07-08-2014, 07:51 PM
User Info
I am probably going to place an order on some blades to try tonight. I have not experienced much with blades because Feathers have been really good for me. Curiosity always gets the best of me so I am going to give some other blades a chance now.

What blades give a nice shave with a R89?

So far I am thinking I would like to try Silver Blues, 7 o'çlocks, Personna med preps, Gillette Super Blues, Bic, Polsilvers, and Perma Sharps.

If anyone has had bad experiences with any of the above listed blades in a MUHLE R89 / EJ DE89 Head, please let me know. And if there is a great blade out there I am overlooking, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance!

46 1,102
 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
User Info
This is really going to be very subjective as the blades that work for us might not, necessarily, work for you.
I would just keep using the Feathers if you really like them.

Having said that, the blades you have listed have very good reputations. You may also want to add the Super Iridiums, either the Polsilver or the original ones.
Good luck.

83 21,077
 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM
User Info
Thank you celestino! And yes, I plan on continuing to use Feather but I am starting to get the itch to try others haha.

46 1,102
 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
The blades you're looking at are great and I've used a few of them in my own 89. You might also want to check out Astra Sp and Personna Reds. They worked well for me in terms of smoothness. Not as sharp as Feathers or Silver Blues but quite smooth.

2 286
 07-08-2014, 09:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for the Reply Karlo! I do have some Astras but never used. I've tried Reds but weren't as smooth for me. I should mention that I have Coarse Hair.

My brother is actually going to send me some Silver Blues, 7 o'clock Blacks, Personna Med Preps, Polsilvers, Wilkinson and couple others. Im sending him some Floid Blue in return since hes never tried it haha. Hopefully I find a really good blade from that list!

46 1,102
 07-09-2014, 02:34 AM
User Info
I would add Kais to the list, find them superior to Feathers.

53 1,199
 07-09-2014, 01:09 PM
User Info
Never heard of Kais. I will definitely look into it! Thank you.

My other problem is that most blades are no good on my face. they tend to tug. I can use any blade no problem on my neck but my face is a different story. If I shave my face a little bit with an electric to trim the hair shorter, then I can shave my face with no tugging. But if I wake up and just shave with a DE then no blade is comfy for me. Feather would rank number 1 if I had to choose a blade to shave my face and no electric before hand.

My lather is fine and I work it in good before I shave. I think I may need to bite the bullet and invest in a pre-shave cream/oil.

46 1,102
 07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
What works best in my Edwin Jagger (same head as the R89) is: Iridiun Super, Gillette Siver Blue, Gillette 7oclock yellow, Gillette Nacet and Perma-Sharps.
Smile

4 447
 07-09-2014, 01:55 PM
User Info
Great to hear Gago! I have Iridium Super & Silver Blues on the way. Also have 7 o'clock Blacks and Med Prep to try. Perma-Sharps are on the List to try.

46 1,102
 07-09-2014, 10:50 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(07-09-2014, 01:09 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: My other problem is that most blades are no good on my face. they tend to tug. I can use any blade no problem on my neck but my face is a different story. If I shave my face a little bit with an electric to trim the hair shorter, then I can shave my face with no tugging. But if I wake up and just shave with a DE then no blade is comfy for me. Feather would rank number 1 if I had to choose a blade to shave my face and no electric before hand.

My lather is fine and I work it in good before I shave. I think I may need to bite the bullet and invest in a pre-shave cream/oil.

You could also try leaving your first coat of lather on your face for a minute or two before beginning your first pass. Some folks will even massage the first coat into the skin before relathering and then doing their first pass.

Apart from this, you can also experiment with a shallower angle and see if that allows the blade to cut without tugging.

Best of luck.

2 286
 07-09-2014, 11:11 PM
User Info
I've actually been massaging the soap in my skin like you mentioned the past couple days. I am not seeing a difference but I do only let it sit for about 30 seconds.

Tomorrow I will try letting it sit on the skin for two minutes and see if it helps.

Thanks for the Great Advice!

46 1,102
 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM
User Info
I completely forgot to leave the soap on my skin for two minutes before shaving today. It is not a technique I am accustomed to doing, so it will take some time remembering to add this into the routine.

46 1,102
 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-10-2014, 12:35 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: I completely forgot to leave the soap on my skin for two minutes before shaving today. It is not a technique I am accustomed to doing, so it will take some time remembering to add this into the routine.

Do you shower, then shave, in the morning? If so, you can do what I do: use your shower soap to hand-lather your face/beard right when you get into the shower (I use Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar Original Fragrance-Free, a super mild soap), and don't rinse it off until you are completing your shower. The soap in the shower will have the same effect as lathering when you start your shave and then waiting around for a few minutes, and you can get right to the shave when you exit the shower.

1 1,089
 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
User Info
Great Idea Mel and one worth trying if I can remember! I do shower in the morning and then shave. I normally just let the hot water hit the hair on my face for a few seconds. I will normally use extra Stirling soap on my neck area to soften the hair but I will now start trying it for the face as well.

Thanks!

46 1,102
 07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I travel quite a bit and take my Muhle R89 with me. The only two blades that I use in that razor are Personna Med Preps and Feathers. I've tried lots and lots of blades, and those two work the best for me in that razor (I've got thick, coarse whiskers and have to shave daily).....The only other blades that I use now, in slightly more aggressive razors, are Polsilver SI's and Gillette Silver Blues.

13 648
 07-12-2014, 08:22 PM
User Info
For me: Feather Pro

24 5,966
 07-12-2014, 08:26 PM
User Info
(07-12-2014, 08:16 PM)cmh8890 Wrote: I travel quite a bit and take my Muhle R89 with me. The only two blades that I use in that razor are Personna Med Preps and Feathers. I've tried lots and lots of blades, and those two work the best for me in that razor (I've got thick, coarse whiskers and have to shave daily).....The only other blades that I use now, in slightly more aggressive razors, are Polsilver SI's and Gillette Silver Blues.

I just shaved with a MED PREP in the 89 and all I can say is WOW! Youre right, the feather and med prep so far are the best blades for me and I use the R89 head. I am holding myself back from buying a hundred Med Preps until I experience a few more shaves with it.. but so far I'm Sold!

I have SI's and Silver Blues patiently awaiting to be tested!

I forgot to ask but how many quality shaves do you find yourself getting from the Med Prep blade?

46 1,102
 07-13-2014, 09:09 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I think your off to a good start Ellas318. It's better IMO to start with all the top blades as you have mentioned and been recommended...Set your bar high, so you'll know right away when your using a new blade whether or not it stacks up to the top tier blades you are used to. That being said I have found some great inexpensive blades that work well for me, although I generally use "Med Preps", Super Iridiums and Gil. Silv. Blues.

4 794
 07-14-2014, 01:33 AM
User Info
+1 with celestino great choice, just to throw in a couple more ....... Voskhod & (Gillette thin's it is always a " YMMV" thing.

Charles. U.K

0 2,428
 07-14-2014, 08:02 PM
User Info
(07-13-2014, 09:09 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I think your off to a good start Ellas318. It's better IMO to start with all the top blades as you have mentioned and been recommended...Set your bar high, so you'll know right away when your using a new blade whether or not it stacks up to the top tier blades you are used to. That being said I have found some great inexpensive blades that work well for me, although I generally use "Med Preps", Super Iridiums and Gil. Silv. Blues.

Thank you and I agree 100% with you and starting out with the Top Blades. I Didn't have the Greatest second shave with the Med Prep but it was still good. I still have two more Meds in my stash so I will continue to use them and determine if they are keeper. I am going to be testing out a Super Iridium in the next couple days and after that I will give the Silver blues a shot. I also have 1 Perma Sharp I will be trying and a couple of 7 o'clock Blacks.

I made another Stirling order last night, And I decided to invest in Rod's preshave oil. I'm hoping that helps out with my tough facial hair!

46 1,102