07-09-2014, 08:00 AM
User Info
I have been on the fence for a while now about stepping up to a slant razor. I normally use an EJ DE89 barley which gives me a great comfortable shave but really doesn't take care of my chin and neck area without touch ups after my third pass. Finally pulled the trigger and bought the Merkur 37C and gents it is ALL that is said to be!
I was careful to let the razor do the work and with two passes and very minimal touch up I can honestly say I had a BBS shave for the first time in a long time. Aggressive, not at all, EFFICIENT is the key word. I couldn't believe how close it shaved after the first pass. The shave was comfortable, smooth, and amazing, used a SuperMax Titanium blade and Proraso green which let the slant glide as if it was on ice.
If anyone is thinking about trying a slant, all I can say is don't wait like I did, it will be less time you can enjoy outstanding shaves!
Cheers,
Ivan

0 143
 07-09-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
Congratulations on finding an excellent razor.I had the 37G which Merkur stopped making some years ago. Slants are very addictive.

121 13,126
 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Nice for you! =)

I did not had the same luck with the 39c =/

4 447
 07-09-2014, 11:10 AM
User Info
Congrats, I felt the same way. Doesn't it make you want to retry blades you may have not cared for in the past to see how they perform.

4 355
 07-09-2014, 02:51 PM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 11:10 AM)Shakamoto Wrote: Congrats, I felt the same way. Doesn't it make you want to retry blades you may have not cared for in the past to see how they perform.

Definitely, Astra SP's were my go to blade till I tried Supermax Titaniums and Gillette Blues. I'll be trying them in the slant for sure!

0 143
 07-10-2014, 12:26 AM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 08:00 AM)IvanCro70 Wrote: I have been on the fence for a while now about stepping up to a slant razor. I normally use an EJ DE89 barley which gives me a great comfortable shave but really doesn't take care of my chin and neck area without touch ups after my third pass. Finally pulled the trigger and bought the Merkur 37C and gents it is ALL that is said to be!
I was careful to let the razor do the work and with two passes and very minimal touch up I can honestly say I had a BBS shave for the first time in a long time. Aggressive, not at all, EFFICIENT is the key word. I couldn't believe how close it shaved after the first pass. The shave was comfortable, smooth, and amazing, used a SuperMax Titanium blade and Proraso green which let the slant glide as if it was on ice.
If anyone is thinking about trying a slant, all I can say is don't wait like I did, it will be less time you can enjoy outstanding shaves!
Cheers,
Ivan

Those are pretty much my exact thoughts as well.

(07-09-2014, 02:51 PM)IvanCro70 Wrote: Definitely, Astra SP's were my go to blade till I tried Supermax Titaniums and Gillette Blues. I'll be trying them in the slant for sure!

I like the gillette silver blues in mine.

12 848
 07-10-2014, 06:12 AM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 08:00 AM)IvanCro70 Wrote: I have been on the fence for a while now about stepping up to a slant razor. I normally use an EJ DE89 barley which gives me a great comfortable shave but really doesn't take care of my chin and neck area without touch ups after my third pass. Finally pulled the trigger and bought the Merkur 37C and gents it is ALL that is said to be!
Cheers,
Ivan

I'll second all your remarks, Ivan. I received a Merkur 39c Barberpole slant yesterday with in my last order. Paired with an Astra blade, I found it extremely gentle, gentler than my EJ DE89 (previously the gentlest razor in my rotation), but wow(!) was it efficient! It handled most of my trouble spots in two passes. Some quick touch-up--not really a third pass--and I had the closest shave in years with no irritation.

I think I might have found a New Best Friend....

2 618
 07-10-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
mine 37c is on the way. hope to get it by monday. very excited !

1 495
 10-18-2014, 01:02 AM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
Merkur 37C is a damn fine shaving instrument! My favorite razor so far!

5 57
 10-18-2014, 01:33 AM
User Info
a good slant changed everything for me. long live the slant Badger

7 1,624
 10-18-2014, 01:47 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Cheers,
Ivan

I really agree also.

Just finished 4 consecutive days of shaving with the 37C slant using a different make of blade every day but the same soap and brush. Seems the Merkur 37C slant refuses to give me a bad shave no matter the blade I threw in it and it never loaded the blade cockeyed either. The shaves may not last quite as long by a hair as with a shave from the Muhle R41 2013 but it is not nearly as stressful to use either. I think it just bumped the Muhle as my travel DE.

Bob

0 1,694
 12-31-2014, 01:34 PM
User Info
Just purchased a 37C through BST, can't wait to try this baby.

13 133
 12-31-2014, 06:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I love my 37C and 37G...

[Image: y3ZRpKJ.png]

[Image: zSgwPJL.png]

99 18,011
 12-31-2014, 07:00 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
My hair grows on a slant, so I just use a standard closed comb or OC Smile

0 1,775
 01-01-2015, 08:32 AM
User Info
I love the 39C. Really, the only other DE razor I have that rivals it for closeness is the Mühle R41. I was intimidated by the slant for awhile, but it is really a marvelous tool.
My problem has been that, after using the R41 & 39C, all my other razors seemed too tame. I read a post here about shimming your razor and Voila, my tame razors are back in the rotation!
http://shavenook.com/thread-shims
I don't know how shimming a slant would work, but it's worth a try...
Euro

5 395
 01-01-2015, 03:24 PM
User Info
(12-31-2014, 01:34 PM)MikeDDS Wrote: Just purchased a 37C through BST, can't wait to try this baby.
Wow I just bought and tried my first not too long ago. It has easily become my most often used razor because of how nicely it shaves my neck area. Your gonna love it!

0 7
 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
I have the 37c, use it, and like it.

Even better, for my face anyway, is the Shavecraft 102 slant. You can get the head only (and use any other handle) to save money. Because the head is aluminum, it can cross-thread easily if using a handle made of a harder metal such as stainless steel; so use caution, and you will be fine. I find the 102 shaving angle to be almost automatic, and for me it provides a shave that is very smooth, comfortable, and close.

Slants are really catching on nowadays, and deserve the Nobel Prize.

16 350
 01-01-2015, 06:08 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
The 37C slant was an great addition to my rotation-now I'm waiting on my S1 slant from Above The Tie to compliment the R1 daily driver. I bought the iKon 102 but I couldn't get past the feeling that I wasn't holding it right (due to its geometry). The results were good. The 37C allowed me to position the handle just like all my other razors and it worked efficiently, and that's what I'm looking for in the S1. Slants are a great tool, no doubt about it

19 742
 01-03-2015, 07:07 AM
User Info
Used one today, gave me a little irritation - will take some getting used to. Cuts incredibly well though and requires almost no pressure!

0 10
 01-03-2015, 07:48 AM
User Info
Glad you posted this! I was just researching this razor this morning and so it's good to hear a happy new user. My main razor is my Merkur 180. I definitely plan on adding the slant to the mix in 2015. I saw someone mention this already but I do agree that it makes you almost want to go back and retry some blades that you may have ditched in the past.

1 44