05-17-2012, 05:05 AM
User Info
Since my first use I've read many great tips and received some solid feedback from my brothers of the boar, or Pig Heads as I refer to boar users.
The first thing I did was to try to split the bristle tips with 165 degree water and giving it a spin. Did it work? Sure enough.
I let it dry for 2 days, then soaked it in in hot water prior to use. Results. Totally different brush. The uncomfortable picky feeling is totally gone and the brush has a nice scrubby scritch, but it still needs more use; which will be much easier now that I'm not getting picked.

I can't believe how much the near boiling water changed the dynamics of the bristles. After my shave I rinsed the brush out, spun it and hung it to dry. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

9 451
 05-17-2012, 05:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Glad to here you have it sorted John. Enjoy your new, old SOC.

91 17,854
 05-17-2012, 05:24 AM
User Info
Wow John, sounds like a great transformation. I know super hot water & boars can be controversial topic. How much of the hair did you put into the 165 degree water? Just the tips, half the knot, most of the knot? Also, how long did you leave it in the water?

Thanks!

31 7,914
 05-17-2012, 05:29 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
165 isn't too terrible. Before we replaced the water heater I could get a solid 140F out of my tap. It's also nearly 50 degrees below boiling.

I wouldn't stick my hand in it or anything, but I bet the piggies didn't suffer much.

Edit: Math is hard

10 1,858
 05-17-2012, 05:39 AM
User Info
(05-17-2012, 05:24 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Wow John, sounds like a great transformation. I know super hot water & boars can be controversial topic. How much of the hair did you put into the 165 degree water? Just the tips, half the knot, most of the knot? Also, how long did you leave it in the water?

Thanks!

Just a smidge above the tips. The steam made me a little nervous, I didn't want the knot to fall out. LOL
I read about the 165 in the boar brush thread. Funny, I never seen that article before, but I'm glad I read it, there's very good information.

9 451
 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Great to hear. That's a quick turnaround. My SOC I just took a good look at last night and it looks like all the tips are pretty much split. I was just using the hot water out of my tap (I think I clocked it at about 130's) though I was test lathering twice a day for a little while (I sat the brush in front of a desk fan overnight to get it bone dry quickly). Now it's a really great feeling brush after it's soaked.

0 353
 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM
User Info
(05-17-2012, 08:19 AM)Brent Wrote: Great to hear. That's a quick turnaround. My SOC I just took a good look at last night and it looks like all the tips are pretty much split. I was just using the hot water out of my tap (I think I clocked it at about 130's) though I was test lathering twice a day for a little while (I sat the brush in front of a desk fan overnight to get it bone dry quickly). Now it's a really great feeling brush after it's soaked.

I was looking through the bristles and seen a good bit of split ends; which would explain the big change. I really want to speed the process along, but I don't want to go overboard either. I'm happy with the improvement and can live with it now. That picky feely was driving me nuts.

9 451
 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(05-17-2012, 10:24 AM)Johnny9 Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 08:19 AM)Brent Wrote: Great to hear. That's a quick turnaround. My SOC I just took a good look at last night and it looks like all the tips are pretty much split. I was just using the hot water out of my tap (I think I clocked it at about 130's) though I was test lathering twice a day for a little while (I sat the brush in front of a desk fan overnight to get it bone dry quickly). Now it's a really great feeling brush after it's soaked.

I was looking through the bristles and seen a good bit of split ends; which would explain the big change. I really want to speed the process along, but I don't want to go overboard either. I'm happy with the improvement and can live with it now. That picky feely was driving me nuts.

Yeah, I've heard some odd things people have tried to do to make the ends split from rubbing the top on sandpaper to putting a brush on it's side and repeatedly hitting the ends with a hammer.

0 353
 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-17-2012, 01:09 PM)Brent Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 10:24 AM)Johnny9 Wrote:

Yeah, I've heard some odd things people have tried to do to make the ends split from rubbing the top on sandpaper to putting a brush on it's side and repeatedly hitting the ends with a hammer.

I highly recommend that neither of the tactics are used. Talk about screwing up a good brush.

173 23,546
 05-18-2012, 06:01 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-17-2012, 04:28 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 01:09 PM)Brent Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 10:24 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: I was looking through the bristles and seen a good bit of split ends; which would explain the big change. I really want to speed the process along, but I don't want to go overboard either. I'm happy with the improvement and can live with it now. That picky feely was driving me nuts.

I highly recommend that neither of the tactics are used. Talk about screwing up a good brush.

I agree, doesn't sound advisable IMO.

91 17,854
 05-18-2012, 06:20 AM
User Info
There are 3 great ways to break in in bristle brush....Patience, Patience, and...........Patience!!!

0 77
 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
I have to agree with vitaman on this one, my SOC boar took 5 months of regular use for it to break in, longer then most I'm sure. I guess I got a super tough one. To stop some of the prickliness I removed about eight of the offending bristles, they were the thick clear ones that never split, I would say that they were in upside down. Once those were gone the tips have been very soft and comfortable.

3 68
 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(05-18-2012, 11:18 AM)steve g Wrote: I have to agree with vitaman on this one, my SOC boar took 5 months of regular use for it to break in, longer then most I'm sure. I guess I got a super tough one. To stop some of the prickliness I removed about eight of the offending bristles, they were the thick clear ones that never split, I would say that they were in upside down. Once those were gone the tips have been very soft and comfortable.

I actually had a bristle split from the knot up on my 1305, so it wouldn't surprise me if they got in there upside down sometimes.

10 1,858
 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 06:20 AM)vitaman Wrote: There are 3 great ways to break in in bristle brush....Patience, Patience, and...........Patience!!!

i would also say, use it, use it and use it!!! Hehe.

75 20,883
 05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 03:41 PM)celestino Wrote:
(05-18-2012, 06:20 AM)vitaman Wrote: There are 3 great ways to break in in bristle brush....Patience, Patience, and...........Patience!!!

i would also say, use it, use it and use it!!! Hehe.L

ExactlySmile

0 77