that has....HuhLightbulb

6 2,023
 07-07-2014, 02:31 PM
User Info
(07-07-2014, 09:54 AM)Harvey Wrote: Seeing as we use the blade to cut our beards perhaps the blade should have this remarkable coating.....think about it looks great but other than pressing on the skin the DBC has NO effect on the cutting process....yes I have the complete Weber set and have tried every combination....at any rate someone should make better blades with DBC and see what effect that has....HuhLightbulb

* Harvey, that is a very interesting idea as it would be very intriguing to try a blade with a DLC coating, but I don't seeit being as sharp as regular DE blades, unfortunatley.

If you aren't satisified with your Weber DLC, you could simply send it on its way to Vancouver. Biggrin

* Personally, I have to respectfully disagree with you as I have tried over 100 DE razors and, for me, the Weber DLC shaves smoother than anything I have tried. The only variable being different is the coating, even when experimenting with similar styled heads. The ARC and PH are the exact same head, but they are just not as smooth; again, this is for me and I have gotten confirmation from a few others as well.

83 21,077
 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-07-2014, 09:54 AM)Harvey Wrote: Seeing as we use the blade to cut our beards perhaps the blade should have this remarkable coating.....think about it looks great but other than pressing on the skin the DBC has NO effect on the cutting process....yes I have the complete Weber set and have tried every combination....at any rate someone should make better blades with DBC and see what effect that has....HuhLightbulb

The safety bar on the Standard and the teeth of the Open Comb along with the top cap of both has contact with the skin. Although neither are directly involved with cutting the hair they do contribute to the razor glide which is one of the main reasons for using lather. DLC has a lower coefficient of friction compared to other metals. Yes, DLC looks great, but there is a reason for it too.

[Image: DiSoLJd.gif]

As for blades, a solid sapphire blade will make a sharper and longer lasting blade, but would no doubt be cost prohibitive. That said 99 of these sold for $100,000...

99 18,011
 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-07-2014, 02:31 PM)celestino Wrote: Personally, I have to respectfully disagree with you as I have tried over 100 DE razors and, for me, the Weber DLC shaves smoother than anything I have tried. The only variable being different is the coating, even when experimenting with similar styled heads. The ARC and PH are the exact same head, but they are just not as smooth; again, this is for me and I have gotten confirmation from a few others as well.

Agreed Celestino, its smoother because of the lower coefficient of friction associated with DLC as opposed to other metals.

99 18,011
 07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
How about DLC embeded shave cream then.....HuhLightbulb

6 2,023
 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-07-2014, 06:16 PM)Harvey Wrote: How about DLC embeded shave cream then.....HuhLightbulb

You certainly are an innovator Harvey! Tongue

99 18,011