05-17-2012, 05:46 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Some thoughts to share:

After considerable testing, the best blades for the Joris — for me — are the Gillette 7 O'Clock "SharpEdge" yellows, Perma-Sharp Super and Derby. Fortunately I have a good supply.

After having gone through scores of blades through the years I have settled on above three in addition to Super Iridium, Personna, Astra, and Feather (which will be gone permanently once my stash is finished).

For what it's worth, gentlemen.

132 2,614
 05-17-2012, 06:05 AM
User Info
Obie, have you tried any of the older vintage blades, e.g. Personna 74, Wilkinson Light Brigade, or Schick Plus Platinums?

184 12,003
 05-17-2012, 06:12 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello John,
Yes, I have. They were good, but not good enough for me. My friend Lynn Abrams says I have tree trunks for a beard. He is right. I don't know how many different blades I have tried through the years, and in various model shavers, but none has served me as well as the ones I mentioned earlier. The Gillette yellows, especially, must have been made for me. I call the brand the Magic Blade.

Gentlemen moderators,
Forgive me, but I seem to have put this thread in the wrong section. A senior moment, what? Please kindly move it to the DE section. Thank you.
Obie

132 2,614
 05-17-2012, 08:00 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Obie, of your top blades, I've only tried the Yellows in my Joris and they are in fact a great match. You and other have mentioned Derbys and it has me intrigued as I put them away as 2nd-tier blades years ago. Perhaps another run with them is advised?

35 2,703
 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
On your recommendation I'm loading a Gillette 7 O'Clock "SharpEdge" yellow into my Joris tomorrow...

91 17,850