07-08-2014, 04:30 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Is there anyone reading these boards who actually knows how the Progress is modified to the Mergress? If you can provide step-by-step instructions and/or put me in the right direction of someone who knows, I'd appreciate it. I've got some time on my hands and a Progress with a long handle to mess with.

1 796
 07-08-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
Hi Ted,
I can't tell you exactly but I do know the knob is pulled straight out. Then the knob is cut off leaving the shaft. Another (stainless steel)knob is machined and then cemented on the shaft and pushed back into the handle shaft. Others have tried it with good success including Greg (iKon razors) who fashioned a completely new one piece stainless knob but he no longer makes them. Another guy named Mers seems to have the entire conversion business to himself and that is why the Progress is called Mergress.

122 13,213
 07-08-2014, 04:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
From Mer himself...

[Image: pFbfzOr.png]

Mer also sold his machined knobs for self installation.

99 18,011
 07-08-2014, 05:56 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You can also stain the plastic knob that comes with it and play around with color and light sanding....there is another guy in England who does one called the ? ...but I can,t remember and BRW did some as well as did Elite...I have a one of a kind stone tipped one (gold quartz).Lees sell the Mergress but they are usually out of stock

6 2,045
 07-08-2014, 07:58 PM
User Info
The gentleman's name is Eric, not Mers.

83 21,113
 07-09-2014, 04:03 AM
User Info
Mer is his username on B&B

12 848
 07-09-2014, 05:10 AM
User Info
The gentleman's name is Eric Maier. Lee has an exclusive with him, if you ask Lee to put your name on a wait list he will. The razors are very nice, I tend to prefer the shorter Mergress to the Mergress XL, but YMMV. I believe Eric also sells direct, with you purchasing the razor and shipping it to him for modification, but don't quote me on that. If I'm not mistaken the other Progress mod that Harvey was referring to is called the Digress.

96 2,592
 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Yes, you can send Eric a Progress for conversion. He has a Mergress Order Form that he requires be mailed together with the razor. He'll email you an electronic copy of the form after you touch base with him. Last I checked, a conversion takes two weekends for him to complete.

2 286
 07-09-2014, 08:58 AM
User Info
Others have been known to do these modifications if you can find them. I have one modified by the late Cooncatbob. If I remember correctly it's Hoffritz branded Progress from the early 80's that is mechanically exactly the same as the Merkur but the materials are pre-pot metal. I'd have to check correspondence with him to be sure. This was around 2008 when I bought it and he mentioned he did very few of them because for him the effort wasn't worth the small price increase they demanded. Then again, he included some custom knob adjusters made out of material like cocobolo wood for decoration. As skilled as he was if he didn't think it was worth his time that's all the more respect I have for guy like Eric who've found a process to make it worth their while. If you're a machinist or just incredibly handy you may have to deconstruct one just to see how it's done.

0 223
 07-09-2014, 09:59 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Thank you gents! You have convinced me to contact Eric. Once I saw that it requires machining, I punted. The most mechanically innovative thing I have ever done was to successfully use one of those newfangled can openers that opens cans without exposing sharp edges!

Yes, I will contact Eric the Merster.

1 796
 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(07-09-2014, 05:10 AM)Jmartz Wrote: The gentleman's name is Eric Maier. Lee has an exclusive with him, if you ask Lee to put your name on a wait list he will. The razors are very nice, I tend to prefer the shorter Mergress to the Mergress XL, but YMMV. I believe Eric also sells direct, with you purchasing the razor and shipping it to him for modification, but don't quote me on that. If I'm not mistaken the other Progress mod that Harvey was referring to is called the Digress.

AAH ...but I DIGRESS!!!!

6 2,045
 07-09-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
Harvey's razor is actually the SweetgressSmile

122 13,213