05-17-2012, 05:52 AM
User Info
This is the first CPM154 razor I've made. For the most part I've stayed away from SS for 2 reasons.
1, the comfort factor can be questionable at times.
2, The steel tends to be very hard on grind belts.
That being said I decided to test out some of the CRM154, a very fine grain SS steel. That claims to have better grindability .
As it turns out it does grind better and the shave last night wasn't bad. I'll spend a little more time on the stones and retest tomorrow.

0 93
 05-17-2012, 08:33 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
Nice classic lines Brian!

I've avoided stainless more for questions about austenizing. Does an air quench literally mean to pull it out of the forge and let it slowly air cool?

Been away from making razors for a bit here as I was cleaning up my restore pile to be done with that before I move. Hope to be pumping some out soon in the coming weeks.

Just noticed the new stamp - love it!

11 185
 05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
User Info
Thanks Joe,
It's a pretty straight forward design. No point spending the extra works on filing if it turned out to be a letter opener..lol

As for "air hardened" steel. 154CM ATS34 and CPM154 are most often plate quenched. Basically once you've heated it, pull it out and place it between two thick aluminum plates and add a little weight to the top. It's not difficult but different.

0 93
 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
(05-17-2012, 09:07 AM)MileMarker60 Wrote: Thanks Joe,
It's a pretty straight forward design. No point spending the extra works on filing if it turned out to be a letter opener..lol

As for "air hardened" steel. 154CM ATS34 and CPM154 are most often plate quenched. Basically once you've heated it, pull it out and place it between two thick aluminum plates and add a little weight to the top. It's not difficult but different.

Ok, that clears it up. Maybe when I get back into making razors I will look at stainless.

Reality is though that I only have 6 more weeks until I move and have to put my equipment in storage at my parents home. Will likely be 2 more years until I get a place again to have my shop. I'm sure my parents won't mind if I spend my Christmas with them making razors though....Shy

In the meantime, I have some blue steel, damascus and suminagashi steel I want to make some razors out of for myself and to sell.

11 185
 05-18-2012, 05:10 AM
User Info
That's a great looking blade, i've been thinking of having a blade made and adding my own custom scales, i really like the shape of your blade, i usually find custom made blades a little far out for my liking, they are either to big or they can be very gimicky there's some part of them that doesn't quite work for me. i'm glad you kept within the rules of good taste, lovely work thanks for showing me.

Jamie.

5 1,810
 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM
User Info
Jamie -

I'm with you on the blade design issue.

While a lot of custom razor makers are real artists, and I find their works great to look at, when it comes to actually using a razor, I like clean, simple lines.

The customizations - strange shapes, ornate tangs, spine work etc. cause too many issues when in use. For example, I had a Williams Purist, and found that to be too hard to strop, and there were razors by other guys too, hard to strop, or hard to remove all the water from after a shave, etc.

The customs I kept (a Livi, a Chandler and one of Brian's blades) all have simple lines, with a little tasteful work. Easy to shave with, strop and care for.

I'm not criticizing makers who do ornate work - I admire Jacques razors, and Bill Ellis' work, but they're works of art to me - not users.

37 1,731
 05-18-2012, 06:21 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow, that's a beautiful str8!

91 17,886
 05-18-2012, 07:10 AM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 06:19 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Jamie -

I'm with you on the blade design issue.

While a lot of custom razor makers are real artists, and I find their works great to look at, when it comes to actually using a razor, I like clean, simple lines.

The customizations - strange shapes, ornate tangs, spine work etc. cause too many issues when in use. For example, I had a Williams Purist, and found that to be too hard to strop, and there were razors by other guys too, hard to strop, or hard to remove all the water from after a shave, etc.

The customs I kept (a Livi, a Chandler and one of Brian's blades) all have simple lines, with a little tasteful work. Easy to shave with, strop and care for.

I'm not criticizing makers who do ornate work - I admire Jacques razors, and Bill Ellis' work, but they're works of art to me - not users.

I believe Yohann we are thinking along the same lines when it comes to custom razors, your analogy is the same as mine.

Jamie.

5 1,810
 05-18-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
Thanks guys for the nice words.
I think there is room for all type of designs. While there is no question I lean to the side of more traditional designs, there are plenty of guys that want a more exotic razors.
I do think there are some that are just over the top but not as may as you may think.
Everyone wants a custom for a different reason.
A steel, a shape, a overall look & size and some just like the fact they had a say in the final shape of a one of a kind razor.

There are others that see no reason for a custom razor at all.
Just goes to show the wide range of opinion in the relatively small community of straight shavers...Smile

0 93
 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM
User Info
Agreed, Brian.

There's certainly room for ornate works of art, and there are some real artists our there......thankfully.

Just because that's not to my taste, doesn't mean that there's no market for those items. It would be a bland world if everything was the same. Smile

37 1,731
 05-18-2012, 08:29 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
lol....It's ok guys, you can throw me in the group of makers that are over the top. Biggrin

I'm still struggling to find my spin on razors, but actually have plans to make a couple very simple, classic lined ones ala a TZ, or Livi style. I do enjoy pushing the limits a bit though, while still trying to design ones that have ease of stropping/use.

Great razor again Brian!

11 185
 05-18-2012, 08:48 AM
User Info
Joe -

I actually do admire your razors - I appreciate the effort that goes into designing and making them. As works of art, they're hard to beat.

When it comes to usage, though --- give me a nice, full-hollow, 5/8" Shumate any day.

Even my Chandler and Livi only get used about once every few weeks. It's too much of a hassle to take care of them.

There are other razors that fall into the 'very cool, but not easily usable' heading - I have a production Japanese razor that has a really wide smile. I love looking at the thing, but it's a pain to strop properly.

37 1,731
 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
User Info
Wow, that is a gorgeous razor, sir! Great job!

75 20,884
 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM
User Info
Very nice Brian.

0 56