07-09-2014, 08:30 AM
User Info
many gents must have shaved with their new DLC slants and some of them must be having merkur slant ( 37c or 39c ). this would be very helpful if they show some light while comparing them in terms of efficiency and smoothness. are the shaves 3 times better considering the 3 times price DLC SLANT demand over merkur slant. looking forward to your responses guys !

1 495
 07-09-2014, 08:50 AM
User Info
The Merkur slants like their other two & three piece razor I call the People's Razors. That is to say they do what they are supposed to do for the price but they are not the best. On the other hand iKon slants are precision built with better materials. As far as the shave is concerned the iKons are better shavers because the model is not a Merkur design but I believe a conglomerate of different designs rolled into one. And the current DLC finish enhance the shave even more. As far as price that is up to the individual and how much they can afford or want to spend. But you can't skimp on quality.

121 13,127
 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM
  • mjlinane
  • Afflicted with SSRAD
  • Round Rock, TX
User Info
My iKon Slant Gen 2 is definitely much smoother and more efficient than my 37c. Build quality, finish and materials are also superior.

6 76
 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
The fit and finish of the iKon is in a different league from the Merkur. However, for me, the shave from the 37c is excellent: smooth, close and irritation-free whereas the iKon (non-DLC) was very average and a massive disappointment.

1 220
 07-09-2014, 03:47 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I don't have the DLC iKon slant yet, but I owned the first generation (non DLC version) and I own the Merkur 37C and37G.

IMO, the iKon is better made and provides a smoother shave compared to the Merkur. However, I found the Merkur to be more manoeuvrable under the nose as the top cap is flat and not arched like the iKon.

99 18,011
 07-10-2014, 12:22 AM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 09:45 AM)mjlinane Wrote: My iKon Slant Gen 2 is definitely much smoother and more efficient than my 37c.

I'll have to try a gen 2 because I certainly wouldn't agree with that for the original.

There is still another slant with a different design in stainless coming out soon as well, right?

12 848
 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
That's right, its that triangular head when your looking at the razor from the side. I think its under the Shavecraft line of iKon if I'm not mistaken (thinking 102 or 201 or something like that). But don't think it'll be DLC as this and the main offerings from iKon are.

35 1,329
 07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
The 2ndGen I-slant is superior to the 37C, although I am an admirer of the latter and will keep it in rotation. The 2nd-Gen I-slant is also a bit smoother than its original counterpart although some more rigorous testing on my end should be done to firm up this conclusion.

My answer? Just get the darn thing.

1 795
 07-10-2014, 10:08 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(07-10-2014, 09:52 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: My answer? Just get the darn thing.

lol Biggrin

35 1,329
 01-31-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
I have both and both provides me a smooth shave, each with a slightly different cutting angles

The build quality of the Ikon feels a notch above the Merkur.  Both I think does its job really well, just if you would like to spend more for a stainless steel razor.

13 133
 01-31-2015, 07:56 PM
User Info
i own all three ikon dlc, ikon stainless and 37c. imo the ikons (either one) trump the 37c all the way around. now thats not to say the 37c is not a great razor ... it is. but fit and finish cant even be compared the ikons are in just an entirely different league. i also find the ikon slant to be one of the best razors i have ever used. if you want to try a slant and not spend a lot get the 37c. if you want better quality fit and finish and imo a better shave get the ikon.

as far as gen 1 vs gen 2 ...now me personally i did not find any differences between the dlc and stainless version except *maybe* a hair less and im splitting hairs here, blade movement. the only factor i see is the coating makes it glide a bit better when wet. the issue for me is the black drives me nuts. what i mean is ill admit im a bit ocd (okay more than a bit) and the black drives me nuts if i dont clean every part very well each time i use it. i also found it a bit harder to get it cleaned up flawlessly if i didnt clean it each time. this is why i much prefer the stainless older version, but he doesnt make these now (i wish he would bring back the non dlc stuff). for me the 102 is a totally different animal and when i had it i found the islant to be a much better razor, but i just picked up another head to give it another shot.

16 660
 02-01-2015, 06:12 AM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
I could not discern any tangible differences between the iKon stainless and the DLC slants, aside from the cosmetic ones. To me, each shaved equally as well.

The Merker 37c, though, has a markedly different head geometry which serves as something like a "For Dummies Slant" razor; another words, there is only one way to reach the sweet spot and to maintain the cutting edge. Put the razor angle too shallow or too deep and the blade will lift away from the skin.

Depending on your skill set and shaving experience, this is either a fantastic physics invention or a shaving gimmick, but it reality, it's actually both.

For this reason, the 37c is a fantastic invitation to the world of slant razors.

The other slants with rounded ("non angled") heads require much more finesse and dexterity to get BBS shaves from them. It's not that they're "hard" or "difficult" to use, but they will require an acclimation period in order to get your muscle memories attuned their needs.

Years ago, there was really one ONE choice when it came to modern slants and the Merkur filled this role admirably. Now, we've been blessed with vintage reissues with modern craftsmanship and materials and if you're a slant devotee, it's a fantastic time to be in the hobby.

-joedy

12 87
 02-01-2015, 09:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've owned both brands.  I sold my iKon and I own and shave with my 37C and 39C.

178 23,809
 02-05-2015, 05:40 AM
User Info
(02-01-2015, 09:50 AM)Johnny Wrote: I've owned both brands.  I sold my iKon and I own and shave with my 37C and 39C.

Exactly like me. My iKon slant (first gen.) had blade alignment issues, something that I didn't expected from a razor sold at that price tag.
Furthermore, it didn't gave me a better shave than my Merkur 37C, that cost about 1/5 of the price of the iKon.

As a result, I ended up selling the iKon. As for the 37C, it still remains on my den.

However, my favourite slant razors are none of those two...

2 5,547
 02-05-2015, 10:27 AM
User Info
I only have the 102 but I get better shaves from the torqued slants.

12 1,247
 02-08-2015, 05:50 PM
User Info
Well, it took me a while, but I gave the iKon DLC a try recently. It is a beautiful razor, and feels wonderful in the hand. Nice heft to it. 

The shave, on the other hand, was disappointing. Going off memory, it may be a bit better than the original iKon slant, but not much better. I could get a good shave from it, but it felt like I was really working for it. Basically, it was not efficient, is too expensive and is a disappointing shaver. 

I still have one Merkur Slant, and while it's not in the same league as the iKon when you consider manufacturing quality and look/feel - as a shaver it leaves the iKon so far back in the dust, that they may as well not be on the same planet. 

This is one man's view of these razors, though. I don't think the DLC is worth the money to me. Maybe if I shimmed it, it would work better,  but I shouldn't have to shim a razor this new and expensive. 

It's not for me, but may work for other people. 

I'll stick with my Merkur Slant. 

37 1,743
 02-08-2015, 06:44 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I love my 39c Vorschlaghammer. I have limited experience with iKon slants from a pass around. I got good shaves from it, but I think the Merkur is a better shaver. I prefer the 39 over the 37, due to the heft and length of the handle - it fits me better.

2 447
 02-08-2015, 07:30 PM
User Info
Ive always wanted to try a slant as I have pretty aggressive beard growth. This sounds like merkur is pretty darn good.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

0 858
 02-10-2015, 08:37 PM
User Info
Never had a Merkur slant
Did own 2nd gen ikon DLC slant. Key word did.
Sold it: 
1) shave was good but not great. DFS most times not BBS. Which might be a game of precision for some. However since I have a razor that performs better...
2) the quality of the DLC coating was "questionable" = uneven.

2 150