07-09-2014, 05:06 AM
User Info
I would like to offer TSN members the option to have a shaving brush custom made to your specifications. The only limits are component availability (sorry no elephant ivory handles or seal fur knots Wink) and your requirements. For years, a significant portion of my business has been devoted to crafting custom pieces for folks who wanted something unique or who could not find a commercial equivalent.

The process goes something like this.
  • It starts by your sending me a private message or email telling me what you're looking for. It's sometimes helpful to include a link (or links) to something similar, but certainly not required. (As a thought, I'm sometimes asked to combine design elements from two or more existing pieces. "I like this brush, but with....")
  • I acknowledge your request and create a detailed drawing (or drawings), complete with dimensions, for your approval along with a price range and estimated timeframe for completion. The big thing is: I want both of us to understand what you want so there are no surprises. We take as long as necessary to get things right at this stage. I've gotten pretty good at interpreting requests, but sometimes it takes two or three iterations to get things right.
  • After you approve the drawing, I'll order the necessary components (if not already in stock) and make your new brush.
  • After it's done, I'll send you a photo of the completed brush for your approval.
  • When you approve the photo, I'll email an invoice, which you can pay on-line via major credit card (or send me a check, if you prefer.)
  • I'll then ship your new brush via USPS Priority Mail (or First-class International mail) as appropriate.

I think you'll find my prices reasonable and my service pretty darn good! I don't ask for deposits simply because (a) I trust you and (b) I have a high degree of confidence in my work. I stand behind everything that comes out of my studio--unconditionally.

BTW, I'm working on a new line of custom D.E. razor handles. They're not ready yet, but hopefully soon Shy

I look forward to serving you.

2 610
 07-16-2014, 07:27 AM
User Info
Here is a bespoke shaving brush crafted for fellow TSN member (and new friend!) Obie. With his permission, I've named this the "OB" series as it was crafted to Obie's specifications, combining design features from two of his favorite shaving brushes.

Handle height: 65mm; diameter: ~26-37mm; material: sustainably-harvested, extra-fancy Cocobolo; finish: cyanoacrylic.

Knot: 26mm TGN Silvertip Premium

Loft: ~54mm

Overall height: ~119mm; weight 66 grams.

All brushes in this series will be specially numbered with an "OB" prefix and signed by me.

If you would like a brush in this series--or one designed to your specifications, send me a PM and we'll make it happen! (As with all my bespoke shaving brushes, handle materials, knots and overall design are yours for the choosing!)
[Image: EMJcfoQ.jpg]

2 610
 07-16-2014, 07:49 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Brad,

The brush looks fabulous, the work of an artist, and I am grateful for your creation. Good show, my dear friend.

150 3,020
 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
A beautiful brush, indeed!

Nicely done, Brad ... and congratulations, Obie.

102 18,649
 07-16-2014, 10:47 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That is a wonderful shape. Just beautiful.

2 11,211
 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
User Info
It has the lines of a chess piece.

8 915
 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM
User Info
I'm very happy you gentlemen appreciate this brush. The design was inspired by Obie's preferences. I just put two and two together.

Oh, and Rory...I'm a lousy chess player Blush

2 610
 07-19-2014, 06:23 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Here is the brush after its maiden voyage this morning:

[Image: KwPyUuK.jpg]

150 3,020
 07-19-2014, 06:42 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
What a beautiful brush, Obie. It looks like it would fit so nicely in the hand. I look forward to seeing it in your SOTD photos.

38 5,107
 07-19-2014, 06:46 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello Richard,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, it's a lovely brush and fits my hands perfect. The ergonomics are superb. Brad is quite a craftsman. By the way, the brush is on today's SOTD.

150 3,020
 07-23-2014, 08:59 AM
User Info
Following-up on Obie's kind words--and with his permission--I have begun offering a special "OB-series" shaving brush as one of normal line. I'm offering the "OB-series" as a "handle only" or with your choice of knots. Each carries a unique "OB-prefix" and is signed by me. Prices start at $35.00US for the handle alone, plus $6.00 domestic Priority Mail shipping. I'm currently able to offer TGN and WSP knots and am happy to explore other options on request. I also offer free initial shampooing of your completed brush (please allow an extra day for the knot to dry completely) as well as adding extra weight to the handles.

Handles I can ship within 2 - 3 business days with complete custom brushes within ~ 2 weeks of order date. Prices will naturally vary depending on your chosen knot.

Here are two examples... You can see more about them in my Etsy shop.
[Image: yA0UdeD.jpg]
[Image: QLQUcIz.jpg]

2 610
 07-23-2014, 09:11 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
The brush Brad made for me is exquisite in every way. Mine has to be the most comfortable, and beautiful, brush handle I have ever owned — and I have owned a parade of brushes through the years. You will love this brush handle, as I do mine. Good show, Brad, and thanks for creating a work of art.

150 3,020
 07-24-2014, 07:22 AM
User Info
Gentlemen: one of my suppliers suggested I offer, for your consideration, lidded shaving bowls in one of my signature styles. This particular piece is hand-crafted from sustainably-harvested Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa.) Generously sized to accommodate a 3" diameter puck, it's 1-1/2" deep to provide plenty of room for brush loading. At 408 grams (14.4 oz.), it's a substantial piece to top off your shave den.

I invite you to view additional photos and to learn more about this bowl by visiting my Etsy shop. Priced at $125.00.

I'm delighted to say that this piece sold this afternoon. If there is interest in another, please send me a pm.

[Image: bnPwtuK.jpg]

2 610
 07-25-2014, 09:22 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Beautiful Bowl!

4 794
 07-29-2014, 08:00 AM
User Info
Very nice stuff you make

0 10
 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM
User Info
I very much appreciate your kind words, Gentlemen. I try (or as my wife sometimes observes: I can be very trying Tongue)

Good evening, Gentlemen. I wanted you to know that I received an order of WSP knots today: 24mm Superfine, Silvertip and 2-band HMW; and 26mm Superfine and Silvertip. I'm also expecting on order from TGN (hopefully) tomorrow. That means I should be able to ship custom brushes within 2 - 3 days.

You may view a 24mm brush here and the full range of my current brush offerings on my Etsy shop.

Finally, I expect to list a new group of black walnut lather bowls tomorrow--very reasonably priced!

I hope you have a great and relaxing evening.

2 610
 07-30-2014, 06:22 PM
User Info
Gentlemen,

Here is another shaving brush in my "OB" series.

Handle height: 65mm; diameter: ~26-37mm; material: spalted White Oak; finish: cyanoacrylic.

Knot: 26mm TGN Silvertip Premium

Loft: ~54mm

Overall height: ~119mm; weight 80 grams.

While this brush is already sold, others can be had in a variety of woods along with knots from TGN and WSP, including a WSP 2 Band High Mountain white.

Thank you for your consideration.

[Image: 5zGY0eh.jpg]

2 610
 08-05-2014, 09:30 AM
User Info
Good afternoon, Gentlemen. I'm in the process of adding a number of new brushes, for your consideration, to my Etsy store.

All are available as "handle only" or your choice of knots as noted in the product descriptions. (Of course, bespoke variations are often possible...)

Here are some of them...
First, the fifth edition of the "OB Series" --named for our good friend Obie.
[Image: tbr7L6N.jpg]

Next, the sixth edition of the "OB Series" brushes shown with a 24mm WSP Superfine knot
[Image: 428dHy9.jpg]

...An "RS Series" in cold cast copper-filled quilted maple and chechen shown with a 24mm WSP Silvertip knot
[Image: kwANDqc.jpg]

And lastly, the new "Sedgley" in spalted white oak with a WSP 26mm 2-Band High Mountain white knot set at ~48mm.
[Image: CVpGnIc.jpg]

2 610